Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
Laney Hess

Smile Is anyone interested in renting their 5th wheel for about 6 months?

Hello happy 5th wheelers!

My husband and I are about to take on the exciting venture into our first home building experience, and through the process, we'd like to live in a 5th wheel on the property. We began looking at 5th wheels for sale, but the cost to buy one isn't making sense for us since we'd only have use for it for about 4 to 6 months.

While out shopping at RV dealerships, I started realizing how many people owned RVs and 5th wheels that they don't use most of the time, and began to consider how renting one from one of those people could be a win-win situation! The 5th wheel owners would get some extra cash, and we would solve our need to find a temporary living space for a few months while taking excellent care of the vehicle.

It would be just the two of us, we are nearing retirement age, we are not smokers, have no kids and no pets and would take exceptional care of your 5th wheel. Once moved to our secure, gated property in Vista, CA, it would stay in one place for the duration of the rental period, so risk of damage or accident is extremely limited. We are looking at this project to begin in February or March. The house is a simple 1200 square foot house and the builder has estimated 4 to 6 months for completion.

If you, or anyone you know may be interested in making some extra money while not using your 5th wheel over the next few months, please feel free to reach out so we can talk more about it.

Thank you and Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!!

Laney Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

There are companies that rent fifth wheels--just do a google search in your area. Not anyone I know would want to rent theirs out, no matter how little it is being used, nor would I if we weren't using it. Hope you get some volunteers, but I would be looking around locally--have you considered a small/medium Class C motorhome?

And, welcome to the forum.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
Notanlines

Laney, there are any number of RV rental sites online, generally germane to your part of the country. (RVshare.com) Most of the ads I've read put the price at $2500 to $3500 per month. Is that the kind of money you're expecting? $15-20K for the convenience of living where we are building seems a little high. DW and I would not rent our Suites out to anyone, but I'm sure a number of couples would. Good luck to you both in your search.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Laney Hess

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies!

...wingnut60, I'm not even sure what the different RV classes mean. I will have to do some research.

...Notanlines, that would be way too much money since we could rent an apartment for less than that.

Maybe we just need to be on the lookout for a used one and try to resell it when we're done. —Where's the best source for buying used?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
fjr vfr

Would you have hook ups at your location? If not you'd have to move it about every week to drain and clean the wast tanks.
If you have hook ups I might look for a used trailer and have the previous owner deliver. Once you are in the new house clean it up and put it on craigslist. Have the new owner pick it up. You need hook ups though to make it all work. Good luck
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
Laney Hess

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Would you have hook ups at your location? If not you'd have to move it about every week to drain and clean the wast tanks.
If you have hook ups I might look for a used trailer and have the previous owner deliver. Once you are in the new house clean it up and put it on craigslist. Have the new owner pick it up. You need hook ups though to make it all work. Good luck
Yes! —I forgot to mention, we will have hookups for power, water, and septic. Thanks for bringing that up!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
LTRSteve

Rv for rent

Hi, I live in So. Cal . I might be able to help you out. Contact me at ltrsteve@yahoo.com .

LTRSteve is offline   Reply With Quote