Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
MTK46

Your Chevy ratings are close to the same as my 14 F-350. You shouldn't have any problem towing what ever 5th wheel you decide on. Good luck on you search.

2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2014 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dully
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:30 PM   #12
2MilitaryVet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Your Chevy ratings are close to the same as my 14 F-350. You shouldn't have any problem towing what ever 5th wheel you decide on. Good luck on you search.
Thanks for looking after this newbie Mike... I still have a lot to learn. Still looking for that great deal but my boss just threw a wrench into our plan. I am a contractor at the base and my boss just offered me a GS12 direct hire position. I will probably continue to look for my camper, sell the Florida house, keeping the San Antonio one as a rental and move the trailer and horses down to the base. Still not giving up on the camper life and will be on the road still within the next three years. Will live out of it until we leave.

Anthony

2MilitaryVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
MTK46

Anthony congratulations on the job. Keep us in the loop with any other questions you have on your 5th wheel search. Oh & what base are you referring to?
2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2014 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dully
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #14
2MilitaryVet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Anthony congratulations on the job. Keep us in the loop with any other questions you have on your 5th wheel search. Oh & what base are you referring to?
We are at Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach Fl
2MilitaryVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
OneReallyOldGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MilitaryVet View Post
We are at Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach Fl
Hey Anthony, thanks for your service. Your new job may be a blessing in disguise. Use those years to research, research, research. I took over a year to finally decide what to buy. Go beyond the floor plan. If youíre going to live in it be sure itís built to withstand daily use. Some manufacturers will not warranty their units for full time use. Thereís a red flag for ya!
Set your truck aside for awhile and start from the beginning. Look at motorhomes, travel trailers and fifth wheels before you count any of them out. And look from the bottom up. The frame, the chassis, the axles, the wall construction, the roof, the slides, the plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems. Go to shows and hang out in them. Imagine life in one. Will it bother you to look at a steering wheel every day? Can my wife and I bathe and get ready every day in this bathroom? Can I store everything I need and can I actually cook all my meals in this kitchen? etc.
Donít take the dealers word on anything. Pepper us with questions, ask other owners, etc. Go to RV parks and walk around. Ask anyone you see why they bought their rig and what they like about it. We love to talk about our houses on wheels.
One more thing. Donít exceed any of the manufacturers weight ratings. They are on there for a reason, safe operation of the vehicle.
Phil
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
bwaites

From an Air Force brat, thank you both for your service!! Sounds like your boss knows a good thing when he sees it!!!
bwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #17
cnacc

Cedar Creek Daydreamer 42í

Hi Anthony, first that you and your wife for you years of dedicated service to our Nation. I am a 72 year old Vietnam Veteran who served in the Marines as a crew chief on a Huey. I have read you pist and I just wanted to tell you as a owner of a 42 ft fifth wheel who has traveled a lot we seldom had problems finding parks that could not handle our size rv. We do use RV Park Reviews first to determine the type of facility we want to stay at.
At this time I have mine offered for-sale because we want to now do international travels. I have a link to my camper if youíre interested in looking at it and I can only tell you its like new and made with all solid maple cabinetry.
We still use it and are planning a trip down south bext month. You can e-mail me at cnacc@optonline.net and I can give you more detail about it and our travels with it.
Best regards
Charles
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/rvs/d/highland-42-fifth-wheel-luxury-camper/6784332826.html
cnacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #18
KBL

Anthony,
To you and your wife much thanks for your service, and well deserved retirement. And now on your new work position which is great to build up credits for the second retirement check, or in your case third.
San Antonio, is where I got out of the USAF in 1976 Randolph AFB.

Now I just bought our first 5th wheel after doing research, and shows for a couple years went with Forest River Silverback as it is only my wife and I we did not want extra bunks, so this will fit us very well big enough to live in short enough for a newbie to tow.

KBL is offline   Reply With Quote