Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
louwho99

furnace failed AGAIN

It's 4:30am, outside temperature is minus 5 & the furnace has failed again. Down to 57 degrees in the RV. We have space heaters going but can't get it any warmer.
We've been in this 2008 MS for 3 years & every winter the furnace stops working. Every time it fails, we replace the mother board & it starts working again.
The furnace failed 1 month ago, so bought another new mother board. The furnace worked for a month. And now it's failed again.
Before we freeze to death, does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem really is with this furnace? Having the board continually fail can't be normal.
I appreciate your thoughts about this.

Cindy
2008 MS 38RLSB3

louwho99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
billr

Have the gas flow checked. The furnace is a heavy user and it may be on the low edge of the tolerance. It takes a few min for an RV tech to do. The regulator may need to be replaced. This is what we had to do several years ago with a intermittent furnace.

New regulator is not too much $.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
01zeosix

I agree with Bill. Had the same problem with mine. Replaced the regulator. Problem fixed.

Hope this helps.
'08 DRV MS 36RSSB3 (#4049)
100% LED Lighting
Duramax DRW Diesel
Almost "Dunworkin"
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
golf_bears

Are you talking about the regulator in the propane tank bay or some other regulator in line to the furnace?

Good info to know if and when we run into the same problem.

Not sure if this will help but had a similar problem recently during our stay in MI over the Thanksgiving holiday. Temps got down into the teens overnight. The furnace stopped working so I figured the propane tank was empty. Went out to check, gauge was still showing green. Switched over to the second tank and furnace fired up. The tank I switched from had a frost line about 14" up which surprised me. Had the tank filled and it took 7.5 gallons which also surprised me.

I figured cold temps lowered the pressure in the tank and gas would not flow out. Funny things happen when your on the road in cold temps.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
billr

Tank Regulator
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 12-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
terry and jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears
Are you talking about the regulator in the propane tank bay or some other regulator in line to the furnace?

Good info to know if and when we run into the same problem.

Not sure if this will help but had a similar problem recently during our stay in MI over the Thanksgiving holiday. Temps got down into the teens overnight. The furnace stopped working so I figured the propane tank was empty. Went out to check, gauge was still showing green. Switched over to the second tank and furnace fired up. The tank I switched from had a frost line about 14" up which surprised me. Had the tank filled and it took 7.5 gallons which also surprised me.

I figured cold temps lowered the pressure in the tank and gas would not flow out. Funny things happen when your on the road in cold temps.
It wouldn't have been the temperature lowering the pressure unless the gas was butane instead of propane. I used to haul and deliver both products back years ago and always had to go around to butane tanks and inject a bit of propane to increase the pressure. Butane is REALLY subject to cold, but it REALLY has to get cold to stop propane.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
louwho99

Thank you all for your suggestions. My husband did check everything & found a loose connection. Tightened it, hoping that the furnace would work, but it didn't. So we purchased another mother board, installed it, made sure all connections were tight & the furnace is working again.

Cindy
louwho99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
01zeosix

Glad you got it fixed!!! Nothing worse than being cold at this time of year. (Except, may e, bing froze up.)
'08 DRV MS 36RSSB3 (#4049)
100% LED Lighting
Duramax DRW Diesel
Almost "Dunworkin"
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
golf_bears

Terry,

Thanks for sharing that info on propane vs. butane. Perhaps it was the regulator giving me problems?

We're in an area now where temps are in the high 20s low 30s and are not experiencing any issues with the furnace or the propane. Maybe I'll have the regulator checked out when we get to our winter destination in the RGV.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
billr

Yes, good to have things running again! Strange another board, but they can go thats for sure.

Cold weather camping can be a real challenge.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Motor31

If the mother board keeps failing it sounds like there is an issue with possible surges in power. A spike or drop in power may be taking the board out. Given that the furnace is 12 volts my guess would be power drop more than a spike since the battery and converter "should" buffer any voltage fluctuations. I would check for wiring issues and any loose / dirty connections and voltage levels at the power feed to the board.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Okie

Cindy, Mike is right about the voltage at the input of your furnace board. It should run a little over 13 volts down to 12 volts checked with a digital meter. I can't imagine a low voltage taking out the mother board. I suspect, that in your case with all of the replacements you have had, that there is something wrong with the mounting of the mother board and it is being cracked when you are moving on the road. All it takes is a very small crack in the board. And it is out of business. You might not be able to see it. Something to check.

Okie
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Motorcycle Jack

Also check the 12V supply going into the furnace with your volt meter set on AC. AC getting into a DC board is a culprit most techs will not think of. AC will kill the board quickly (your time frame about right). If you see more than couple hundred millivolts of AC your converter is bad (out near the battery compartment) and needs to be replaced. Also there are services that will rebuild your board rather than buy a new one (I hope you didn't throw them away). Send one to them to have rebuilt and hold onto it if you lose yours - you have one.

Motorcycle Jack is offline   Reply With Quote