Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #61
Carny Bill

It failed also...gues I will have to call them...

12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #62
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Call the 800 number they are very helpful and professional.

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #63
RonS

I also need a little more time - Please let us know what you find out.
Thanks Ron
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #64
Carny Bill

I just got off the phone with the pres. He told me it should stay on for approx 45 seconds. We timed mine and it is approx 25-30 seconds. He did tell me to push the on button while it was still on. Thats make it cycle real fast and stays on for another 30 seconds. This does help.

Jim also advised me in a couple of months they will have a 90 second program available. and we can send ours in to be re-programed.

This at least helps somewhat...Bill
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #65
RodeWorthy

Level display timeout and leveler setup procuedure

I have the same issue with the display timing out too soon. I put that down on a wish list I sent to Dale. Have not heard back yet. I am hopeful it is a simple thing to change.

I tracked down JT after his email failed for me too. Apparently he prefers to deal with phone calls -not emails. I did receive assurance from his associate that despite what it says on the LV-1 website the sending unit does not have to be right over the axles. Ours is not so I was curious.

Be very careful using the leveler cylinders. I have adopted a rule never to adjust them when the trailer cylinders are on the ground. At my storage site I discovered my dining slide would not pull in all the way and further discovered the opening was distorted toward the rear at the top. Thankfully, after hooking up the TV and retracting all cylinders the distortion was corrected and I was able to bring the slide all the way in.

For me, the levelers are the first to be deployed and the last to be raised. This is not official but something I have adopted to prevent a reoccurance.

Also, extending the high side leveler first and putting a slight load on it before leveling the trailer with the low side cylinder seems to have corrected the problem of the side to side level changing after removing the truck. I have only tried this at my storage site. I will be keeping an eye on this when we hit the road again. Thanks for the tip Ponch.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #66
sr

I used mine this weekend, but unfortunatly the site was pretty level. I beleive that the next time, I will raise the trailer using the center legs up about an inch or 2 to take the trailer off the wheels and axels , then raise the front and back to give it more stability.

I did find another use for the levelers. When dumping, I raised the door side up about 5 inches and that allowed for a better discharge of the holding tanks. It took less time to dump and and allowed for a better clean out.

Dale did say to put the slides in before raising the jacks as well as putting all 6 legs down before putting out the slides.

I hope the new program gets released quickly. The time out is an inconvenience.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #67
RodeWorthy

twisted slide and more uses for levellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr
Dale did say to put the slides in before raising the jacks as well as putting all 6 legs down before putting out the slides.
As far as I know, all Dale's info has been verbal to each customer and the written instructions I was provided seems to conflict with his advice. I didn't get to talk to Dale.

Be aware that all cylinders were down when my slides were extended. The alignment problem was noticed when I tried to bring the door side slide back in with all cylinders down. The only way to correct the twisting was to hook up and raise all the cylinders. Then the slide came in OK. There was a definite twist on the frame. It did not prevent the slide from extending but it would not fit in the frame when it came in.

These cylinders are powerful and have the potential to cause problems if not used properly. I hope my modified procedure keeps me out of trouble and the initial indication is it will. When you raise your trailer to aid the sewage discharge are you hooked up to tv with the other cylinders retracted?

Another thing I have mentioned to Dale is it would be good to provide a feathering or flow restriction of the leveler cylinders on retraction to reduce the shock on the trailer when the levellers are retracted. Better to ease that load to the ground.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #68
sr

I was at a Dump Station and hooked up to the TV. It worked really well. No different than driving on a couple of 2x8's.

I don't think it would be a good idea to raise the center legs with the front and rear's down. We should only adjust the center with the unit hooked up to the TV. As per Dales instructions. Level the Side to Side, Then lower front and remove from TV and then lower the front to level the trailer and then lower the rear to raise the unit, no more than an inch. The rears are really more of a support to keep the unit from rocking than to level. You will have to determine how low to take the front jacks, so that when you lower the rears, it doesn't throw you off level, Front to back. Then he said once the unit is level to put out the slides. Then reverse when leaving.

