Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
mcfarlak

Day Night Shades

I have a day/Night Shade in the bedroom that has a broken cord. Any ideas on how to remove the shade and repair or would it be easier to just buy a new one?
Thanks

Ken
Wintering in Ft. Myers Fla.

mcfarlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
sigo'suite

Here is the link to a thread in Sept. on this subject, which should give you some very helpful input.

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...t=night+shades

This forum also has a search feature which can be very beneficial.

sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
jack_diane_freedom

They are quite easy to remove and get repaired. Just take off the valance by taking off the two screws on the bracket on each end. The blind just sits in a pressure fit mount. I just placed a screwdrive between the wood trim and the blind and it 'popped' out with ease. I then refolded it and put a couple of elastic band on it and took it to Camping World in Tampa as we are staying in Dunedin Florida. Will pick it up next week restrung for $83 all in. I do not think you could purchase a new one for that amount. This blind was the window in front of the dining table on the curb side.

Jack
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
bstark

The bedroom ones are among the easiest to repair yourself as the 2 by the bed are just little guys and can be laid out on the bed while repairing and the one over the vanity is a short one which also makes it a lot easier than the multiple string-run types of rear window and dining slideout size. The aforementioned thread went into it in good detail with an excellant diagram of the string-runs provided by one member.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
rverdlm

I just restrung one of my 2 string blinds and it was very easy. It took maybe a half hour total. Finding the correct string was the biggest problem. I used some string that I found at WalMart. It's OK, but not exactly right. I've since ordered some string from Fix My Blinds. I also bought a big needle that made running the string through the holes a snap. I just folded them, clamped them with a small "C" clamp and ran the string through all at on time.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
nelsonraymond

Send a message via AIM to nelsonraymond
daynite shades

Hi
I just recently redid one of my meduim size windows. i called the shade people and they sent me enough string for a large window and small with directions. I used Hobo's direction off this site as that seemed easier to follow. It was very easy and cost me nothing but time.

Janice
nelsonraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
jdh

Day Night Shades

You can buy the replacement cording at JoAnn's Fabric. Look for "Warm Window Insulated Shade System" 1mm cord. 20 yards to a package. I just bought some in Florida and paid $4.99 a package. I have used this cording on three rigs and it works great.

Chris
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
sr

I had 2 blinds break as well. Called Doubletree and Kent gave me the name of the Blind company to call since they were under warrenty. I called and they sent me 2 seperate packages of string and the instructions for a $5.00 delivery charge. Was very easy to replace. About 15 minutes. The first one took a little longer. I don't have the number for the blind company, but if you call DT, I am sure Kent will give you the number.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
southwoods46

Day/Night Shades

I was in Goshen last week and had two blinds restrung by
Specialty Window Coverings, the maker of the blinds for Drv. Our blinds have a lifetime warranty and SWC will restrung for free. They will also supply the cord and instructions for the shipping cost. Their number is: 574-262-5190

I have advised them of the upcoming rally and that there may be a steady business of restringing. Their address(for restringing) is: 1614 N Eisenhower Dr in Goshen, just around the corner from TrailAir. If you take them early in the day, Mon-Thurs, they may have them ready the same day or at least by the next.

If your night shades are a colour other than the light, ask for cord to match, ie brown or blue. :D
Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
hitchup

Our unit is only six months old and one string broke last Friday. Three more shades have the sheath bunching up on at least one side. We were hoping SWC was using better strings by now, but apparently not.

We had two restrung on our 2006 Elite after the first year. It cost us UPS Shipping charges since we went through our dealer in NC. But it isn't worth the hassle, since they all need to be restrung with a different type of cord. We eventually ordered all new ones minus the bedroom last Spring.

So we gave up and ordered residential Cellular up/down shades on Saturday from same place by internet. They were shipped on Weds and should be here soon. Will be nice to have them again. Also are Made in the USA (AZ).

http://www.selectblinds.com/cellular....aspx?SortBy=1
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
keithandpenne

Hitchup,

It isn't the quality of the cord, just the excess tension when installed.

When I called SWC, the first thing the customer service rep asked was if I had a Double Tree unit. She said that they (DRV) pull the strings entirely to tight. She advised to pull both sides strings evenly and only enough to hold them in place so that they do not drop on their own. Any tighter and they will wear the string and guides.

We had one of the big windows that took both hands to lift or pull down, it was the first to break and now, after almost 4 years still works smooth and easy with one finger.

We only have one window that has the original strings.
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
bettyj

Blinds

There will be a class at the rally on restringing blinds.
SOITC Charter Members #2686
Mobile Suites 36 Ft TK3
Ford 350 Lariat Superduty CC Dually Diesel 6.0L
Alabama Dutch Oven Society
https://www.alabamadog.com
bettyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
suitediver

Blinds

We replaced the day/night shades in living area with 1 1/2 wood blinds. No more hassle with lifting those shades. Looks fantastic.
Bobbie Starr

suitediver is offline   Reply With Quote