Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
BobW

Bad workmanship

Our lower drawer under the fridge was not staying closed. I pulled the drawer out and found the roller on the slide about to come off. Only 3 screws hold the hole thing together. Also the drawer slides were connected to a flat piece of plywood. The plywood was screwed to the back with one toenailed screw. Looks like a six year old put this together. Also behind the plywood was two electrical boxes. Nobody would ever know they were there unless they took the plywood off. Really bad workmanship. The plywood doesn't need to be tall enough to reach to the top. Just screw a 2x4 to the bottom to connect the slides to. Then you'll have access to the boxes. On the back of the drawer they used those little black door locks that I've gone through a dozen of. It broke and that was why the drawer wouldn't stay closed. :?

2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Gemstone

Aw Bob...you pickin' on those DRV "engineers" again ? How do you expect them to learn if you don't want to be a guinea pig ?

All kidding aside, that under fridge drawer installation is a classic!

Regards
Gemstone

Old 09-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Cheif 2

Amish craftsman. Sure!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Motor31

Welcome to the world of mobile suites / drv unit ownership.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Gemstone

In this case, I'm not sure I'd place the blame at the foot of the installer...he is merely following the plan as outlined by management, probably by someone with years of experience in the RV industry....perhaps even a trained engineer...who should know better.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 09-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
RickandJanice

I am not defending DRV or any other RV manufacturer, but I think we all need to realize that the RV and Mobile home industry has always revolved around cutting cost and weight. I personally feel that DRV makes one of the best 5th wheels on the market, but they do have a tendency to cut corners just like all of the RV manufacturers and this also shows insoem of the workmanship. Yes, this is disappointing, but considering the industry, somewhat expected. DRV has done allot over the few years they have been in business to make their units more serviceable and user friendly but at the same time, they have cut cost in some other areas to keep them affordable. I do wish DRV look closer at the workmanship on the factory floor because this could resolve allot of the issues we all find aggravating. That said, we are still very happy with our unit and plan on keeping it for a long time. Besides, most of the workmanship related issues have been worked out so why start over again!
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone
In this case, I'm not sure I'd place the blame at the foot of the installer...he is merely following the plan as outlined by management, probably by someone with years of experience in the RV industry....perhaps even a trained engineer...who should know better.

Regards
Gemstone
Really. How about all the screws that they cranked down too much, broke off the heads and simply glued the heads back in place to make it look good to the poor buyer. I don't think management told the guys on the line to glue back any screw heads.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
Old 09-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Gemstone

Hey now, that's a horse of a different color...we were talking about the drawer. I had plenty of those screws on my rig, and they were indeed the fault of the installer, no doubt about it. I'm mad now tho', sounds like you at least got glue....all I got was a dab of caulking!

Regards
Gemstone
Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone
Hey now, that's a horse of a different color...we were talking about the drawer. I had plenty of those screws on my rig, and they were indeed the fault of the installer, no doubt about it. I'm mad now tho', sounds like you at least got glue....all I got was a dab of caulking!

Regards
Gemstone
Caulking is what I meant. At least I'm not the only one.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Motor31

Nope you aren't the only one by a long shot unfortunately. I have changed my opinion about "Amish craftsmanship". I have told folks after the experience I have had with this rig that were I to get a stick house and the builder said he was using "Amish craftsmen" to construct it that I would fire the builder on the spot.

FWIW I have very few of the original drawer rollers in the rig at this time. I have been replacing them as soon as I see little silver ball bearings on the floor near any of them. I have yet to replace one that I redid with a hardware store replacement set.

I don't even want to talk about my opinion for how they "anchored" some of those original drawer track sets.

I have also had to redo the closet full length shelf on the kitchen side last month. They used a single (1) screw to hold up the shelf where it comes in contact with the frame next to the sliding door. The original small diameter screw sheared allowing the shelf to sag towards the sliding door. It let our "stuff" on the shelf slide forward blocking the door so it was very hard to get it open to see what the problem was.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
hitchup

"Amish Craftsmanship"

Gee David always blamed me for the drawer not staying closed in our 2006 Elite. It was so deep, I would put all the misc tools in there. Flashlight, hammer, shears, screwdrivers, tape measures, etc.

The Mobile Suite's is about half the size, so can only fit in half the weight.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
BobW

If the drawers don't stay closed, check the bottom of the drawer. There is a push latch under all the drawers. I have broken 12 of these. There the same ones as are on the cabinet doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchup
"Amish Craftsmanship"

Gee David always blamed me for the drawer not staying closed in our 2006 Elite. It was so deep, I would put all the misc tools in there. Flashlight, hammer, shears, screwdrivers, tape measures, etc.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Gemstone

I just bought some of just the "male" portion of the "Southco "J" latch....the piece that usually breaks....from nwrvsupply.com in Eugene....think I paid $2.00 a piece. They stock the large size and a small size, DRV uses the small size (naturally), however the large size is stouter, and will work, you just need new mounting holes. Northwest RV Surplus and Supply 541 746 9092. If you are traveling through, they are easy to find, on the east frontage road of I-5 in Eugene...being a surplus outlet, there is no telling what you'll find.

In case they won't ship, and if anyone wants a handful, I can pick 'em up next time I'm in town and ship 'em to you for cost plus postage.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
rotaxman

Worksmanship

Yep I've had all of those same problems on both of my Mobile Suites. The junk 2009 by far being a much much worse trailer than the 06.

No engineering talent what so ever this junk 09 I have was a build out trailer so it had every short cut you can take used on it construction. Add the fact that all of those short cuts are setting on a defective frame I pretty much have junk.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750