Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
BillA

Vertical Clearance

We recently purchased a DRV ES 36TK3 and have been working our way through all the great information on this site. This is our first RV so we are learning a lot as we go.

My question relates to vertical clearance. After hooking the 5er to the truck and before leaving the dealers yard I took measurements from the high point on the unit which happens to be the satellite antenna dome. I found the vertical height to be 13'-3". How does this compare to your height? This is approximately 2-3" higher than the front A/C unit. I was surprised that this unit is that tall. It made me wonder if the DRVs are taller than the "typical" 5er?

Since getting the unit home via I-10 (carefully monitoring overpass heights along the way) I have discovered that there is an overpass here in Houston on I-45 that is placarded at 13', 3" less than my rig height. I would never have dreamed that you would have a problem with an RV on an Interstate highway. I know that the Motor Carriers Atlas is available with low clearance listings for major highways but what do you do if you want to get off beaten path onto lesser highways? How do you determine if you will have a problem other than when it pops up in front of you? Are there other quality 5ers that have less vertical height or are all of them about the same?

This has also raised a question about location of the second A/C unit at the high point of the trailer. Given that the A/C is centrally ducted why does the second A/C unit have to be located at the front of the rig as opposed a lower location mid rig? And the same goes for the satellite dome?

Just trying to get comfortable about towing this unit.

BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
billr

Thats about what our MS is 13'2" to the top of the AC. If your trailer is riding nose up any it will add to it. The pinbox and hitch can be adj to even it out.

If you really get stuck, and have the trailair pinbox, let the air out and gain 4-5" of clearance.

Our truck is 13'6" so we just make sure the antennas clear!

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
MBarz

Hello, we have the same problem when we went out east to New York. Did not do enough research before driving there. Our first trip to New York and it was stressful. They have alot of overpasses that are low on main highways and some of them are marked wrong since they updated them at one time. I was pulled over on the side of the road trying to figure out how to go around a overpass that said it was 12' 8". While looking at the map on the side of the road a semi-truck passed by and went right under without a problem. Come to find out the overpass was marked 1 foot lower than it actually was. Since my suite is 13' I thought I would try it. Went 25mph and held my breath. That was on us63 and and was told that it was a main truck route. So be careful were you go and do research when traveling.
MBarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

clearances

While it may not help much on the stress problem, the height posted --if
correct--is the minimum clearance. If the overpass is crowned, then it will be higher on the left lane/side/shoulder than on the right.
Not going to help much when you are sitting there and trying to figure it all out, but......
Certainly, if on a small country road, the clearance may be a BIG problem.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
rverdlm

To answer some of your questions; All trailers are a compromise! You can buy trailers with less height, but then you compromise the ceiling height in the bedroom. An effort to move the 2nd air to the back was made in I think '06 and it didn't work out. There was not enough cooling for the bedroom. You just need to be conscious of clearances while driving, but don't stress about it. In 14 years of full time traveling I've only needed to reroute a few times and I'm 13'6". I do not stay on interstates, but I do try to go with truck routes. If I see a sign that says route straight ahead, but trucks turn I usually turn and go with the truck route. You'll find that most roads clear trucks because that is the heart of our commercial system.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
Given that the A/C is centrally ducted why does the second A/C unit have to be located at the front of the rig as opposed a lower location mid rig? And the same goes for the satellite dome?
My DRV has the satelite dome on the rear behind the rear A/C.
The wire just runs up across the roof to the place where DRV has the prep. for it at the vent pipe.
It looks like a fairly clean job.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Motor31

My trailer is 12'6" tall but the truck is 13' tall. I have not had to go around any overpass on I-10 in the Houston area and we go through Houston once a year at least. I try to follow standard height semi truck and trailers when possible as they are usually about 13' to 14' tall. If they make it I should as well.

FWIW, stop at a truck stop and purchase a truckers map book. In the front section will be a listing by states of the low clearance spots. Each spot is listed by road and mile marker or location so you can plan your way around it.

