Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #41
bstark

All good stuff coming at you. As Billr has stated; you can do no better than a Trailersaver hitch in your truck IF it's a pick-up or a 450/550 Ford as an example. Something that needs mentioning is the rating of the hitch itself will not be a concern if you go with the Trailersaver as they are rated for 32,000lb's I believe. Along with this, if you get the Binkly head that comes with the Trailersaver you will have the absolute easiest hook-up/un-hook experience there is to be had. There can be no error in hooking up with the Binkly while some heads will give you the "high pinning" possibilities.

There are many good quality "robust" hitches out there like the Reese Signature series or the PullRite wrap around jaw type but, IMHO, none offer the complete all-round benefit package that the Trailersaver offers unless you move up to a very exotic hitch offered at greater cost (ET Junior for eg:) for some of the larger class 7/8 trucks.

If you are like most of us; budget is of course important but, following the logic that optioning up the coach for all contingencies and then cutting corners on the attachment between the truck and the trailer would in my mind provide you with a "false" savings as you cannot measure the value of the ride you're giving yourself in the truck or the ride you're giving your trailer and it;'s contents.

JMHO.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #42
Beachgirl

Hitchin up

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful, helpful replies.

I'm going to switch to the 15 BTU a/c , front and back, w/ heat pumps. Thank you for your seasoned advice there.

I think we will go with the Trailsaver hitch, partly due to that Binkly head. Have only read rave reviews from users.

So last question! LOL Now that we've decided on the air hitch, should we also get the air pinbox with triglide? We are going to get the Trail Air suspension regardless.

Also, just how uncomfortable are those recliners? Deleting them only saves $400...ie we're paying $200. each. There is no Mobile Suite nearby or I'd just go plunk myself down.

I have been in them several times, but it's different when it's D Day, lol.
And are there handy outlets near the dresser in bdrm to place the heater? We aren't doing the vanity slide.
Also, another mod we are doing: having them install Hot Water dispenser to left of faucet. We love ours at home. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A7GBCNIY9L1WN

Thank you all SOOO much!

Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #43
Beachgirl

We're planning to get a 2011 Chevy; it's towing/ specs are quite close to the Ford F450.

I called Hensley (who makes the TrailerSaver) He thought we should forego the TrailAir pinbox w/ TriGlide.

1. It's no longer needed w/ an air hitch, and 2. It would create another pivot point= more movement.

So we will still get the Trail Air Suspension. Whew! Nearing the final moment here. DH recalls disliking the recliners so we will just order La Z Boys. I wish I knew what model Cardinal puts in their trailers as they were very comfortable.
Thank y'all again soo much!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #44
john

Suspension

Have you taught about Mo/ryde Suspension. We love ours on our 2006, no air to check......no chucking with the Mo/ryde hitch.
How about 4 steps?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #45
Beachgirl

Yes, we did option the 4 steps. Thank you for mentioning it. :)

Does anyone know if the non slide out vanity in the bedroom has an outlet on it?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #46
bstark

In my mind you do not need the Trailair pinbox with the Trailersaver hitch and also that will eliminate an additional complication during hitching/unhitching. The tendancy of the Trailair pinbox to arc down when you come out from under the pin will no longer be added to the Trailersaver also wanting to rise when unhooking. The Trailersaver hitch will have a relativley convenient control you can use to release air from it "IF" required whereas the Trailair in most cases requires you to hop up into the bed of the truck to take the cap off the fill stem and depress the core with a key or something which can be a PITA.

This rise of the hitch bladders and drop of the pinbox lower jaw would require you to either remove air from them or to raise the trailer almost a full foot to align your height for backing under so that the two align for hook-up. You don't need that aggro. The Trailersaver can be optioned on install with an on-board Viair compressor capable of adding air on demand to the hitch itself, your truck tires, suspension air bags if added, the Trailair suspension AND your trailer's "H" rated 125psi tires. some of the 12v Viair's are quite capable little monsters that have a higher CFM rating than the cheap 12v jobbies you can get at any auto supply and it can be installed permanently under your truck alongside a frame member. OR you could just go with a 120v compressor capable of 135psi or thereabouts so it will push a full 125psi into your trailer tires without you having to sit there for an hour.

This is of course only necessary under very limited circumstances. You could trailer for years without having to release the air but if you ever do it's nice to not have to be a gazelle to do it.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #47
Beachgirl

Haven't finalized yet. I am having second thoughts about the 38 TKSB vs the 38 Rssb3. I love the look of the peninsula and the extra counter space. OTOH, it's not just the 2 of us,; we have 4 kiddoes still at home. I'm wondering if that J- hook counter will box us in and impede traffic flow.

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #48
terry and jo

Beachgirl,

Too bad you aren't in Oklahoma. You could come see our 38TKSB3. When we were looking, we drove from the Oklahoma City area up to Springdale, Arkansas to see a 38TKSB3 on the lot. I had read where someone thought the computer desk just took up too much space in the living room.

However, we are heavy computer users, so a desk is important to us. And, we didn't think the desk overpowered the room.

