Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #21
Chandler

Does it sit flat against the generator housing so it doesn't take up much space in the bay area?

Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #22
AlmostRetired

It takes up as much space as a case of bottled beer. I think it's worth it.

AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #23
Chandler

OK, Thanks!
Old 09-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #24
AlmostRetired

Another thought. DRV did offer a 30 gal tank also. It would be placed where your spare tire is so you'd have to find a home for that. I have seen trucks with a roof rack that carried a spare if you want full cargo storage.
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #25
Chandler

It's another good option to consider. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #26
terry and jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugcatcher View Post
Are all dryers in RV's 240V?
Do some checking. At one time, Whirlpool made a dryer that was 120V. At the time we got our 2010, we bought the Whirlpool washer and dryer through a local dealer and had the RV dealer install them for us.

While the dryer has served us well, even at only 120V, we've had issues with the washing machine. In fact, we've had two different Whirlpool 7500 series washers in 4 1/2 years go out. However, I tend to suspect that a poor electrical supply has contributed to both going out.

We lived in Oklahoma City in a mobile home park for just over 3 years until we retired. In that spell of time, we experienced both an open neutral on the electric from the electric wiring outside and some low voltages due to poor connections at the pole. I think both of those situations contributed to the failure of the Whirlpool washers.

Regardless of whether you go with a 240V or a 120V dryer, make sure you have one of the Progressive Industries power protection units that give full protection against both low and high voltages. We have the PI EMS-HW50C with the remote display. It was installed after we moved from OKC by Slade at Rolling Retreats.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #27
wingnut60
Site Team

We have had a 120v dryer in our '05 since we bought it in '07--has worked just fine. I am sure if it were 240v it would dry faster...there have been posts in past years about how to wire for 240v if so desired. Not sure how a 240v would work with only a 30a hookup, tho.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #28
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
We have had a 120v dryer in our '05 since we bought it in '07--has worked just fine. I am sure if it were 240v it would dry faster...there have been posts in past years about how to wire for 240v if so desired. Not sure how a 240v would work with only a 30a hookup, tho.
Joe
It won't work. That is why I insisted that my GEN be 240V instead of 120V.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:41 AM   #29
clev

This is an old post, but I just found it. I'm in the planning stages of installing a 6kw diesel Onan, and my coach is gen prepped. My concern is fuel tank placement. Right now, I'm thinking of mounting an aluminum 20 gallon tank to the back rack, and running steel fuel line up to the front. How did you solve the problem? Also when you cut the floor, is it already braced to hold the weight of the gen? Which exhaust kit did you use? Sorry for all the questions, but I like to have things clear in my head before I start a project.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #30
wingnut60
Site Team

clev,
Sometimes the floor is marked for a gen the factory would have installed, but mostly not. You should be able to get a template from Cummins/Onan for the model you chose.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #31
clev

I have a mail into tech spt at DRV for measurements or templates, and info on supports, if they were installed.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #32
rorr1821

Installed a 7kw gasoline Onan in my DRV but if I have a do over would not do it. The added weigh and loss of storage does not justify it. If you do a lot of dry camping maybe but a portable Honda can also serve you well. It is a big deal to install. You need a special fuel tank with an evap system. Diesel is out because the 6kw is too heavy and the smaller ONAN does not have the power. The added weigh on my install with fuel tank was about 450 lbs. The tank empty was 70 lbs., generator 300 lbs and 15gal fuel. Propane generator is out because it is not fuel efficient.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #33
Chandler

clev,
After much research I purchased an ECI fuel station to put in the basement/storage area right next to the generator enclosure. Per safety requirements it has to have an enclosure around it also with the vent and fill spout to the outside wall. You can get an exhaust system from ONAN or there are after market ones too.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #34
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
Installed a 7kw gasoline Onan in my DRV but if I have a do over would not do it. The added weigh and loss of storage does not justify it. If you do a lot of dry camping maybe but a portable Honda can also serve you well. It is a big deal to install. You need a special fuel tank with an evap system. Diesel is out because the 6kw is too heavy and the smaller ONAN does not have the power. The added weigh on my install with fuel tank was about 450 lbs. The tank empty was 70 lbs., generator 300 lbs and 15gal fuel. Propane generator is out because it is not fuel efficient.
Yes, rorr, you have valid points. But , I have a 3500 watt Champion that works well if I am careful and selective. It will not work in 105 degree Texas heat because it won't run both AC's. One of the small Honda's would be useless. My 36RSSB3 is 18100 pounds, loaded and ready to go. The 400 pound diesel would get me to 18500. Fuel and tank, about 250 and it's still under GVWR. I won't put the tank in the belly and am asking for suggestions.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #35
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
clev,
After much research I purchased an ECI fuel station to put in the basement/storage area right next to the generator enclosure. Per safety requirements it has to have an enclosure around it also with the vent and fill spout to the outside wall. You can get an exhaust system from ONAN or there are after market ones too.
So, you're saying that there are regulations against mounting a small fuel tank on a back rack?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #36
clev

Rorr, did you do your install?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #37
rorr1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Rorr, did you do your install?
No I did not do the install but I had to lead the dealer by the hand to get it done. I also had to go back and replace the fuel lines because they used non appoved fuel injection lines. I did have the dealer put in a 15 gal remote upright ECI tank. The dealer did a very poor job. Also I installed a 7kw fuel injection generator rather than a carburetor. That presented a unique problem because after the generator got installed I found out it did not have the evap line as required by DOT. By luck I was able to get in touch with the Onan sales/engineer person who sent be a proto type retro fit part to add the evap line which connects to the carbon canister. So this install was not turn key deal

Ideal fuel tank location would be in the center or rear of the 5th wheel between the rails. However, I could not get any information from DRV on what was located between the rails. So short of dropping the under belly I had no way to find a location. If you have a place, time and help to drop the under belly shield then you might find a place between the rails which will be much better that the storage area. Mounting the tank in the storage area will require you to enclose the area. The main reason is not so much safety but so the gasoline smell does not get into the main storage area. I found even being extremely careful in refueling the tank and not spilling any fuel you will get some minor gasoline smell from the fuel lines and possibly carbon canister. Hot weather bring the smell out more. If you run metal lines then you may not have any smell. I used the best name brand fuel line US made but name just escapes me.

This is my story. Wish you the best.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #38
rorr1821

Champion generator

I just realized you are installing a Champion generator. If this is an off the shelf unit and not made for use in an enclosed box I would not use it. The RV made generator is made to put in an enclosed area. It has a bottom air intake/exhaust. It has heat shields. In my opinion using a generator like the ones sold at Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Northern in a 5th wheel closed box is very unsafe.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #39
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
I just realized you are installing a Champion generator. If this is an off the shelf unit and not made for use in an enclosed box I would not use it. The RV made generator is made to put in an enclosed area. It has a bottom air intake/exhaust. It has heat shields. In my opinion using a generator like the ones sold at Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Northern in a 5th wheel closed box is very unsafe.
No, I am not installing a Champion generator; I have 3500 on the back rack that I am using. I will be installing a 6kw Onan diesel if I can get the fuel tank problem worked out. I may just use 5-gallon fuel cans and set them out each time.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #40
Chandler

clev,
I wasn't saying you shouldn't put the fuel tank on the back, I was just saying what I decided to do and that you could put it in the basement if you wanted and install it in a safe way. Is it because of the xtra weight or the space that you didn't want it there?