Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
over head lights

when we pulled in tonight I went to turn on the lights over the counter, track lights mounted to the ceiling, and nothing happened. No blown fuses
nothing. about 5-10 minutes later they just came on. Didn't realise that I had left the switch on. DW jumped straight up lol

Any suggestions on trouble shooting? How do you get the switch off the wall to check the connections?

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
sigo'suite

Ponch,
The switch just pops off with persuasion from a kitchen knife or such.

I have had ongoing problems with my track lighting. It has been replaced twice. I doubt the problem is in the switch.

Finally I called Nicor and was told they no longer make the unit that is in my unit; so she replaced it with a newer style which I have not taken the time to install yet.

As you say, it just kinda comes and goes at will. Usually I am able to take a broom stick or some such assist tool and put pressure on the plate at the connection end of the track and make it light. albeit for just a while untill it decides to go off again.

On the Nicor issue, she directed me to one of the electrical dealers in our area who sells their product and it was shipped to them; when it arrived I went and picked it up. They did not want the old lighting since they no longer make it.

PM me if you need further info.

Hope this helps.

sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Thanks Ron I'll try that.
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
Suitedreams

We had the same kind of problem with our light switch. The light switch is cheaply made. The plastic cover pops off, then you have two lugs that holds the switch on the wall. The light switch and electric box are made together. The 110 wire is looped through the switch. I went to Lowes and got a plastic electric box and toggle light switch. You will have to cut the wire to tie it to the switch. MAKE sure the power is off, sorry to sound blunt, don't know your level of knowledge. Good thing DT made the wall 3 1/4 in. deep. I think the switch being located close to the door opening and closing may have had something to do with ours going bad. When you get the box look for a 12 cu. in. single gang box or 2 1/2 in deep.
2007 Mobile Suite 36SB3 #3804
Suitedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
hitchup

Ours wasn't in the wall switch, but on the ceiling where the light strip connects into the wire plate/box.

Note: David tried to reexplain to me, but neither of us can come up with a clear written explanation.

When the lights were on for an extended time, it would heat up & pull away losing the connection. Lights on, then off! Rather annoying. It hasn't done in since last summer, so he must have done something right.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
jack_diane_freedom

Ours did the same thing and it was a loose connection in the base of the fixture. Just take out the two screws on the end of the fixture and it will expose the wiring. I had to put a new connection on it and now no problem. You will run into these types of problems as we a pulling a house down the highway with all the rocking and rolling and bouncing I am surprised these things hold together as well as they do.
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
traveler

I, too, have had this problem. In my case, it was in the base of the fixture. The contacts were burnt and corroded. I sanded the contacts and everything was fine--but DT sent me a new fixture which I installed. I also could push on the base with a broomstick and make them work and they would also go off and on by themselves as long as the switch was on.

Everyone probably knows this, but the 50 watt halogens are too much bulb for the fixture--well, three of them are anyway. Too much current is drawn, causing the overheating and burning.

I replaced the 50 watt bulbs with 30 watt ones and everything is ok.

traveler is offline   Reply With Quote