Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #21
Free To Roam

Dometic called today, Friday, 27th. Will install a new unit, at my convienience, closer to my home, so I do not have to travel up to Elkhart...
Stay tuned, it will be a couple weeks until I can schedule...
Thanks..

Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
The View 5046

Good Luck and keep us posted.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #23
Free To Roam

Next Thursday the 9th, install a new model. Do not have to go up to Elkhart, they will let me go to a local service center...Stay tuned..
Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #24
Free To Roam

Friday, 10th....
New box installed. New door design, gravity assists is closing door against seal. So far seems to be an improvement, but will have to wait for a while to get some performance demonstrations from it.
Seven hours install, did not have to take window out, it did come out the entry door, close, but out!
Service facility did a good job, Modern Trailer, Anderson, Indiana, would recommend them if you need service in this area.
It came with installed sensors, 3 of them, one each in refer box, freezer, and outside rear of box, and a small lighter size collector of relayed information, and a question sheet on primary usage.
We are outta here for a couple weeks, so will have to wait for the performance report.
At this point, SEEMS sood, we shall see....
later...
Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #25
Pat L.

Dometic

Hey guys,
Are you saying that Dometic can't or will not replace the door seals? Mine has water dripping and a lot of frost in the freezer.
Pat L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
Free To Roam

They replaced the seals TWICE, and both were a joke. Moisture inside the cabinet was, for lack of a technical term, like a rainforest.
Water dripped from the top, inside if the cabinet, all the shelves were dripping, the freezer would loose product stored next to the door, and, there would be heavy icing on the cooling fins of the fridge section, the freezer had to be defrosted weekly, and to top it off, so much warm outside air mixed with cold air from inside, escaping, and, it occured in the area of the switch that controls the door water, it caused the switch to fail, the water in the door came on full force, and it could only be shut off by the valve under the sink...
The company replaced the cooling unit, why I will never figure, it was, and is a seal issue, they simply do not seal, due to poor design.
I had the extra warranty, not that it made mcuh difference, as the unit was still on the original factory warranty, but, at any rate, I squalked and hollered, excessively!
Two weeks ago, they replaced the WHOLE THING!
I have not been in the unit since, we summer on a houseboat in Kentucky, and, it is sitting in Indiana. I have had a neighbor go in and check it to be sure it is OK, and all seems well at this point. We will have to get back and use it to be able to tell if it actually is better. I tend to think it will be, asthey have redesigned the hinges, they now use gravity, and the weight of the door to effect a seal.
When we get back, and have a chance to use it, I will post an update as to the improvement, or, lack of...
Thanks!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
Free To Roam

Latest, july 4, 2011
New fridge has been installed about 3 weeks. We were not living in the unit for that time, came back Thursday, temp was 37, setting on 4.
Adjusted shelves, put in some groceries, temp went to 43.
Turned on ice maker, it flooded the freezer, leaked out door, made a mess.
Temp began rising, next day, eventually made it to 53, things in freezer thawed. As of today, temp has never gone below 40, had to shut off the ice maker, will call them tomorrow, begin fussing, anew.
At least this one has not at this point, generated huge amounts of moisture inisde the cabinet.
More later...
Tom and Liz
In Indiana for now
Old 07-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
RonS

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #29
Beachgirl

My new 2011 MS has a side by side Dometic that does the exact same thing- chases the outside temp. We've gotten in the habit of locking the fridge every time we close it- but it still doesn't really seal. We just got this trailer in March, and this is our first long stay in it.

Beachgirl
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #30
Free To Roam

Ours is a 2010 model, has done this from day one.
This new fridge does not sweat like the old one did, but, it does not stay cold either. Yesterday, with moderate usage, it wrnt to 53 deg, and stayed there all day, freezer warmed enough that the ice cream sogged up, so we drank it!
Have a call in to Dometic, we will post what the outcome of the call is.
I am leaning more and more to just biting the bullet, and replacing it with a residential unit, there are some very informative posts on this forum.
More later...
Tom and liz
Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #31
chevman

I know nothing really but have you looked to see if the light goes off when the door is shut. I had a problem once and the switch wasn't shutting the light off so I replaced the switch. The problem was my wife was cleaning the fridge and hit the switch for humidity in the door frame. It fixed our problem. chevman
Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #32
Free To Roam

Just had atwo more conversations with the factory, one with Customer Serivice, and one with engineering.
Seems the control board on the "eyebrow" has an inherent flaw. A new control control board is being processed, even as we speak.
On the ice maker issue, they are not sure of an answer, but, are most likley going to send an engineer HERE to check it out.
It is nice to have the sweating problem fixed, now, get the control board, and ice maker in line, and woo-hoo, life may be uncomplicated again!
More, when it happens....
Thanks...
Tom and Liz
In Indiana for now
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #33
Pat L.

Well this past weekend (The 4th) our refrigerator started to get warm. On setting '5' it was holding around 41 at night fall and the outside temp was 78*. We had rain storms so it cooled down to a comfortable temp. Just another thing we have to deal with. Crap --- This MS is getting to be my every day life of repairs. No time for work as I have to schedule appointments and make phone calls.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #34
GlennWest

Check to see if your fans(the ones on the outside of fridge) are working. Mine got warm and that was the problem. Mine is cooling great on 1 fan now in Texas heat.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #35
wanderingwingers

Also check to make sure your 12 volt disconnect switch at the outside panel where the level switches are is pulled out. The fridge needs 12 volts to work properly.

My fridge was chasing the outside temps and the fans were not working. I thought I had bad fans or the heat switch for the fans was bad.

Since we were always plugged into shore power I never noticed my 12 volt disconnect switch was pushed in. (Easy to do without knowing).

Once I pulled out the switch and 12 volts was restored to the fridge, it now stays at the 36 to 38 degrees on setting 3.
2010 MS 38RSSB3 #5378
2010 Ford F450
2008 Honda Goldwing Gl1800
www.wanderingwingers.blogspot.com
wanderingwingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #36
Pat L.

Yes - Both fans are working fine [noisy] and the DC switch is on. We are in a park set up so everything is running 24/7. We use the MS on the weekends as a get-a-way. More issues keep coming up each week. I never know what I will have to repair the next time we go to the unit. We will be taking a trip to Key West so I would like to have all issues repaired.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #37
Free To Roam

OK, here is the latest...
The fill valve is totally out of control. It seems to think it has to pass enough water to put out a Chicage style fire! No kidding....
It totally overflows the tray, puts 1/2 inch water in the bin, and another 1/2 inch in the bottom of the freezer, resulting in everything in the freezer being permanently stuck in an Arctic styleglacian impaction zone.
Factory is sending a new valve, and making arrangements to get it installed on the 25th or 26th.
Update when that happens...
Tom and Liz
Sittin' on Dale Hollow Lake...
Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #38
bucky49

dometic fridge

Have same problem and same answers so far on 4 door model been worked on by Bill's in Elkhart. Just put thermometer in box to see actual temp, per Bill's advice.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #39
Mike2338

Mine is completely out. I am getting an Error code of 3 which the manual states is a 'Cooling unit malfunction'. It is 4 months old and only has about 20 hours on it.
At the shop and will be looked at tomorrow.
Mike2338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #40
BillK

Mike 2338,
I had the same E3 code a couple weeks ago. I believe it was caused by us leaving the coach out of level while we were eating in a restaurant. I found a disconnect switch had thrown. It is located on the left side of the fridge inside the lower outside vent. It is between a couple wires and hard to find. All I did was push the tiny button back in and reset the thing. Things have worked perfectly ever since. Hope this helps.

BillK is offline   Reply With Quote