Good idea on the feathering. These jacks are pretty fast!!
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 07-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #69
RonS

Keep this good info coming. I still have some air in my system, as my door slide goes out about two inches when I raise the landing gear. Prior to the addaition of the levelers I would just hit the door slide switch again and go down the road. Our TK3 is now in the RV carport at our house, but next trip I will try the things as listed in above posts. This is what I now understand to be the procedure. If not correct please let me know. High side cylinder down first, then level using lowside. Drop landing gear, remove TV, level front to rear. Drop rear stabilizers lifting slightly. open slides starting w/bedroom or front to rear. When leaving reverse procedure.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #70
sr

Ron, when I received my 07 Select, the slides came out when I put down or up the legs. It finally worked it self out. Some of the owners said to close and open in this order: Door Side, Street side and then Bedroom. I have been opening and closing them this way and have not had any problems. I guess the air finally was purged out. Dale said the problem was that either DT or the dealer did not open and close them enough to purge the air.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 07-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #71
Ridge Runner

I am scheduled to get levelers put on our unit on August 5th. I have been reading your posts on a daily basis to see how the levelers have been working out for each of you. So far, it sounds like everyone is having a pretty good experience after working out a few procedural matters. Using boards to level the camper was never one of my favorite things to do. Really looking forward to getting the levelers installed.
Bob
Ridge Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #72
sr

Bob, I am leaving for Dale Hollow Lake in Kentuky/Tenn this thursday. I am sure the levelers will come in real handy at the campground. I will let all know when I return on Sunday.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 07-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #73
Ridge Runner

Dale Hollow looks like a nice resort area. We may want to check it out sometime. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the levelers.
Bob
Ridge Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #74
sr

The site I had was also Level. I did put one side down and raised the 5ver up about 3 inches and then lowered the opposite sde to level. This raised the trailer off the springs and wheels somwhat. Then unhooked and leveled front to back and that raise the trailer up from the tires. This really helped in the shaking of the Trailer. It was a very solid feel walking around. The trailer did shake a little, but nowhere like it did before I purchased the extra legs. I don't think you can ever get the shaking to totaly stop. Maybe with some slide supports. The minor shaking we did have was when I was sitting in the rocking chairs on the slideout. The extension of the slides with no support under them will cause some shaking.

All in all, I am very happy with the levelers and would highly recommend them.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #75
RonS

sr - I dont think its a good idea to have the majority of the trailer weight taken from the wheels and springs. Just too much weight in one spot on each side of the frame. Others have noted some frame twist when operating the slides. Maybe someone who has more knowledge on this hopfully will jump in. My concern is more for when setting up for 3-4 months as we do when we go to the Rio Grand Valley for the winter. Hopefully Dolly does not flood out or cause to much damage in our RV Park.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #76
sr

Ron, I was just doing what Dale recommended. In a previous post i sent, Dale had the entire trailer off the ground with all four wheels off the trailer, only supported by the hydraulic jacks. I did not experience any frame twisting with the set-up I described. Keep in mind the frame was completly level when all jacks were down. I agree that once you have leveled side to side and removed the trailer form the tow vehicle, you can not re-adjust the center jacks, or you would get frame twist. Mainly due to the center jacks being individual jacks. The front and rear act as one set.

Maybe Dale or someone from his organization can chime in and answer some of the concerns. I definatly donot want to do any damage to the frame.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #77
Motor31

Just a point here. In looking over the owners manual (available online from Lippert website) there is a part that states specifically not to suspend the coach on the jacks. I don't know what the leveling system you have had installed would do to change the procedure about that but it might be something to keep in mind or to check with the leveling folks.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #78
ponch

Lippert is part of the equation for the level up system.
Air Safe Hitch
pressure pro
Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #79
sr

Mike, I think the manual is correct without the center jacks. I would think there would be to far a span if it was only the Front and Rear jacks. The center ones creates a whole new environment.

When I had mine installed, the techs were going to use a jack to raise the trailer up to work on my axles. Dale aske the techs why they were using a jack when they just installed the levelers. The techs put the jack away, raised the trailer up with the rear 4 jacks, the front was on a fork-lift truck, much the same as being on the tow vehicle and then they pulled off all 4 tires. Also it is very important to have the center jacks in the right spot on the frame. 'Dale Fenton invented this with Lipperts blessing so I don't think there should be any problems.

It would be nice if there was a pamphlet out describing the proper procedures, can we lift the entire trailer if it is done right and can we change a tire using only the center jack.

I'll mention these issues at the central Rally. I beleive Dale will be there.

Ponch you and Dale converse frequently, do you have anything to add?
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #80
ponch

Yes you can change a tire/tires with the center jacks. As for written instructions I do not believe that there are any at this time.

Once the center jacks are installed then the frame problem goes away however that being said let "me" just say that there is medicinal cure for stupidity, you have to to use some common since when using the system.

In my opinion this is a very needed system in our industry, at an affordable price. There has been a lot of engineering that has gone into this and I'm sure that it's still going on.

Air Safe Hitch
pressure pro