Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
whmayhew

120 volt residential power

How do I get 120 volts in my 2014 Mobile Suites SKSB3 without shore power? Any help would be appreciated. There is no 120 volt power inside now.

whmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
porkchop

The options include an invertor or generator. Invertors are great for small or select loads. Generators are more flexible and will handle larger loads. Costs are all over the map for either. Just have to decide how much of what you want to run and how much money you want to spend. Good luck with your choice.

Bill

If you are afraid to speak the truth because of what others may think it says a lot about you and what you are willing to settle for.

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
whmayhew

Porkchop this is your old camper. Should I be able to have 120 power with hooking up my power cord on my garage. With it unplugged (my son-in-law just brought it back this morning) shouldn't I be able to run the frig off the 2 6 volt batteries? We are going to Yellowstone next May and I was hoping to run the frig steady.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
Notanlines

This probably isn't the answer you were hoping for, but it does ring true anyway. No, you can't run your standard 120 volt refrigerator off 2 6 volt batteries FOR ANY APPRECIABLE LENGTH OF TIME." Your RV probably has an inverter that will run it for a short period, but those two batteries will run down quickly. I'm sure others here will chime in on how long it can run with an answer more accurately than mine. I'm guessing about 3 to 5 hours max. I might also add that many inverters cut off when the battery supply reaches about 40-50% so they don't run dead flat. Many Suites owners have gone to a 4 battery setup that may help with your situation. Search this site or IRV2.com for more answers. And, by the way, welcome to the forum.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
whmayhew

Thanks for the answers. I found a switch inside the closet by the door that goes to the inverter. That turned it on and it was running the frig.
I was worried about the frig for next years trip. My 2017 Ford F350 has 2 alternators with over 300 amps that should run the frig headed out there from here in Maine.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
porkchop

I thought I recognized your name! Yes, just turn the invertor on and the frig is automatically taken care of. The switch for on/off is in the cabinet with the slide switches.
Far right side if I remember correctly.

We had traveled for 7-8 hrs before and never had a problem with it turning off, but of course the tow vehicle is inputting a small amount while running. I had 1 night boon docking 1 time and it still was on in the am, so don't really know how long the batteries will actually last.

Best of luck in your travels.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
whmayhew

Thanks Bill, good luck in your travels too. In almost the one year that we have had it, my wife and I have not even used it. My daughter and son-in-law enjoy it though.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Foretravelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmayhew View Post
Thanks Bill, good luck in your travels too. In almost the one year that we have had it, my wife and I have not even used it. My daughter and son-in-law enjoy it though.
You also should take your 50 amp cord, reduce it to 110 and keep the batts up with that and run your fridge! When I get ready to hit the road, that is exactly what I do.
I have a 50 to 30 adapter to a 110. Works like a charm! I do have the 2800 magnum and 4 AGM batts, but it should work okay with your two batteries.
Hope this helps!
Foretravelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
Foretravelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretravelman View Post
You also should take your 50 amp cord, reduce it to 110 and keep the batts up with that and run your fridge! When I get ready to hit the road, that is exactly what I do.
I have a 50 to 30 adapter to a 110. Works like a charm! I do have the 2800 magnum and 4 AGM batts, but it should work okay with your two batteries.
Hope this helps!
Oh, I'm juicesqueezer on the DRV forum and I have a 2014 MS Estates.

Foretravelman is offline   Reply With Quote