Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
GlennWest

Fridge working too good

Always something with this fridge. It now, I believe, won't stop cooling. I've set all the way down, 1, and still freezes milk. Defrosted, no change. Adjusted slide (forget the proper name) up and down and no change.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
rotaxman

Fridge

Glenn,

I think the term you thinking about is thermister and it sounds like that could be the problem. It sounds as though it has failed.

If I remember correctly I think when it fails it runs the fridge on full cold. I could be mistaken and I'm sure that someone else will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
bstark

Jerry or Joyce as the case may be; you're dead right. Simply unplugging the thermistor at it's contacts of the circuit board will duplicate these symptoms as the board defaults to "constant-on".

Testing procedure: set the fridge to propane so you will feel heat or hear burner ignite and remove the thremistor from it's cooling fin attachment and dunk it into a glass of ice/water mix. Within seconds, the burner should shut down.

If you are handy with a volt/ohm meter I believe the ohms resistance should be in the neighbourhood of 8400 to 9300 ohms across those thermistor leads when unplugged form the board and warm. I'm quoting those resistance figures from memory and they may not be correct but a "search" should give you confirmation of values.

You can use your meter for testing thermistor in reverse; since your fridge is already freezing things, put a meter across the contacts for the heating element or the solenoid valve (first is 120v, second is 12v) and have someone open the fridge and put the thermistor between their fingers to warm it up and either the heating element should become live (if fridge is on 120) or the solenoid valve for burner propane should show voltage. If neither happens it's a safe bet your thermistor has given up the ghost. Of course, if your fridge is already constantly running you're not going to see these results.

Purchase another and plug it into the board in place of the old one and try the Ice water test to get the burner or element to shut down and you'll have your confirmation.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
GlennWest

Thanks. Will do
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
rotaxman

Refer

Hey Bruce,

Good point I think I'll just sign it from now on. Joyce doesn't read the forums she just lets me tell her all the good stuff.

As always good camping

JERRY
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750