Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
RonS

Backup Camera

For those of you that have added a backup camera to your DRV, how do you like it, and would you do it again. What brand etc

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
macie

Before you spend a lot of money. Check out the one Sams Club has now. It’s wireless for $100. A friend installed one in his motor home< loves it. If the wireless range isn’t strong enough for a 5th wheel. Sam will take it back. WalMart you know.

11 MS 36 RSSB #5770
Level Up, Trail Air Tri-Glider, Straight Line Towing
2013 3500 RAM DRW 2 wheel Drive Lets Roll
macie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
JPHarris

I have this one and love it. It shows a great picture.

http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=14
Cape May, NJ & Fort Myers, Fl. and anywhere else we decide to roam.
JPHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
RonS

Purchased the $100 Sam's Club today, will let everyone know how it works when I have time to get it installed. If I dont get it installed in the next couple of days most likely not happen until end of May when we get back to Wisconsin.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
RonS

Lets get busy and get that installed so We know if it works or not!!! :D :D
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
sr

I purchased the sams club unit also. I have done some prelim installation and would like some input on how others are going to install. The cable that comes with the camera unit is about 15 feet long. The power cable is about 10 feet long. The wireless sending unit needs to be installed inside a compartment or "Ttrunk of Car" I assume out of the weather. My first inclination would be to run the camera cable inside to the entertainment center using the wire chase that is already on the street side slide and install the sending unit in the entertainment system. Grabbing the 12 volt power off of the Winegard antennae connection. This would put the sending unit approximatly 35 feet from the receiver. (Not sure how far the sending unit can be from the receiver and keeping in mind the frame of the Suite.)

I'll try to hook it up temporarily and see if it works and will keep all informed.

If anyone has something to add, please respond. For the price and if it works, its a good solution.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
sr

Okay, I temporarily installed the unit based on the previous post. Attached are a few Pictures showing the placement of the various devices. I hooked the TV up moved the screen around to see how the reception was. It was pretty stable on the dash or on the floor, where I will probably mount my unit. The picture was pretty good sitting still. Not sure how it will be rolling. I plan on using mine while driving so I can see what is behind me coming up or if there is a car tailgating me. I plan on installing permanetly and will just have to see how it is rolling 65 mph down the highway. If it has to much interference, Which I beleive will happen, then I do beleive it will work for what it was intended for "An Inexpensive Backup Camera". Also the 7" monitor has an AV hookup with sound so you could use it for other devices as well. ie: DVD player etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp_transmitter_placement-1_143.jpg (140.5 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg temp_camera_placement-1_200.jpg (173.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg floor_mounted_-1_142.jpg (145.8 KB, 170 views)
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
RonS

sr Thanks for the great post and pictures, please keep us up to date on your install. Looks the same as the one I purchased. I now have a call into the company asking if I can run two cameras off the moniter with the abillity to toggle to the camera I want. Then I would have one on my pickup looking at the 5er tires and the other on the back of the 5er.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
sr

Ron, I have a wireless Security camera at home which is about 80 feet from the Suite. When I was installing the system on the Suite, I received interference from that camera. Got a pretty good picture. I had to disconnect that camera, while I was installing the Backup camera.

The idea regarding the tires is really a good one.
The only problem i see is the receiver will receive all signals at once. There is no input. You would have to turn off one camera to see whats on the other camera. So if you want to back up then turn off the tire camera and turn on the backup camera. That would mean you would have to get out of the vehicle and turn off/on the respective cameras.

You know it always seems like when you get one thing we always want more. I guess we will have to buy a more expensive unit to achieve multiple views without a lot of hassle.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 04-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
RonS

sr Yes you are correct, can only view one camera at a time. So here is my plan, purchase another same brand only cheaper kit about $65. Then use that camera and transmitter. Will have the truck power source from the cargo bed light, and the Suite power source off the license plate light. I will place the suite transmitter in one of the back bays. This way I will have a handy switch for each camera that I can switch back and forth for viewing, while traveling. I will have to drive with my parking lights on when using the suites camera but I dont care. Again this is just my preliminary plan, have not done anything yet. If anyone has more ideas please post them.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
sr

Ron, sounds like you have a plan. Pretty inexpensive way to have the views you want. I called Tech Support for the camera and the engineer said there would be no problem with having the transmitter on continuously. He did say that other wireless cameras in the area would "bleed" over onto the screen and that while going down the road, you would more than likely get some interference, but did say you will definatly be able to view what is behind you. I won't be able ti install permanetly until next week. I'll let you know how it come out and you also let me know how yours comes out as well.

Make sure you check the reception where ever you put the transmitter. I think the closer to the receiver the better. That why I intend to install mine inside as far as the cord will allow. Also if you mount the transmitter in an enclosed area or behind the end panel, that is just that much more "stuff" the signal has to penetrate.

Good Luck!!!
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 04-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #12
RonS

Randy - It dont work in the rear bay, tomorrrow will move the cord from the camera along under the under belly as far as it will go getting the tramsmitter as close as I can to the receiver. Does yours work as shown in your picture? How did you fish/run the cable from the camera to inside, for the transmitter??
Old 04-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
sr

I was afraid that it would be to far and to many walls/Aluminum for the signal to penetrate. On the Streetside slide, there is a wiring harnes that goes from the frame up to your entertainment center/Kitchen appliance. I'm not sure what model you have, but on the Select TK3, the harness is at the back of the slide, so it will pretty easy to fish up into the entertainment center. Yes it worked pretty good where I placed the transmitter temp. The picture that shows on the receiver in the T0w Vehicle is the actual picture that is being transmitted from the camera that is temporarily on the back of the couch. There should be no difference when I thread the cable through the slide and mount the transmitter on the wall with velcro. I also plan on installing a switch to switch off the power to the transmitter since I will be splicing into the 12volt power from the antenae booster.

I would think if there was a way to keep the Transmitter from the elements, it would be even better placed on the outside of the RV's.

Let me know what you finally do.

I should have mine installed sometine next week.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
RonS

I have a picture, but poor quality. Just to much insulation under the belly covering where I have the transmitter and still to far away from the receiver. Any ideas on what I can attach to the transmitter to give me a little more punch/range??