Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #21
Teksun

Water pump check valve

Carny Bill

The check valve is in your pump, when this fails it will fill your fresh water tank when connected to city water. mine failed when the MS was just over a year old and replaced under warranty, this seems to be a common problem.

2005 F350 dooley
Teksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #22
Caseyj

If your system doesn't have a shut off valve between your pump and your fresh water tank, I would have one installed. Perhaps your unit was designed so that your water pump was supposed to shut off any city water from back flowing through your pump (check valve) into the fresh water tank. This makes for a convenient method of not having to manually shut off your water when using city water but evidently not full proof.

If you would install a valve between the pump and the fresh water tank, you would eliminate your problem. Then when you wanted to use the fresh water tank you would turn the valve on and off when you were on city water. Most RV's are set up this way.

I would then get a repair kit for your pump or clean out the existing one to make sure the check valve is operating as it should.

Caseyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #23
rverdlm

FWIW, I'm on my 10th RV lifetime and I've never had one with a valve between the fresh water tank and the pump. If water is going backwards through the pump it's because it has a ruptured membrain. The Sureflow pumps have a 3 year warrenty. I had mine replaced by CW. I just carried it in and walked out with a new one.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #24
Caseyj

Dave -

Don't mean to step on your credentials but my Hoiday Rambler and my current Sunnybrook has this arrangement. Evidently, I mistakenly assumed that this had a purpose.

If I were to buy one without this configuration, I would hate to rely on only my pump to prevent this problem from occuring. Therefore, I would install the valve. It's only a $5.00 investment. But that's me.

Be careful out there.
Caseyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #25
Carny Bill

pump

I personally contacted Shurflo concerning mine leaking. They are the ones that told me there was a check valve somewhere between pump output and the waterheater. I have looked an can not find any such valve.

Shurflo acted like it was someone elses problem.......an not their pump. Mine is an 06 and would still be in warranty if I can pin the problem on shurflo's equipment.
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #26
rverdlm

Casey; I don't feel steped on. I was just pointing out that I have not had a valve in any of my RVs and I've never had a problem with back flow into the fresh water tank in over 40 years of RVing.

Bill; There is a check valve between the pump and the water heater, but it has nothing to do with preventing city water from getting to the fresh water storage tank. The check valve is usually screwed into the water heater. The purpose of it is to prevent excess pressure from building up in the water lines when the water heater is turned on.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #27
Carny Bill

I have an expensive but easy fix. I ordered a new elite and it will be finished the 1st part of june. Thanks for the help....Bill

12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote