Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
jbranontn

Tankless water heater

Just returned from maiden trip in our 2011Wildcat 5th wheel 302RLS. I have a question about my tankless water heater. First, after de-winterizing and sanitizing the fresh water tank, i filled it back up. I then went out and flipped switch on outside inside water heater panel. Is there anything else i needed to do before getting hot water? I ask because when turned on hot water. The water heater started making a loud noise when it kicked on. Is it normal to be so loud? I immediately cut it off because wasn't sure i had done everything correctly.

jbranontn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
clev

I have 2 tankless, LP, water heaters in my home, but not in my RV. Neither makes any noise except for the LP burner. Is yours electric or gas? I believe electric heaters have expansion noises associated with them, but am not sure. Be a little more explicit with your post.

'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
engineerk7

My wife and I are seriously looking into RVing 5th wheel toy hauler and truck, the tankless water heater was or is a question I have, are they really worth the effort to install into an rv?
engineerk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
onetonford

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerk7 View Post
My wife and I are seriously looking into RVing 5th wheel toy hauler and truck, the tankless water heater was or is a question I have, are they really worth the effort to install into an rv?
In my opinion for Boondocking or dry camping no because you tend to use more water. but if you stay in full service campgrounds than they are ok I have a 10 gallon gas/electric on mine and it is more than enough for us and believe me my wife uses alot of hot water.
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
dmorse68

As a stationary fulltimer, I can definitely see the pros to having a tankless water heater...Could do laundry, take long showers in the cold, winter mornings, run dishwasher often, fill up our hot tub inside our unit. Okay that last one is a pipe dream.

If our 12 gallon Suburban ever goes out, I might just go the tankless way.

Do they provide instant hot water? If they do, I would think that in a boondocking situation, less water would be used with one because there is no waisting that 1/2 gallon of water waiting for the hot to show up in the shower or either of the sinks.

David
dmorse68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
ddubya

I have had a tankless in a previous home and it was very good. In the RV I like the fact that I don't have to use my propane when hooked up to power. We have never had an issue with lack of hot water and we have a clothes washer.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
porkchop

dmorse68 =They DO NOT provide instant hot water at the faucet. Nothing does. The water in the line between heater of any sort and faucet has to come out before hot can get there. Unless you plumb in a recirculating pump. That's fairly easy in a S&B but not so much in an rv.
I also would rather use the parks electricity and not my propane. Good luck on your choice.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
dmorse68

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
dmorse68 =They DO NOT provide instant hot water at the faucet. Nothing does. The water in the line between heater of any sort and faucet has to come out before hot can get there. Unless you plumb in a recirculating pump. That's fairly easy in a S&B but not so much in an rv.
I also would rather use the parks electricity and not my propane. Good luck on your choice.

Bill
Makes sense. Thank you for that.

David

dmorse68 is offline   Reply With Quote