Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
wingnut60
Site Team

replacing the windows

Finally got the large rear window done--thanks so much to Keith Andrew
(keithandpenne) for advice AND bringing me some shims that he had left over.
I am not quite done yet--the rear window still has a gap between the gasket and the glass area in spite of putting in 4 of the new lower shims. This gap may well have been there already, as I did not look closely before pulling out the gasket. Of all the larger windows, this one was barely in place--pushing outward took no effort to get it loose.

The crank-out portion of this window is also causing me a problem--it will not close without being pushed in from the outside. I have ground off some aluminum where I thought it might be binding, but still it will not close without an exterior push inward. Several of these crank-out units have been known to 'pop' close at some time after closing them with all the effort I could put into turning the knob--but this one will not close without a push. And it has a space at the lower left curve area even after being pushed close. It appears not to be "flat and square" and I am afraid to twist it as the frame is very soft and fragile. If I continue to have this problem after moving the trailer and bouncing it some, then I might just trade the glass pane into the old frame that fit somewhat better.

KEITH ASKED ME TO POST A NOTE THAT HE HAS A SOFA SIDE WINDOW AVAILABLE IS ANYONE NEEDS IT--it was sent extra when he did his replacements.

So far, I am very happy with the new visibility with the new units, just need to finish up some details. May have to wait til I see if there are any leaks driving thru rain, or any dust trails before I decide to remove and reseal/reshim some of the upper panes.

I have a lot of pics of some parts of the replacements--but all are in large MPixels--I could more easily email some of them if anyone is interested:

joejd at aol.com

I appreciate so much the help and advice I have gotten from members on this forum--it has helped me to save money and time. We really love our trailer and are focusing on keeping it usable for many more years.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
golf_bears

I'd be interested in your pictures. I need to replace the glass in my rear window. Replacement glass now sitting in garage at home.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Diesel-Gypsy

Yes, I too have a slew of'em to change.
My glass is sitting 450 miles south of where I am right now, but I'll get to them sooner or later.....

So, if you are e-mailing out pictures of a show & tell nature, I'd like to be on that list please.

Thanks,
Rick[/b]
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
edt

Send a message via AIM to edt
I had the same problem with just the single pane glass in the rear we put small pieces of plastic under the glass at the bottom. We had to shim it pretty close to at the bottom to get it to meet at the top.
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

windows

I have tried to get the pics sized do to email, not having much luck. Kind of technology-challenged, I am. Also having to deal with retirement issues to keep me occupied. But I'll keep at it to get them posted or other wise available.

But I believe that if I can get it done, anyone else should be able to. It's a one-person job except for pushing the old ones out, and on the big rear picture unit.

On another note of interest--I took all the old windows to a dumpster I have access to--you cannot believe how much abuse these will take without breaking!!! Note of them broke while being dropped several feet onto a steel floor. So, maybe your trailer will be in a hailstorm, but I'll bet the windows will survive.

Jow
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote