Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
Jack in Alaska

Never-Lube wheel bearing service

My MS has approx. 30k miles on it and is equipped with Dexter Never-Lube bearings. They have not been touched yet.

Does anyone have info on lubrication frequency. Do they have to be completely taken apart?? What is the correct thing to do??

I monitor them with an infrared thermometer and have no issues with them yet.

My tires are original also and getting towards "that time in their life". I am not looking forward to that dip out of my pension check.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
RonS

Jack - Salesperson told me they (Never Lube) do not need to be repacked etc. Maybe should call Dexter to find out for sure?? If I had a infrared thermometer and checks said no problem, I would just keep on trucking. If you find out something different please let us know.

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

Nev-R-Lube bearings

Seems like I remember that there is nothing that can be serviced on these bearings--also, think they have a 5-yr warranty. I also remember somewhere I read they should be checked annually for smoothness and seal leaks indicated by grease on inside of wheel. But, maintainance = replacement.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Hobo

I was told at purchase time that the bearings were good for 100K. They are also sealed bearings pressed into the drum and can be checked for leakage when doing the annual brake shoe check.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
2 DA WDS

Relatives had 1 bearing catch fire after 5 years and 1 catch fire after 6 on their Hitchhiker.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Motor31

There is something you can do to help keep bearing failure from stopping you. We stop about 20 miles into the trip so I can recheck the tire temperature and also check the hubs for heat. I do this at every stop we make as we like to stretch our legs about every two hours or so. I just put the back of my finger against a lug nut and or the edge of the wheel where it touches the hub. If it is hot, there is a problem, either the brake is dragging or the bearing is getting hot. In either case it is something to check out.

If the bearing fails and really heats up the spindle you will have to replace both.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
rverdlm

Mike; I do the same thing. One other thing, with aluminum wheels any heat from a bearing or stuck brake will go to the tire and with the Pressure Pros that will then show a higher pressure on one tire. Barb checks the tire pressure at least every half hour.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
bstark

It's strange to note that while many of us do the walk around with the infra-red gun and others are using sensitive body parts to check for heat related issues with the wheels of our rigs, I have yet to witness a "professional trucker" do anything other than check his load straps if hauling a flat bed or tarped load. I have yet to see a trucker do the formal "Circle-check" procedure mandated at every "start-of-day" cycle inspection on their equipment. When overnighting in truck stops, I very often see them wake up, hit the bathrooms, and roll on out of there with no idea if their trailer is still hooked to the truck or if all wheels are still on the thing.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Nev-R-Lube bearings

I haven't seen a mileage figure anywhere in the Dexter brochures, but seem to remember a 5-year warranty.

The hub temps are probably the best way to know something is beginning to go wrong--either by touch or with a IFR gun. For my part, I try to remember to walk around the trailer when first stopped to check rubber/wheel temps by back of hand. Not a great way, but if I can keep the back of my hand in contact with the surface, it can't be too hot to my way of thinking.

As for the pro truckers, I have seen a lot of them checking tires/brakes/hubs, but probably not enough of them do this, judging by the number of hot-brake fires you can see evidence of by the side of the road.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
bstark

Wingnut60: Way back (05) when there were some compatibility issues between the pumps for the hydraulic brakes and the Prodigy controllers, i called Dexter and enquired about my specific unit and also asked about the Nev-R-Lube requirements for maintenance. I talked with a very nice lady engineer who informed me my Prodigy would work fine and the Nev-R-Lube means just that. So far, she was right on the money.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
rverdlm

