Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
oldbird

hook up

Hello, In the bedroom entertainment area there are four connection points for Ethernet cables. Bedroom, living room, basement and hook up. Does anybody know what or where this 'hook up' one goes and what its for?

oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
golf_bears

I have the same setup. Never concerned myself with the 4th hook up. But, you bring up a good question. I'll venture a guess without tracing the wiring or fooling around with the controls. Is it possible that it is for the receiver audio system only. If one wants to listen to the radio only without having the TVs on?

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
oldbird

That would be a good guess!
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
Discusdano

I would think the one marked "Hook Up" is the incoming line from your source connection provided by the park (look in the multi function hook up center). Your modem/router should be installed in the bedroom entertainment area, with the "hook up" connected to internet in port, and the out going lines to the other three. That is my guess based on the labels.

2011 DRV Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3
2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Dually
Discusdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
oldbird

Thanks Dan. I've installed my own internet satellite and put the modem/router in the bedroom entertainment area. Testing things I've run a Ethernet cable from the router to the connection labed bedroom and it works. Then to the basement one and it works. I then tested the living room one and it doesn't work. Maybe I'll try to run a Ethernet cable from the router to the 'hook up' and another cable to the living room to see if that works. The living room Ethernet port is the only one I care about. Your probably wondering why?, just use wireless. My wife gets headaches from wireless and I have the wireless feature turned off in the router. We TRY to avoid it but its becoming almost impossible to stay away from. Cell phones too, I turn it on in another room and she will ask me to turn it off!! If I can't get the living room port to work I'll run a separate line to the living room. I have to run a line from the invertor to run the freezer I'm putting in anyway, I'll run them together.
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Discusdano

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird View Post
Thanks Dan. I've installed my own internet satellite and put the modem/router in the bedroom entertainment area. Testing things I've run a Ethernet cable from the router to the connection labed bedroom and it works. Then to the basement one and it works. I then tested the living room one and it doesn't work. Maybe I'll try to run a Ethernet cable from the router to the 'hook up' and another cable to the living room to see if that works. The living room Ethernet port is the only one I care about. Your probably wondering why?, just use wireless. My wife gets headaches from wireless and I have the wireless feature turned off in the router. We TRY to avoid it but its becoming almost impossible to stay away from. Cell phones too, I turn it on in another room and she will ask me to turn it off!! If I can't get the bedroom port to work I'll run a separate line to the living room. I have to run a line from the invertor to run the freezer I'm putting in anyway, I'll run them together.
That sounds good. The only other thing I can think of is that they mis labeled the ports and "hook up" is really "living room", so your plan should fix that, or they may have not completed the conection behind either wall plate (assuming there are wall plates in both the bedroom and living room). If so, remove the plate and see if the connections are all connected if direct wired or plugged in if plugged connections are used on the back side. I think you get much better service if you connect direct. Best of luck and happy new year.

2011 DRV Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3
2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Dually
Discusdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
oldbird

Thanks Dan, I said that wrong and edited it. "If I can't get the living room port to work" and I corrected it. Today I'll check connections behind both wall plates and try the other thing I talked about. I'll report back. To you Dan and everybody, "Happy new year!"
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
oldbird

Well I tried connecting the 'hook up' at the same time trying the living room Ethernet port, same thing, didn't work. I mentioned above running a line from the basement Ethernet port to the living room, I won't be doing that. I did a speed test off the basement and it was really slow. Did a speed test in the bedroom with good results. Repeated that and the same results. So, I have one good port (bedroom) and two bad and I still don't know what the 'hook up' is? Now I'll have to run a Ethernet cord from the router to the living room, that will be a challenge! I took the wall plates off and the connections look OK to me. Thanks for the help!

Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571