Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
RickandJanice

Another Hehr Window Problem

Just this past week we had the dual pane crank out vent window on our rear picture window completely separate. I do not mean leak and fog up, they completely separated and the inside one is about to fall out. Contacted both Hehr and DRV. DRV responded with a form to fill out for a quote. Hehr responded with a request for measurements and then a quote to replace it. So it is apparent that both DRV and Hehr are no longer standing behind their windows after warranty. The first one we had problems with was just out of warranty and was replaced at no cost and both companies were very helpful and apologetic.

It is just a real shame that after all the problems everyone has had with these windows that neither DRV or Hehr is willing to fix the problem or cover the replacement beyond a standard 2 yr. warranty. They both know there is a problem!! The cost of this window is only $22.50 which is allot cheaper than bad P.R. Guess good customer service is no longer available at either company.

RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
Cheif 2

It is only the begining of the window problems you will have. I currently have four that need replacing and although Hehr provided the glass at their cost, by the time I had it shipped to Fla. it still was expensive. I will attempt to install them this winter when I return. I agree that with all the problems there are having with the glass they should be doing something more.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
BlueSkyRanch

In Feb 2010 I attended a seminar at Lazy Days in Florida concerning window fogging. Lazy Days purchased the equipment necessary to reseal existing windows and here is a link to some customer commnets.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=27479.0

When I was there, customers had very good things to say about their work.

Steve
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3
2010 F350 King Ranch
BlueSkyRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Charlie and Sue

Hehr windows

I've come to the realization that we will be stuck with inferior windows as long as we own these Mobile suites. To replace them with a better brand would be extremely costly, or should we just replace them with single panes and never have to replace them again with the same inferior window. Too bad we paid for dual pane and ended up with this mess. I have been satisfied with our unit other than this problem. Time for MS to step up and except responsibility for this. I wonder if the new units still have Hehr windows in them ? Don't think I'd buy another if so.

Charlie and Sue
Charlie and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
BlueSkyRanch

I have a 2010 MS (May 2010) and it does not have Hehr windows and I have a fogged window. I agree with you that "Time for MS to step up and except responsibility for this." I also think it's about time the entire industry and most importantly, the suppliers stepped up and made it right.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
BlueSkyRanch

What was the name of that movie with the famous line about the workplace, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore." I feel this applies to the RV industry and suppliers.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
porkchop

Let me see if I understand this correctly.
You have a unit going on 5 years old.
DRV has already supplied a new window after your unit was out of warranty
You want them to replace your windows now when it is going on 5 years old
DRV is neglant for not bowing down and kissing your feet & you will never buy another one of their products because of it

Me thinks DRV is better off without you and your kind. See ya
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
chevman

Tiffin has problems on their window sweating and friend with a country is have the same. He told me about a shop in Apache juntion AZ that fixes windows for $75.00 a window.
chevman
Old 09-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Charlie and Sue

Porky, take it easy, going on the third set of windows in five years, getting alittie tired of it, your time will come. It's like replacing a part on your truck knowing next year or so you'll have to do it again because it's a repeat problem. Not very satisfying, is it ? Cool down.

Charlie and Sue
Charlie and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
Let me see if I understand this correctly.
You have a unit going on 5 years old.
DRV has already supplied a new window after your unit was out of warranty
You want them to replace your windows now when it is going on 5 years old
DRV is neglant for not bowing down and kissing your feet & you will never buy another one of their products because of it

Me thinks DRV is better off without you and your kind. See ya
Porky,
Have you ever spent $100K for a RV that has the same recurring, pain in the ass problem? Or $100K for any RV?
No one asked anyone to kiss their feet! We just expect a accepable product for our $money$...
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
wingnut60
Site Team

windows

not sure why porkchop bothered to join just to put that answer in...
Wonder if he has a DRV product?
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
Motor31

Perhaps porkie is a DRV employee or dealer. We do know that the factory has monitored the forum for some time. There had been folks who worked for DRV (or MS back then) that were on the forum before.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
porkchop

I have my second DRV now. I will be in Howe Tuesday morning to order my third. The biggest problem I have EVER had is with the front jacks 2 years ago. Happened to be in Michigan and called the factory. They sent me to Goshin to see Lippert. They replaced one cylinder. Been happy as a lark every since. I have been reading this blog for a year. I have noticed it's the same bunch of cry babies complaining about stuff all of the time. Do you not realize you are dragging these things down some pretty crappy roads? If you're not happy buy a different brand. That's what I did. Wish you luck.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
wingnut60
Site Team

porkchop,
I really wasn't aware that DRV only made these trailers to be towed on glass-smooth pavement. And some of the complaints are coming from buyers of 2010 models who probably haven't had much time to tow them down some "pretty crappy roads."

Which of the DRV models do you have now and its age?