Bruce, I was told the same thing when I ordered the never lubes. That however does not mean they can't fail. It just means that if they do it's not from lack of maintenance. Before never lube I was religious about repacking my bearings once a year or anytime after sitting still for more than a couple of months. I still had a bearing fail which cost me an axle. I also lost the wheel. Don't know where it went when it came off along with the brake drum. The point is, these are mechanical systems and s*** happens.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
wingnut60
Site Team

nevrlube bearings

Dave,
You are correct--Nev-R-Lube doesn't necessarily mean Nev-R-Fail. Have
read about several instances where the bearings lost lube and failed. That is why I try to look at the back side of my wheels every so often, and once a year, hopefully, I will have the wheels off and spin the drums to check for play and noise.
Joe
Old 10-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #13
Motor31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstark
It's strange to note that while many of us do the walk around with the infra-red gun and others are using sensitive body parts to check for heat related issues with the wheels of our rigs, I have yet to witness a "professional trucker" do anything other than check his load straps if hauling a flat bed or tarped load. I have yet to see a trucker do the formal "Circle-check" procedure mandated at every "start-of-day" cycle inspection on their equipment. When overnighting in truck stops, I very often see them wake up, hit the bathrooms, and roll on out of there with no idea if their trailer is still hooked to the truck or if all wheels are still on the thing.
There are lots of truckers who are conscientious and look over their equipment. There are others who figure anything outside of the cab or load security is not their business. As a commercial vehicle inspector I lost count of the times that I head a trucker say he wasn't "no damn mechanic" and it's the mechanic's job to do all that. The law says differently and it bit quite a few of them, some after they wrecked.

The trailer is yours and you will pay all the bills associated with it. Now how much is it worth to you? Is it worth checking the equipment and tires before you leave or is waiting for a tow truck on the side of the road a better option?
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
bstark

Right on. These things represent a substantial portion of our retirement nest egg so they certainly deserve to be cared for diligently. I invested in a good infra red gun way back with the first RV and use the thing at every stop, have caught problems a few times before they became serious.

These Nev-R-Lube hubs represent quite a design departure form the norm of smaller cone bearings at each end of the spindle. They are very large and opposed with preloading torque on the center line of the wheel. I lift each wheel slightly off the ground and do the Dexter recommended top to bottom play test every so often as well. Short of dismantling the things, that's all the manual calls for on a periodic basis. If I get an indication one of them is questionable, I'll probably do all four at once as it will have some good mileage under it's belt by then.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Whirlwind

Temperature Reading

You guys that take temperature readings of the wheels/bearings, what is a normal temperature. What is too high in other words?? Is there a range that you try to keep with in?? Any feedback would be appreciated.
2 Honda 4x4 ATV's
Whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
RodeWorthy

Comparative wheel temps

It would be very subjective to define a temperature range that is acceptable. It is very unlikely all bearings would be failing at the same time so you would see a higher temperature on the failing wheel than the others. I think that is your best indication - a comparison of all the wheels. If one is markedly higher than the others you have a problem.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #17
anijet

It really depends on how much you just used the brakes and how long it has been since you stopped. I usually see from 100* to 145*. My '07 has Kodiak hubs and brakes with 100K/5 year sealed bearings and I lost a bearing and axle last month. I called Kodiak and they are sending three new sealed bearing cartridges nocharge.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
Jack in Alaska

Neverlubes

I just drove down from Alaska to my stored MS in Washington.
Tomorrow it goes into a RV repair shop and gets the Neverlubes checked, new brake shoes and 2 new tires to replace some 1703 date code. I have the maint. procedure printed out for the repair shop if he does not have one.
Hopefully this wll prevent anything ugly on the road.
I have an IR gun and use it every stop on the tires and bearings. I also use it on the truck tires especially the duals.
Mon. we head for Arizona.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #19
Jack in Alaska

Yeeehaaa........my service work is done.

Bearings well within tolerance and looked good. The dealer called Dexter Axle and they talked at length about them. Brakes still looked like new but then the brakes are real "hurky" on these MS..

A half dozen new grease zerks, a grease job, 2 new tires and we are on the road again.

I feel very lucky. I drove about 100 miles then checked bearing temps with the IR gun.........55F to 58F on all four. Tire temps 68F.

No guarantees but I certainly feel better about the suspension on my rig.