Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
stanleyz

To replace or repair air conditioner

05 36 TK3 front a/c has bad motor, runs fine on low dies after 15 mins on high. I've done all the cheap stuff, no help. So, I can pull the motor and replace it or I can replace the A/C. BTW it is a 12.5 Dometic on the comfort control system, ducted of course. My lean is to replace the A/C then I have to decide whether to do it myself or have it done.

So has anyone ever replaced one? If so are there any snakes I need to know about? I'm thinking pull the shroud, open up the covers, remove the bolts and lift it off. Now, I'm wondering will the replacement just fit on and match up to the duct or will I get in to modifying it? All the you tube stuff I can find is for units with the panel on the bottom of the A/C (ceiling of the RV) All answers will be appreciated, knowledgeable answers will be cherished. Thanks for reading this.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Cummins12V98

Piece if cake to replace! I would opt for a 15k and would also get the extended warranty.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Dapperdan

The biggest issue for me, if I were doing it would be getting that AC on the roof. That too me spells too much risk pulling something or straining something.

Don’t they fork lift those things up there if a shop does the replacement?

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I have pulled mine up and off to fix a loose piece of tape that was making noise. Easy to pull off, weighs maybe 80 lbs? If I was to try to replace myself, I would have to have another person to help hoist the new and old up and down off the roof. A hi-lo would be best but using a extension ladder and ropes to use as a slide would work too. The replacement should bolt right up and fit exactly in the old opening.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
Notanlines

I'm going to side with Cummins on this topic, although only the first half of his advice. We wouldn't buy the extended warranty. Do it yourself. Then you'll "have a story to tell.":
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

Stanley,
I believe somewhere I have read that the newer Dometics don't exactly PnP with the old wiring/thermostat. Might check on that with Dometic if they are reachable.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
porthole

I replaced my 7 year old 15K with a new, much better insulted unit. Updated to the digital thermostat as well and ordered it with the heat strip again (not a heat pump). Also a new matching interior grill.

Hardest part as mentioned is getting it up on the roof.

I used ropes and pulled it up a ladder.

Old unit just took a nose dive off the roof.
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Cummins12V98

On the unit I replaced I layed a pc of plywood over the top edges of my truck bed with truck backed tight to front of RV. Sat unit on plywood then lifted to top front of RV. I just chucked the old unit over the edge. The Dometic extended warranty from what I remember was cheap for the extra years.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
stanleyz

Thank you one and all. So for those of you who have done this with a duct system, how is it secured to the roof. Mine looks like it has four lag bolts screwed into the plywood roof, is that correct? If so, did you just re-bolt in to the same holes? It seems to me that second bite would be a little less robust, what do you think? Thanks
Old 04-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
porthole

Most have 4 very long machine screws from the bottom, inside.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #11
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Don’t think so with my ducted system. I have nothing on the BR ceiling but air ducts. The long bolts work with stand alone units.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
Notanlines

Stanley, the four lag bolts are screwed into a wooden cross member. I will say that once you've taken those bolts out and ready to put a new unit in, how bad can it be? What could pull the units loose? Oh, that's right. The Comcast cable left at 12' in the RV park. Camping World replaced four of the beams, the entire roof, all the plumbing vents, no telling what else and all is good.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #13
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Stanley, the four lag bolts are screwed into a wooden cross member. I will say that once you've taken those bolts out and ready to put a new unit in, how bad can it be? What could pull the units loose? Oh, that's right. The Comcast cable left at 12' in the RV park. Camping World replaced four of the beams, the entire roof, all the plumbing vents, no telling what else and all is good.
Are you serious, that really happened to you? The cable was strong enough to destroy part of the roof? That may be the worst RV experience I've heard about except highway events. Sorry about that. I guess if they are in cross members that are solid the reinstalled lag bolts would hold. Thanks
Old 04-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #14
Chad Heiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Not on the ducted DRV AC installations. There is no acces to the bottom of the AC from inside the trailer. If it is an older non ducted installation, then removing the vent cover from inside the trailer would give you access to the screws that sandwich the AC to the roof.
Chad Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Mine had the 4 lag bolts and I just reused the same holes when I lifted mine up and cleaned the fan.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #16
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Heiser View Post
Not on the ducted DRV AC installations. There is no acces to the bottom of the AC from inside the trailer. If it is an older non ducted installation, then removing the vent cover from inside the trailer would give you access to the screws that sandwich the AC to the roof.

Was going by my old fashioned set up

I do have ducted AC on the main unit, but it is the style with the dump, so I can just drop the big bezel and unscrew the rooftop AC.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #17
Notanlines

Keep in mind that the TV cable is supported by a 1/2 steel cable, pole to pole. RV park did have the brains enough to warn us. Pictures are worth thousands of words....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2274.JPG (130.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2269.JPG (138.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2263[3157].JPG (114.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #18
Chad Heiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Keep in mind that the TV cable is supported by a 1/2 steel cable, pole to pole. RV park did have the brains enough to warn us. Pictures are worth thousands of words....
OUCH, that will put a damper on your day.
Chad Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:06 AM   #19
Dapperdan

Jim, where did that happen? I'm curious, everybody at the campground made it under the cable line but you didn't? That's really amazing.

How long did CW take to do the repair?

Sorry for highjacking this thread!

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:09 AM   #20
Notanlines

I happened at Sunny Pines RV Park in Sebring, Florida. Hurricane damage brought down the cable back in the early fall. Comcast apparently came out, repaired the TV cable but left it too low, saying they would be back to raise it to the acceptable height. The eventual end was Comcast insurance covered all repairs, Camping World in Fort Myers did the repairs in five days (let me say, their new roof installation is neater in appearance than the original) and all is well. When DW and I pulled it to get things started CW put a tech and a helper on it immediately and in 2 hours the roof was patched and we were on the road back to our spot at our regular RV park in Clewiston. They called in three weeks, we brought the RV in early Monday morning and picked it up the following Saturday morning. Oh, seventeen thousand dollars will buy a complete new roof, two 15K AC/heat exchangers and all new vents, etc. We still harbor evil thoughts towards the cable repair person, but life goes on.