Joe
Old 09-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
porkchop

i currently have an 08 34SB3 that I have towed more than 60000 miles thru 49 states, most of Canada and a regretable portion of Mexico. I traded in a 06 38 for it in April 2008.
I did not say they were only made to go on smooth roads. I did mention that we have a bunch of crappy roads. and you have to consider that. A lot of the problems come from the roads, not the manufacture. I owned a trucking company for more than 40 years with almost 3 million personal road miles. I do know crappy roads.
I doubt that DRV's failure rate is any worse than any one else's. And I know it's better than the mass produced ones. And I have dealings with Paul Cross. I'm glad as hell he's no longer at DRV. Him being gone allows me to purchase another unit. I would not if he was still there.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #16
bstark

Well that did it! Up to that last bit about Paul Cross I was content to just sit and read and ignore, but what the **** gives you the right to slang someone who's name is not even on any of these posts? Good grief, man did you just throw that in 'cause he told you kinda the same thing you're saying about people on here?

Whew, I think we'd all be better off just ignoring what you have to say as it's kind of obvious you don't really give it a lot of thought before pushing the "submit" clicky.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
porkchop

Mainly because his name is used the same as God's on 50% of these posts. The vast magority of people who have delt with him do not agree. The moronic crap about having to run your new units thru his shop shows the lack of confidence in the dealers ability. My dealer in North Platte, NE is well qualified to do his own PDI. I will suggest the people arguing in favor of Paul doing all of the factory's work are getting compincated by him in some way.
I will post what ever I want, when I want. I am offering my personal opinion.. You do not have to read them and you do not need to agree. You want to keep making this personal, I'm up for it.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
terry and jo

Now, what did I do with those "Chill" pills.

As of yet, being a first time purchaser of a Mobile Suites and not having had the chance to take it anywhere, I have NOT experienced any of the window problems. That is not to say that I won't have problems, but I still feel the need to chime into this thread.

Being a resident of Oklahoma, I can certainly say that porkchop has a point about the roads and how much damage to a rig that roads can have a factor in. If any of you have ever driven across Oklahoma, I think you can also attest to the fact that we have bad roads.

Just because someone posted an opinion other than someone else about Paul Cross isn't reason enough to take offense. Having been in jobs where I dealt with the public on a daily basis, including working and managing a retail store, I can attest that not everyone will have the same opinion of the same individual. Each of you are entitled to your opinion, based upon your experience with said individual. Apparently, porkchop had a different experience than others.

Now, with all due respect, I find it hard to believe that people want a retailer to "stand beside" their product well beyond the warranty period. Each of us has had the opportunity to decline to buy a product, based upon what we have heard about that company. And, believe me, on Fifth Wheel Forums we do hear a lot of complaints.

In spite of those complaints that I have heard in the past, I still chose to buy a Mobile Suites. In spite of those complaints, I would do so again. Will I someday regret those last two statements? Perhaps. But, I hope to continue to have the sense to stand back and consider ALL factors, not just because I was inconvenienced or had a bad part of on overall good product.

I have asked this question once before, but I'll repeat it again. Given similar prices between manufacturer's products, would any of us buy a DRV Suites product again? I ask that because I have heard a number of owners say that they would buy another DRV, or that they already have bought another one, in spite of any problems that they had in the past. The serial number on my unit is #5332. So I can presume that more than that have been sold over the years, yet we seem to hear complaints from less than 5 percent of that number of customers.

From a retailer's standpoint, while 5 percent or less is still not good, it also isn't bad, especially considering the complexity of the products.

If I have thus offended anyone, I'm sorry. It was not my intent to do so.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #19
porkchop

Thank you Terry. That's the point I was trying to make. You said it a lot smoother.

Bill
Old 09-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #20
wingnut60
Site Team

At this point, porkchop certainly has the background to be a positive contributor to the forum discussions. A second-time owner, probably 65 or older and able to live comfortably, I gather from his reply. I would have accepted most of his comments at face value except for the strongly-worded way he put it, and with his lack of previous postings on the forum, it got my attention and I, too, felt like pushing back.

I have had little trouble with my 2nd-hand '05--the windows were replaced by Hehr recently without charge, but they sent no parts to space them vertically correct. Thus, I have an appt at DRV to re-glaze them soon. I also have an appt with Cross to do some mods to my kitchen counter that my wife wants to have done. So, guess I will find out first-hand about the service both DRV and Cross will provide.

But, it does seem that DRV has had its share of long-term recurring problems, maybe in reality probably no more than any other manufacturer.
The plastic elec/propane line supports for the slides come to mind--that should have been remedied the second year the complaints started coming in. Another is the "drop" by the hydraulic pump that happens every time I try to raise the front of the trailer. (on the fix list at DRV soon)--maybe they have been quick to fix/repair for some, but they don't seem to be proactive at changing known design faults...

As on most other forums, you hear most from the problems people have--we are not prone to just write a post telling what a wonderful unit we have. Keep up with any of the diesel forums to see what I refer to.

porkchop, hope you stay on and help all us make our trailers and DRV better.

Joe