Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
high cotton

convection oven

We have a 2010 Mobile Suite and I have questions about the GE Advantium. Profile 120. When I am cooking in the oven/bake mode can I use metal pans for my cakes ie like a bundt pan? Can I use stoneware like the kind that is sold by Pampered Chef? I realize that anything over 12" round in diameter will not move on the turntable. We love homemade pizza but my pizza pan is metal. Can I use it? I realize that on speedcook the halogen lights are used and they "conflict " with metal. I have the cookbook and I called GE but could not get an answer about using metal in the bake mode. What have other cooks been doing? I love to bake and our last 5th wheel had a convection oven that was great but I am unsure of what to use in this one. Please help if you have been baking in yours. thanks high cotton

Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
BlueSkyRanch

We also have a 2010 with the GE Convection Oven and this is our second rig with a Convection Microwave. When using Convection Bake, Roast or Fast Bake you can use metal or anything you like. When in Convection mode, it is just like an electric oven. Keep in mind that Convention Ovens bake things faster and you should turn the dish half way through the cooking time. We love it and will never go back to a regular oven.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
rdunk

Maybe GE has changed the Avantium oven since 2005, but the Avantium we had in our 2005 RE3 was not a "convection oven". It did (or could) cook faster, but not with convection (which I think is heated air). It of course had microwave, for microwaving. It had an electric heating element, for normal oven cooking, with metal or whatever. And it also had a 500 watt (I think) halogen lamp which provided additional heat for faster oven cooking, which we really didn't use much.

For oven cooking metal pans are fine. As a matter of fact, the instructions require the use of the provided round metal tray (and removal of the round glass plate) any time one uses the oven electric heating element.

FWIW!

Robert
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
BlueSkyRanch

A convection oven circulates the air providing even heat. I forgot to mention that you need to use the metal rack to elevate the food allowing heat to flow under the food as well. We love it.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
SuiteCook

We also have an Advantium 120 in our 2007 Suite. Mine has 3 different ways to cook. Microwave, Oven/Bake and Speedcook. The glass turntable is used for Microwave and like any microwave you should avoid metal cooking dishes. When using the Oven/Bake (Convection) I use the metal turntable and any cookware that would be used in a regular oven (both metal and glass). As mentioned earlier however the time and temperature should be less than a regualr oven because a fan moves the air around to bake more evenly.
The third cooking method is Speedcook. This is a combination of the first two. Microwaves cycle on and off with the Halogen bulbs so food cooks very quickly, but it also browns like in an oven. When using Speedcook you use the metal turntable and can bake right on the turntable or place an oven safe dish such as Pyrex or corningware on top of the turntable. The only metal bakeware that can be used with speecook is a 6 cup muffin pan. I love my Advantium and use it for everything as I do not have a gas oven.
SuiteCook is offline   Reply With Quote