The maps also list the truck routes on main, secondary and some tertiary roads. If trucks are restricted from a road it's best to avoid it as it may be because of weight or height restrictions. Things like tunnels as well. In NY we stayed off of non truck routes and had no problems.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
billr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarz
Hello, we have the same problem when we went out east to New York. Did not do enough research before driving there. Our first trip to New York and it was stressful. They have alot of overpasses that are low on main highways and some of them are marked wrong since they updated them at one time. I was pulled over on the side of the road trying to figure out how to go around a overpass that said it was 12' 8". While looking at the map on the side of the road a semi-truck passed by and went right under without a problem. Come to find out the overpass was marked 1 foot lower than it actually was. Since my suite is 13' I thought I would try it. Went 25mph and held my breath. That was on us63 and and was told that it was a main truck route. So be careful were you go and do research when traveling.
We did the exact same thing at that location on RT 63! Waited for a full height truck to cruise on by and away we went! From what I understand, they mark the height from where it is the lowest even if it can't be driven under. But doesn't that make you pucker as you approach!

Another rt to stay away from in NY is RT 20, not a fun road.

In PA I-70 from Pittsburgh to Haggarsville MD has lots of low bridges on lane or the other, have to pick the 13'6' lane in advance. Signs are there but got to watch it close so you don't get hung out in the wrong lane.

Its always an adventure.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
bstark

Some observations to echo those of Mikes and Bill's; The "Trucker's Atlas" has become our bible when travelling but those height references are sometimes bogus as various states require the absolute lowest part of a span must be the posted height so you sometimes end up with a published height clearance of 11'9" for eg. when in fact, the roadway portion is over 13'. the lowest part could be over a sidewalk portion or an angular brace at it's lowest point on the side uprights. Some times also the tunnel is a curved roof and simply taking the center lane or waiting till traffic clears and moving into the center is all that's required.

That C/B radio that everyone hates to listen to can be turned on and utilized to get the info on route ahead from truckers who are only too obliging to help out if asked.

I have often used the method of following another truck I know is taller than I and although it increases the pucker factor when they turn off ahead of the low point of the route simply waiting for another tall fellow to come from the other direction is usually all the delay involved.

I have had only one situation where I removed the air from my trailair pinbox and dumped the suspension on the truck to get the front A/C under a low branch near the site I was heading for in all our travels.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
BillA

Good to know that the truck routes are marked in the truckers atlas. I will pick one up soon. Thanks for the suggestion to let an 18 wheeler lead the way. Is anyone using a GPS for truck routing? If so what has been your experience and would you recommend it?

I looked today at the clearance between my truck bedrails/tailgate and the fiver. I have 6" clearance. I can adjust my 5th wheel hitch down an inch or so to gain a little vertical clearance, but suspect I should stay with the current bed rail/fiver clearance. What clearance is recommended?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #11
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Bill I believe that 6-7 inches is what is recommended.

The problem occurs when you get the trailer and truck in a situation where the bed of the truck becomes higher than the front end. Those 6-7 inches disappear very quickly.

I'd leave the truck set where it is. jmho
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
Gemstone

When I used our Dodge 4x4 as a tow vehicle, I managed with 5" of bed clearance, however, more is certainly better. I was always wary of the angle on any driveway we had to enter/exit.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
What clearance is recommended?
I have hit the top of the rear bed rail two different times backing into campsites that were down hill from the roadway.
I had about 6" clearance.
It is the very sharp crown in the road that will make the bed rails on a pickup touch the underside of your fifth wheel overhang.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
Carny Bill

height

In 2006 I purchased a new elite, left for Texas from Illinois, late in the night I stopped at a gas station to fuel up and to my suprise the awning of the station was too low. I wiped the satillite off the roof.

You must be aware of you height at all times, if you want to keep what on your roof.

12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote