Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #1
dmascheck

A list of items to consider for a new fifth wheel owner.

Looking for any ideas or list of items I should consider being a new fifth wheel owner.

dmascheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Well items I used were Roto-Choks, they go between the trailer tires to help prevent movement. I added Winfield stablizers to the front and rear legs to really prevent movement felt inside the trailer when walking to running the wash machine. I added an extra whole house water filter that pre filtered the water before it entered the trailer. I added a Watts water presure regulator inline to protect the trailers water lines from bursting or leaking from over pressured water systems you will find as you travel. I added a Hughes Autoformer 50 amp to boost the parks power to a safe level when their electricty was low, that was not hooked up to run all the time, only when needed. I added a Progressive Industries surge protector to guard against parks low or high power and power surges to help keep all my applinances safe. I added TST tire pressure monitor system for all tires including spare. I added a Flush King to back flush the grey & black tanks when dumping. I purchased a collapsible ladder that would allow me easy access to the roof to use in conjunction with the factory installed, or to allow me to clean the front nose of bugs. I mounted large (10 inch) levels to the pin box and inside the storage boxes on either side of the trailer to aide in set up insuring I was level without having to run to only one location.
These were what I added to our trailer, not all at once but over time as I found a need.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
dmascheck

I appreciate the advice being a newbie. So much to learn and I doubt we will be living in it for now long term, but later????????

What about 50 Amp extension cord. Is it needed and what length?

Sewer line, do you have a preference and length?

So much to learn. How long does it take you to set up?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Over the years, I have learned that a 50amp extension cord can be real handy at times, but storage is always a problem. Usually, the 25' that came with the trailer + 25' extension fit every situation I ran into. It is really the pits to get all set up and find yourself 2' short of the pedestal---so, always be sure you can reach the electricity/water/sewer before unhitching.....
Sewer--many new brands on the market, I use Rhino. If you get the cheaper generic available, they will develop pin holes from wearing against the ground/floor of the storage area. I have 25 + 10 extension. A clear elbow to fit the drain will help to know when all the black tank is clean.
Setup--this should depend on how often you move...there is a routine that fits only you that will come to you with experience. 1) Spot the trailer best you can--straight to site lines (only for my personal satisfaction). 2) Be sure trailer is safely spotted to prevent movement--a chock system usually is needed to prevent movement. 3) Be sure trailer is level left/right before unhitching, using blocking/other methods. 4) Lift of truck and move it away from trailer. 5) Level front/rear with front jacks. 6) Hook up utilities. I usually hook to electricity just after leveling left/right, then do all the rest.
You will develop your own process after many moves and mistakes, happens to the best of us...
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
dmascheck

What's a guestamate time it takes for set up?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #6
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
From pull into the site, level, hook up water/sewer & electric, slides out, tv finding channels, maybe 15 minutes. That was after years of travel, back when first starting out, maybe 1/2 hour.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
dmascheck

I was afraid it would take much longer to get set up. Even a half hour is not bad.

I can see why some prefer the Motor home, and if you get tired you can stop at a truck stop or Walmart and rest the night. A trailer???? But then you have to pull a car.

In my case I need the truck for hauling hay and cattle or loads of supplies. Plus I have a 1967 GTO, A 1948 5 window Chevy Truck and a 71 Super Beetle. Just sold my 31 A truck. That hurt, but I needed a new roof and gutters and it paid my John Deere Tractor note off. Starting a semi retirement I wanted zero debt and then I bought the High Country diesel truck!(LOL)

I really appreciate all the help. I've made several purchase on Amazon based on your advice!

Again, many thanks!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #8
dmascheck

What type TV unit do you have? You using Dish? We have Dish at home and wondered if you buy the unit, can you use one of the cards in your existing unit in the house for play on the road? Hate paying for another unit when we have 5 in the house.

Better for the bolt on or the tripod unit?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Satellite for RVs is not my best subject, so someone else can answer better than I. Lots of people take a receiver out of the house and travel with it. I have found over the years, due to the mess of wiring both in the house and especially the RV, that a dedicated receiver for the RV works best for me. As to the sat unit itself--again, I have never had luck with the tripod units, so got one of the auto portables.
Again, a learning curve to this and good luck.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:17 AM   #10
dmascheck

I understand.

You have the unit permanently mounted? Or are you using an HD antennae?

We have so many movies purchased on Apple. We like the idea we can stream them as long as we have Wi-Fi. With us being in Europe for a month at a time, it's handy being able to watch movies in English!(GRI)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
wingnut60
Site Team

I have the first generation Winegard Carryout--7 years now and still performing. Stays in basement when not in use, place it anywhere there is clear view of southern sky. Portables are good for treed locations to find a clear view. I have also placed it on top when setup for several days. Would not recommend this one to be placed permanently on top--too large in my mind.
Anytime you mount one permanently, you can have problems when parking in a treed area. Some use both--one on roof and portable for heavy tree areas, but sometimes you just have to give up on seeing thru the trees.
I also us an iPhone app called DishPointer/DP AR Pro that allows me to see the sats and know where to place the unit with a clear view to the sats.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #12
dmascheck

Great point about the permanent mounting! Thank you!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #13
wingnut60
Site Team

When you get to that point, if making a reservation, ask if the space is 'satellite view' or some such description. Many parks understand that folks need to be parked where they can use the sat; kind of irritating to get sent to a space with tall trees to the south when you could have been 2 spaces over and away from the trees...
Old 12-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #14
MASTERDRAGO

I've added a few things some might not need.
Eartec UL2S Ultralite wireless microphone system
Omega 32225B heavy duty jack stands - 22 ton
YM W4255 extruded rubber wheel chocks
Husky 34914 10"wheel lube disc
Microflex diamond grip latex glove powder free 9.6" length 6.3 mils thick large
Duck brand select grip easy liner non adhesive shelf liner
2018 rand mcnally delux motor carriers road atlas
RMS heavy duty straight foot dual head slant chuck truck tire gauge TG-160
Bungee cord assortment
Loots of other stuff already mentioned like Watts pressure regulator and Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X portable surge protector
MASTERDRAGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #15
dmascheck

Curious about a couple of items and my I have.

How are you using this item??? Eartec UL2S Ultralite wireless microphone system

Are you supporting the whole trailer or just getting weight off the tires?
Omega 32225B heavy duty jack stands - 22 ton
Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #16
MASTERDRAGO

On the Eartec. The 1st time we tried to back the 5r into our driveway, it was clear that Joy yelling trying to communicate from the back of the 5r was not going to work. Ergo the Eartec - a lightweight hands free solution. They are full duplex (we can talk and hear each other at the same time). The audio sound quality is superb. Ours had a weak battery in the beginning that only charged to 3.4vdc and dropped to 3.1vdc after 2 minutes use. The customer service at Eartec is very good - sent a new pair the next day. The one issue with all Eartec talkies is the proprietary batteries. Well, also price. You cannot drop into CVS and pickup a spare battery!!

On the jack stands. When I went through the things I might need to change a tire in the middle of nowhere, I wanted to safely support the axle. I already had a 12 ton bottle jack I could dedicate to the 5r. One thing I did not mention on my AMZN list was a CDI 2503MFRMH 1/2" drive torque wrench 30-250# range.
MASTERDRAGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:22 AM   #17
dmascheck

We bought Walkie Talkies, but I like your idea. Another cheaper idea would be to get a headset for your IPhone. Then it would serve the same way assuming you get a signal.