Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
twotravelers

Batteries

We have a 2015 Mobile Suites with hydraulic auto-leveling. Inside the control box for the leveling, there is a button to pull out labeled "Battery Disconnect. In for storage. Out for use only." We thought that only applied to using the hydraulic leveling. Two months ago, when we were ready to hitch up and travel after having the MS plugged in for five months, the batteries were dead and we couldn't raise the RV.
CoachNet led us through some diagnostics and said the batteries weren't being charged when the trailer was plugged in to shore power! We pulled out the switch to the "in use" position, let the batteries charge for 30 minutes and we were ready to go. OK, we can work around that.
Yesterday, here in Gallup, NM, the power in our park went out. Then we discovered we had no 12-volt power to operate the propane refrigerator or hot water heater or lights. That seems to mean we have to unlock and open the door to the hydraulic leving system to use 12-volt power. This doesn't make sense. Any advice? Similar experiences?

twotravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
retired in utah

That switch isolates the battery. If not on, there will be no 12 volt power. Unless I am pulling out the battery, I leave the switch on. I have also had the same experience with no power and realized I had turned the switch off.

retired in utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Army Guy

I leave mine on all the time also. I had a scare not long ago when I went to bring in my slides and they would not move. My battery disconnect is located in the side compartment where my landing gear switch is and must of been pushed in - easy fix once I found it.

Seeing the country we Defend.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
twotravelers

We'll try it

We thought that closing and locking the door on the controls for the leveling system pushed the switch in. We'll have to see if it will stay on with the compartment closed. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
porkchop

Closing the door does not push the switch in. The only time you want to push it in is if you are leaving it sit in storage without power pluged in. If you do not push it in then, the co2 detector and other parasitic draws will run the batteries down. By the way, at least on my unit, the landing gear will still work with the switch pushed in.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

Leave the switch on all the time--way less hassles that way. And, yes, the hydraulics should still work with the switch off if the batteries are good.
By now, you may have hurt the batteries by draining them completely. I would check them for charge level and also load capacity.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
twotravelers

Battery disconnect switch

Thanks for the replies. However, when we close the compartment door on our rig, the battery button is pushed in. Here are pictures of it in and out. We tried twice to close the door with the button out and each time when we opened it again, it was pushed in--off.

Any other suggestions?

Old 05-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
twotravelers

Problem Solved

Today, my husband removed the front panel of the hydraulic controls, then loosened the two rings that hold the battery connect switch. By adjusting the position of that switch, we can now leave the batteries on with the compartment door closed and locked. Obviously, our switch was not installed quite right.
Thanks for all your comments.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Interesting--only time I have heard of this problem. Great that you found an easy solution.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12-volt power, batteries, charging