Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
mcfarlak

Car Towing Hitch

How difficult is it to install a hitch to tow my VW beetle behind my 07 Elite Suite?

mcfarlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
GlennWest

Is it legal in the state you are licensed in? Reason I posted this, I have a hitch that's been added to my MS, very well I might add, and can't use it because NC doesn't allow double towing.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
Motor31

It takes a professional installation with plenty of bracing and cross bracing. Keep in mind that the frame on the trailer is not solid. It is a thin walled box tube. That means stress from towing forces must be spread out over enough area with good proper welds to insure that the frame is not compromised or the mount pulled away. You can't just "bolt on" a mount and then head out.

It can be done but I would make sure you use a service that is more than a little experienced at doing this type of work. I used a fabricator that builds entire utility trailers as well as modifying current trailers for my mount. After he did the job he told me he would never do another one for the same amount of money. Once he got into the job he found it took more welding and bracing than he originally thought it would for the estimate he gave me. He held to his original price. I'll be having him replace a bent axle later on.

We have been towing a second unit (toad Jeep Cherokee) for over 2 years now. There are some states that prevent double towing and others that have a strict length limit. I suggest you get a trucker atlas and look up which states are restrictive. They are in the minority in the West. I do avoid the peoples demokratic republik of kaliphornia anyhow so no issue for me there. Other Western states have been no problems. I am currently in Washington now.

If you do have a hitch mounted make sure there is enough clearance between the toad and trailer to avoid swapping paint in turns. Don't forget braking equipment for the toad as well. Make damn sure you have enough tow vehicle for the ENTIRE load you will be towing. If you are using a light duty pu forget about it. At the very least you will need a class 5 MDT tow vehicle (IE F 550), a class 6 would be better. (F 650 or baby semi style truck)
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
rverdlm

I agree with everything Mike said! From your sig at this time you do not have enough truck to even be considering this. Anyone who tells you this extra vehicle is not noticable behind the trailer is ether lieing or brain dead. While a car wants to go straight and therefore stabalize things (that's true most of the time) when you get to roads that are rutted from truck traffic I can feel the car trying to move around even with my truck that weighs over 21,000 lbs. With a pickup it will be very unstable and dangerous!
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
The View 5046

If your going to have a rear hitch installed, make sure the person who does the install knows what he's doing. You must have a professional who knows about metal. And make sure you have enough Truck to handle the additional weight. And you must make sure you set up what you intend to tow.

We do double tow and we have the proper equipment, and all our set up was done by a professional. We are in Cody Wyoming now, moving back towards Colorado tomorrow. We have seen more double towing this trip than last year. And some in my opinion didn't have enough Truck. GBY...

P.S. Remember you can have to much Trailer but you can't have to much Truck.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
GlennWest

How about my set up and a Honda Civic. Mines not a light weight unit even though it's smaller than what most of you pull.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Carny Bill

Here goes the big truck,lil truck war.

You must use your own judgement of how big a truck you feel safe driving. By the books you might be overweight, but personally (and I mean perosonally) books make good reading thats all. I have never seen a 5th wheel and normal trailer that any of my dually's would not handle safetly using good driving skills. I have been moving rigs like this for over 40 years.

You will get tons of conflicting advise on this one. Read them all and use your best judgement.
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
The View 5046

The OP is already over his gross carring weight, and he intends on hooking another ton or so behind the Suites. Right its a choice a person has to make. There are also some who have towed very heavy things and made the trip and there are others who didn't. Sure you can pull the Elite with a dually and most time you can stop. There are rules and there are those who don't follow the rules. Its just a choice. And really I don't think its a big truck little truck thing it just the truth. Good Luck with your choice. Be safe. GBY.....

Trailer Saver TS 3
Old 07-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
mcfarlak

Hitch

Thanks to everyone who has posted their thoughts. After reading your posts. We have determined that the Mrs. will follow along in the Suburban on our way to Naples this fall just as we have done for three years now. It would be too stressful to have a hitch safely installed and given the laws of some states prohibiting triple towing. It's just not worth the effort.Thank you all again.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
terry and jo

Ken,

There are a few different websites that give information on double/triple towing in various states. At the moment, I can find but one of those, which I will link to below.

I think this one speaks of "triple" towing meaning three units (tow vehicle/fifth wheel/towed vehicle) and there are a number of states in the East that do not even allow that configuration. One of which is Florida. In other states, you might get into trouble with the length of the combination of vehicles.

Also, some areas have numbers in the columns after their notation, and those numbers relate to footnotes. Those footnotes can be accessed at the bottom of the page.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Hope this helps you some.

Terry

Edit: I found another link to double towing. I have not compared the two for any discrepancies, so I suggest checking both.

The second link is here:

http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
mcfarlak

Thank you Terry and Jo
Old 07-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Motor31

Just an FYI. I have heard from a couple different folks on another forum that either or both Indiana and Illinois are now scaling RV's and citing for weight violations. It has nothing to do with commercial or non commercial vehicles they are checking both sides on that situation. I haven't been able to confirm it personally and don't plan on traveling in either state this year at all anyhow.

If anyone is from that area it would be nice to know what you have found.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
The View 5046

Scales...........

We were in both Ill. and Ind in April and seen no RV's on any scale or any signage telling the RVer's to cross a Commerical Scale, Motor 31 I'm not questioning you because the time I was there again was April. But it sure want surprise me. With so many States with out of control spending and the economy in the tank, it for sure will be a way to get your money. We also were double towing and had no issues there. Will hook up Monday and move North to Monarch Pass Colorado for a Month. But I encourage everyone to get their Rigs over a set of Cat Scales, you will be surprised at your weigh. Better than 50+ /percent of 5th wheels are over weight, either pin weight or gross towing weight. GBY......

Trailer Saver TS 3
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
Carny Bill

I run all parts of Illinois every week during the summer and double. Never heard of this scaling at all.
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
CherriandBob

We live in Indiana and aren't aware of this. That doesn't mean it isn't happening though. Sounds like something they would do in the northern part of the state more then down here in the southeast corner. Maybe they are pulling over the transport guys?

SOITC Charter Member #2730
Central Division
2006 38RL3
2004 Freightliner M2
robertsqualityrv.com
Enjoy life...Keep it simple
CherriandBob is offline   Reply With Quote