Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
joleyred

I've driven work trucks and RV haulers for many years and I prefer a safety cushion on my vehicles GVWR. I feel better with the load spread over 4 tires on the rear instead of 2 tires. I feel better going down the road well under loaded.

joleyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #12
Rhagfo

Well many feel ok pulling a 16,000# 5er with a SRW 3500, in my opinion a 3500 SRW is just a 2500 with heaver springs and maybe higher rated tires (optional on the 2500). So not much difference! Do yourself a BIG favor and get the 3500 DRW, no issues with weight. that is my next TV.

Just pulled my DD new to her 30' all aluminum four horse slant with living quarters from Medford, OR to Portland, OR.

I convinced her to get an 2004 DRW Ram 3500 to tow it with after that scale trip.

It being a GN horse trailer the axles are way at the rear, we scaled on the way home and I calculated the pin to be north of 2,600#, this picture is while getting and just after geting new tires before the trip home. Who can guess how far over GVWR my 2001 2500 with just stock Camper Package is no Timbirns or bags!! I was surprised.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #13
Centexrider

Another consideration

It never hurts to have more towing capacity than you need, so a one ton dually should be a consideration for current and possible future upgrades, particularly if the numbers even come close to the need. That said, one more consideration is licensing. In Texas, and many states mirror this, a Class A driver license is required when there is "a combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds". So for example, my 2015 Ram dually has a GCWR of 27,300 pounds. The GVWR of my fifth wheel (dry weight plus capacity) exceeds 16,000 pounds. I'm clearly required under Texas licensing law to have a Class A license. This is not necessarily a CDL! There is another classification called Class A exempt (for RV and farming purposes). However, it does require (in Texas) a short written test and a driving test.

Centexrider is offline   Reply With Quote