Now, in a previous posting, you asked about bedroom outlets. Ours has four in the bedroom. One is on the wall between the dresser and the overhead storage on the right hand side. There are one each over the two "night tables" that we have due to the queen bed. And the third is on the wall to the left of the closet and is close to the nightstand on that side. That one is brown. Check the photos below. Also, you can look at my Photobucket account below at the folder entitled Our New Home to see pictures of the 38TKSB3. If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_6448_181.jpg (100.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg dsc_6426_211.jpg (113.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg dsc_6421_177.jpg (97.6 KB, 130 views)
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #49
Beachgirl

Those photos were most helpful! Plus I got to see what our queen suite will look like! :) If you could do one more photo for me...we are thinking of getting drawers under the queen, but really need to be able to store a couple sleeping bags and pillows under there. Would it all fit?

I think the desk is perfect for a couple....since we have large numbers of people over, living space is a premium. :) IE no desk.

My angst is I love the look of the peninsula, but my older children are telling me it's just not very practical. Like having to run around the island to access the kitchen, or being stuck if someone has the fridge open. I'm going to sleep on it and call to finalize tomorrow. They are voting for the island. I might vote them off the island, rofl! Just kidding, they are great.

We do frequently have crowds in and serve buffett style when the gang is all around...we're talking 17 people or so...so traffic flow is a consideration, as is *counter space*! Hence my angst...

Thank you so much! We are just about DONE!! This group has helped us immensely! Nailing the hitch thing down was a biggie! Hopefully we will get to meet some of you at SOITC rallies and such.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #50
The View 5046

We have had the TK style kitchen on 3 different 5th wheels. We order our 38 RSSB 3 with the vanity slide and the kitchen has a 84" kitchen isle. The TK kitchens just didn't give us enoutgh room in and around the kitchen. We have a large furr kid and the 84" extended kitchen isle gives so much more room. and we lost no cabinet space. We use laptop computers so we had no need for the desk in our opinion the desk was wasted space. We had the desk before and really wasn't used that much. Other have different opinions. We also deleted the bath room window and now wish we had deleted the window behind the TV just another wasted window. The vanity slide is a plus for us more room in the bedroom and we also downsized to the queen bed had only king size in the other 4 5er again you gain more space.

We also didn't want the Trailair pin box with the pin weight of the Suites the Trailer Saver air 5th wheel hitch is a better option for us. Hitching and unhitching is much easier with the Trailer Saver, we have a standard pin box. One other thing if you go with the Winguard roof mounted Dish, I recomend you have Drv mount the dish as forward or as far to the rear as possible. Ours is mounted just a little forward of center and at time it would have been better far forward or as far to the rear as possible. We also went with the Elite Suites color on the Micro/Convection and the Fridge, we had two other 5th wheels with the Stainless steel and so very easy to damage, the Black doesn't show damage as much. The cabinet for the dishes is glass in ours and we wish we would have had solid doors there. Good Luck.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #51
Beachgirl

Thank you for your reply. I hadn't realized the stainless would show more damage. Our dealer already offered the black fridge at no charge. I wasn't sure if it would match the counter top. Damage could be an issue tho...we have kiddoes!! :shock:

Have waffled about the tv window. We sometimes would have the tv down during the day.

I think if I go with the island, I will have them put a door to the right of the oven, drawers in lieu of oven, then keep the cab door that is there on the right. Symmetry.

Another option offered was to keep the RSSB, but still put a J hook in. Then you get more counter space (ie left of the stove). But you cut down on your living a bit. All of y'all's experiences are helpful as we ponder. I so appreciate you all taking the time with so many petty questions!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #52
terry and jo

Beachgirl,

Your wish is my command. Sadly, I don't have a picture of Delaine and Lindy's (The View) kitchen arrangement so I can't get you a comparison of that island and the peninsula.

I am attaching three pictures of the space under the bed. It doesn't look like there is room for drawers and sleeping bags. You'll see in the photos.

Now, if Delaine and Lindy still have my e-mail address, they might could send me a photo of their island and I could post it. Or, they could post it themselves.

We considered the vanity (or fourth slide) in the bedroom. While it does give you more walking around room and a little more room in the closet, it is at the expense of overhead storage space, the two side storage cabinets between the overhead and the dresser, and space in the drawers of the dresser itself. If you are considering the fourth slide, I can post comparison photos on my Photobucket page. I don't want to post too many pictures on Fifth Wheel Forum's website because it adds bandwidth.

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_8329_117.jpg (94.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg dsc_8328_167.jpg (92.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg dsc_8326_191.jpg (96.2 KB, 114 views)
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #53
Beachgirl

Wow! There is certainly not room under there for a drawer and gear! It must be a tank under there. The under bed space looks different under the king. Thank you so much! I think I might skip the drawer. Thank you again!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #54
terry and jo

Because The View (Delaine and Lindy) posted the comment about the vanity slide, I've now posted photos that I took about a year ago of a Mobile Suites 36RSSB4 and a Mobile Suites 38TKSB3. They are on my Photobucket account at the link below.

We drove all the way from the Oklahoma City area to Springdale, Arkansas to see the 38TKSB3 because I had read somewhere that someone thought the desk overwhelmed the area in the living room. Since we are heavy computer users, we decided the desk space was important, so we elected to go with the 38TKSB3 after actually seeing the coach with the desk.

Jo and I had been seriously considering getting the vanity slide when we ordered our 38TKSB. But, after comparing the space lost in overhead storage, dresser drawer space lost, and the loss of two cabinets to the left and right of the window, we decided against the vanity. We would have gained some "walk around" floor space and a little more space in the closet for hanging clothes. But, we would have also lost a little space in the closet for shelf storage on the door side of the coach.

Each of the photos at the link have a description of what differences there are in the two versions. One other difference, however slight, is that the non vanity slide version had an additional mirror in the bedroom that could be slid aside to let one see out the window. The vanity slide version does not have that mirror.

Terry

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Comparison/
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #55
Beachgirl

I just looked at those photos. I am so glad that we did not choose the bdrm slide, even tho the dealer recommended it. We really need the drawers for the 4 kiddoes, and the storage in the nonslide version is amazing!

That is also the first time I've really gotten a good look at the window mirror.

Thank you so much for sharing those and taking the time and trouble. I excitedly showed dh and we are now even more looking forward to this trailer.

We are also heavy computer users, but like to sit in our recliners with our laptops. :)

We agree the Queen set up will give us all the room we need.

Thank you again for taking the time and trouble. I really appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #56
The View 5046

We also deleted the Oven we never use the Oven. Delaine can cook almost anything in the Convection oven. We actually have so much drawer space some of ours has nothing in them. As for the Vanity slide we think its one of our best options we need the room more that the drawer space. As for the Queen size bed the bed has two sliding drawers under the foot. We learned several years ago that the more storage space you have the more stuff you haul around you never use. Our basement is about half full. I will tell you, no matter what you order when it gets here you will think of something else. Or Drv will make changes thru the year. We have a early 2010 Suites and it has been many changes in the first year. Good Luck.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #57
Beachgirl

Thanks for your post, Delaine. Were you guys by any chance going down I12
in Louisiana on Sunday morning on your way to Gulf Shores?
We saw a Suite!

Yes, we deleted the oven too.

We need all that storage. We have, blush, ten kids. Usually, we have 7 of them around at any given time, though sometimes all ten. Two are married.

It's true they will make changes. Then I will just have to practice the art of contentment. Big grin.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #58
hitchup

We had a 36TK3 with peninsula and would get caught in it when another wanted to access drawer or cabinet. That's why we ordered the 38TKSB3 with an Island (38RSSB wasn't a FP at the time). Then paid extra to have it extended. Now I think they might all be extended.
I like having the end cabinet on the Island and it's easier to move around both sides of kitchen so two can work in it at once.
Our Ent Ctr had to be somewhat customized. It is wider than 2011's 38RSSB models. The oven side of the kitchen is identical to our 36TK and provides plenty of countertop. Mixing, baking is all done near the sink anyhow. The overage kitchen storage goes in the Ent Ctr. [/img]

Beachgirl: our underbed storage is twice the size of Terry & Jo's. We have a Qn, but all the hoses from the w/d run down underneath in center of bed. If you are having bunks put into the w/d area, you may get more underbed storage since they can keep it open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4120_304.jpg (33.2 KB, 72 views)
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #59
terry and jo

Vickie and David,

Do you suppose they changed something from 2009 to 2010 on the 38TKSB3? Ours is a 2010, so Beachgirl may want to check with someone at the factory (NOT THE DEALERSHIP) as to whether the box that in under our bed would be the same in a 2011.

For yours to be twice the size underneath as ours would mean that there would be practically no box at all, because the box under ours takes up about half the room. Interesting.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 12-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #60
Beachgirl

I did call Kyle at the factory and ask about the underbed storage. He said it does vary, but the 2011 would have more than Terry and Jo's. I think I am going to opt for no drawer anyways so that I have plenty of room for sleeping bags, pillows, etc.

After much thought, I think what we like most is the peninsula. I figure that most of the kitchen activity that is non-cooking related involves the fridge and the pantry, neither of which are behind the peninsula. I just love that look!

It's a given that we are getting the 38', and that we are eliminating the desk.

Now I just have to decide do I want the 38 RSSB that has the extra counter top to the left of the stove and with an added J Hook - a peninsula- for lots of counter space; or do I want the 38 TKSB3 with the extra room there ( w/o) the desk. This would involve a larger entertainment center. Maybe it would the look like Vickie and Dave's? Is that the look minus the desk? It looks huge!

We decided against the bunk beds. Our youngest just has an inch to go and he will be too tall.

So kitchen larger? Or living room? We do plan to have the hi lO table and that does make it seem smaller. I keep combing the Youtube videos to see what the smaller living room is like vs the smaller kitchen.