Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
traveler

Drips

I have developed a small drip in my sewer system and need some advice.
There is a box--about 1 foot by 1 and 1&1/2 feet in the drain line of my 2005 TK3. Exiting this box is the drain line that carries fluids to the sewer connection just in front of the left wheels. You cannot see what goes into the box from the black or gray water tanks.

I think that this box is some kind of "drip" reservoir for minor leakage you might get from opening and closing the valves.

There is a small hole in the bottom of the box and it is from this hole that the water drips. Not much water--maybe a cup a day--if that.

As I recall, I may have seen this leak in the past..it may be intermittent. Is this possibly just an occasional thing that happens when the valves do not open or close exactily right. Any ideas?

traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
RGordon

I have the same issues with the black cover, but mine was more severe than a drip. It contains the grey water drain valve and the junction where both black and grey water come from within the basement compartment. My grey water plastic water PVC elbow broke from the excessive movement of the long drain line just below the valve. I couldn't or did not replace the broken fitting, but just purchased a rubber flex 90 degree fitting with stainless bands on each end and just covered both the fittings. The long run of the 3 inch drain pipe is not supported sufficiently and allows the pipe to move creating too much movement within the black box causing leaks or pvc pipe breakage.

2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
traveler

Gordon, can the black box be removed or do you just slide it backwards down the drain pipe. And how did you get the rubber flex elbow over the pvc elbow? Did you have to slide it all the way from the sewer outlet (the place you connect the sewer hose to the dump)?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
billr

Check inside basement sliding door behind water service area to see if there are any lines, valves or connections leaking fresh water. I had a hose leaking in there that dripped out under in the same area.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler
Gordon, can the black box be removed or do you just slide it backwards down the drain pipe. And how did you get the rubber flex elbow over the pvc elbow? Did you have to slide it all the way from the sewer outlet (the place you connect the sewer hose to the dump)?
Yes the cover will move back. The cover is screwed in place and caulked with a sealer that really sticks well, so you will have to use either a knife or blade of some type to cut it loose. Once it is moved back, you will be able to see the valves and cables. You have to also loosen the main support to the dump line to allow the pipes to kind of drop down a bit for clearance.I had the gray tank clamp loosen and let a small drip happen. I removed the clamp and installed new /better ones and installed 2 of them. I also checked everything else I could see from there to be sure nothing else was loose. I then reinstalled the cover and reused the same caulking as it was still sticky and reusable. Fairly easy job and something you can do in less than a 1/2 hour.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
traveler

Thanks to all.