Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
5thwheeler

Common Wildcat fresh tank problems.

We have owned 2 Wildcat 5thwheels - both of which have had some tank filling, venting and capacity issues.
Our first one was a 2003 28BHS which on our first trip we noticed water spilling out of the vent hose which on this unit exited from underneath next to the drain. Forest River saved $.38 by not running the hose up to the vent attachment point located on the fill adapter instead, they caulked over it. With any amount of un-level, sloshing from travel ect water was lost out the vent hose. We corrected this by squirting the end of the vent hose with silicone calk permanently plugging it. This solved the problem but created a slow fill problem as the fill hose was now also the vent hose. We needed to fill at a trickle
so water could go in and as volume increased, air could escape.
On our new 2005 29BHBP we added a second water tank which we ordered from the factory. Please read the separate post with photos for details.
When we dropped the underbelly we discovered the vent line does run up to the fresh fill point like it should but it was routed below the vent exit point before it went up to the fill point. Water would spill into the vent lines low point and it would spit at us when we filled the fresh tank. The trailer also showed a 43 gallon fresh capacity but we never got anywhere close to 43 gallons out of it. The reason is part install error, part creative marketing. When we ordered the 2nd tank using the factory tanks part number the rep told us it was listed as a 37 gal tank. Creative marketing adds the capacity of the hot water heater (6 gallons) to the tank (37 gallons) – do the math.
The install error was in the routing of the line to the water pump. As it exited the tank it was pulled up above the bottom of the tank by about 4 inches. The tank could never be fully drained beyond the remaining 4 inches. We solved this by cutting the zip-tie holding the line up higher then the bottom of the tank allowing it to run slightly lower then the bottom of the tank. The bottom of the tank was also molded with several indentations in the bottom for strength which trapped water leaving several gallon un-available since it was trapped in these indentations.
Another proble we had was when filling the tank water would leak from inside the tank area from somewhere. We removed the fill point from the outside and found a loose hose clamp where the fill line attached to the back. Water would leak past and run down the hose.
I’ll do a diagram and attach it but you will only be able to see it if you are registered & logged in – FREE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tanklines_286.jpg (7.8 KB, 135 views)

5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
6Rurys

Hum you are pulling my leg? I just bought a 31QBH and when I tried to add water to the fresh water side it squrted back at me. I was told I had the water on to fast and to slow down the water coming out of the hose to the camper. Now I am wondering.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
Harold Sledge

Hi my name is Harold from Iowa. We have a 2003 wildcat 5th wheel being towed by a 2003 Chevy 2500HD, 6.0 engine. The biggest problem I had with water is the hose clamps. I was filling at the back and the pump blow off a hose so the under plastic under cover was full before I saw the water. I stuck a knife into the lowest spot of the under cover. The small cheap hose clamp, did I say small clamps! I do remove the water filter at home, I place it in a freezer bag before placing it in the house frig.
Harold Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
topdog07

Same problem Forest River 2005 Wildcat fresh water side it squirted back
topdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote