Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
patjellis

Question Pro's & Con's of front or rear kitchen

We are starting the search for the perfect 5'er. Anyone have good or bad experiences with a front or rear kitchens. I think either is appealing but not wanting to make a big mistake. We like total separation of rooms. Any and all suggestions welcome.

pje

patjellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.
Don't have any experience with either floorplan, hopefully someone who has/had one will jump in.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
Rhagfo

We have a rear kitchen and DW loves it! LARGE counter space! The refer and stove on back wall with just over 3' of counter to the corner. Then a counter along the side wall just over 5', then a sink peninsula of about 3'.
I would post a picture, but hung on slow cellular connection for 5 more days.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
patjellis

What about issues with the additional weight in the rear or pulling issues because of the added rear weight. I really think either the RK or a FK is the best for our lifestyle.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by patjellis View Post
What about issues with the additional weight in the rear or pulling issues because of the added rear weight. I really think either the RK or a FK is the best for our lifestyle.
I have never noticed an issue, still carry 22% pin weight.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Mel11

I had a rear kitchen unit.
Stuff was always flying out from a ruff ride for contents in kitchen and a lot of weight behind balance point.
My next 2 unit I when for a mid kitchen MUCH better IMO
Mel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
pterrydactyl

Our 1st fiver was a 27’ with rear kitchen. Never had a drawer or door pop open with standard hardware. Nothing broken. I’d be careful opening a soda can or bottle after all the shaking. refridge stayed closed but had to be careful opening the door. My now fiver has had refrigerator door pop open and we list 1 egg in a carton. Few other items on floor. The storage door beneath the oven pops open occasionally. Nothings been broken. Kitchen is just in front of the axels. Hope this helps.
pterrydactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
CoMaddMax

My parents had a rear kitchen and my mom hated it. Too much stuff bouncing around. Ours is a mid kitchen and we love it!
2018 Chevy Duramax DRW
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #9
fshrmndave

Here is an additional problem with a rear kitchen if the refrigerator vents are on the back of the unit. If you traveling in rain or wet snow with salt added the spray from the road get sucked right into the vents.
2005 RE3 Mobile Suites #1646
2004 Chev Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
fshrmndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
joleyred

Mid kitchen here and love it.
joleyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #11
mavrick8019

Rear kitchen

We have a rear kitchen and my wife lives it. Have had no issues with things flying around. There is alot more room for guests and just moving around
mavrick8019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #12
ciara_belle

We just ordered this alpine 3800 fk... i loved the layout.. won't be arriving til end of sept so we shall see. prior i had mid kitchen - and nothing rarely ever moved.. coffee maker / ice maker just sat by the stove... no worries. hoping its just as good in the front kitchen.

https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...rplans/3800fk/
ciara_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #13
patjellis

Sure don't like the thought of the salt getting into the vents. Guess we won't consider a rear kitchen. Thanks to all.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #14
Army Guy

Rear kitchen and love it. Plenty of room in kitchen. No issues with drawers or food stuff. Have had both mid level kitchen and rear kitchen.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
Hooter56

We have a rear kitchen, and we love it. We pondered for many weeks as to which would work best for us.
No issues with stuff being tossed about. The fridge is right by the door, so its simple to pass the food out, or more importantly, beer, for outdoor consumption.
Hooter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #16
Rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshrmndave View Post
Here is an additional problem with a rear kitchen if the refrigerator vents are on the back of the unit. If you traveling in rain or wet snow with salt added the spray from the road get sucked right into the vents.
Travel in the rain all the time, never an issue with refer on back wall.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #17
Rhagfo

You might consider total floor plan. Rear kitchen mid entry like we have you don’t have all living room traffic passing through the kitchen area.
In addition all of our possible fire sources are beyond all sleeping areas and the door. With a mid kitchen several fire sources are between both sleeping areas and the mid door.
I also feel rear kitchen rear door is bad, once again all traffic passes through the kitchen, and once again several fire sources are between sleeping areas and the door, just food for thought.

I will add that we did have an issue once, traveling north on 101 just south of Seaside, OR road had been flooded within the last few days. Same old “Rough Road” that had been there for years, but the road surface had a new buckle much like a parking lot speed bump! TV felt strong bump (new Bilstein shocks) I still think the 5er tires left the ground! Well had beer and pop on the refer door broke three of the four shelf’s. I installed shocks on the 5er within a month!
Old 09-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #18
Waldo Camper

We have a 2016 Bay Hill 340RK which is a 39'+ with rear kitchen. It is great for the DW but not so much for my waistline. For example, this morning was eggs over easy, cast iron skillet home fries, bacon, sliced fresh tomatoes and toast.

The only drawback is the seating area. It is not nearly as comfortable for family and friends as the 2001 Coachmen Royal 325 RLS we had before.

Contentment in life is a series of tradeoffs.
Waldo Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #19
pterrydactyl

Whoever said RV camping meant sacrificing was wrong. Sounds like you have an excellent cook and are living the good life while on the road. Have great travels!
pterrydactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #20
fjr vfr

There are so many things to consider. To start with what size trailer are you looking for? Do you take short trips within one day travel time or do you require days living on the road?
If you are living part of the time traveling between destinations, then consider if you can get by without extending out your slide/slides? I've seen many trailers you can't get to the fridge or toilet when the slide is in. You might not be able to use the entertainment center with the slide in? None of this maters much if all your trips are within a days travel, but if on the road can be a big disadvantage.

One of our considerations was a trailer we could live in when staying overnight at the Walmart rv park or truck stop or rest area. When we stop for lunch DW has to be able to get to the fridge and prepare food.

One other thing we like about our rear living is the windows! We have a very big window in back another at the dinette along with a number of smaller windows. Many other layouts had limited window area. We personally like to feel part of our surroundings. I'm a little claustrophobic...lol Of course everyone is different and that's the point. We are all relating our own experiences. Hope it helps. Good luck.

fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote