Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
syringa

Send a message via MSN to syringa
Hyd Landing Gear Hiccup!!!

2008 32tk3 M/S/ When i went to move our fifth wheel the front landing gear wouldn't come up. After some up and down switching the legs came up but one wouldn't stay up,,then finally both stayed up. When we got to our spot here in CA putting out the door side slide caused the right rear stabilizer to go down. We are here for a month and need some advice to fix this before we move again..Seems like the control is mixed up.. Plenty of fluid ,pump doesn't sound any different than before.Checked electrical connections they all seem tight. Anyone have any ideas?? thks

syringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Motor31

Go to the hydraulic manifold and check the knurled knobs. Make sure they are all screwed as far as they can go to the left. If they are then you might want to just screw them in and then out to see if that frees up the valve inside of them. Don't forget the one for the back legs. On ours that is all the way back at the rear street side leg.

You might also tap the manifold gently with a non marring hammer while operating the legs and slides.

Have you been having any leakage from either fittings or at the manifold?

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
jack_diane_freedom

We had similar problem that required the replacement of the front hydraulic jack ram. Be careful when towing that the front jacks do not drop and strike something. Also watch that the bedroom slide does not come out when you are towing. It is all connected through the hydraulic system.
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
morscuba

Mine was also a bad ram. Similar symptoms that just got worse until the jacks failed altogether. Call Lippert customer service and they shoud walk you through some test to see if its the ram or a bad valve..Lippert covered the replacement of the ram. Good guys!!!.Good luck be careful I watched the front of the MS go as low as it could go. Not a lot of fun to get jacked up.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
morscuba

Mine was also a bad ram. Similar symptoms that just got worse until the jacks failed altogether. Call Lippert customer service and they shoud walk you through some test to see if its the ram or a bad valve..Lippert covered the replacement of the ram. Good guys!!!.Good luck be careful I watched the front of the MS go as low as it could go. Not a lot of fun to get jacked up.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
rdunk

I have previously had extend/retract problems with my front jacks, but for me, it has never been due to a bad ram - ie. up-graded pump needed, air in lines, low fluid in tank.

I've had a small leak in a rear jack for several months, while stationary. Last week, I had a mobile service tech check for the cause of the leak, and found the problem to be due to one fitting being cracked, and another fitting was scoured, (best report for a potential bad problem). He replaced the fittings, thanks to Lippert for a supply of fittings I had left over from a prior problem.

Because some hyd fluid had leaked out, I did add what I thought was enough. I cycled the rear jacks several times, and they worked fine. However, I could not get the front jacks to lift for hitch-up. I added more fluid, and fairly quickly, they began to lift normally.

I did have a bad rear jack once that had to be replaced, but is was clearly leaking.

You don't mention seeing a leak, so your hyd tank may have "plenty" as you say, but based on my experience with my hyd tank, one can fill it to 80% or more without a problem. Might be worth a try to add a little just to see if that might be it. (Mine requires DexronIII - 2005).

Good luck.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote