Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Bernd & Susan

Bedroom Slide is tilted and stuck

I need help again, this time with the bedroom slide (2007 Mobil Suites, 36 SB3). We got ready this morning to finally hit the road for our maiden journey, when the bedroom slide jammed and couldn't be retracted. The problem appears to be that the entire slide is tilted on the top toward the nose of the 5th wheel, that is, the slide is stuck on the top left corner (when looking from the outside). I'm attaching 2 photos that show the gap between the slide and the frame on the top right corner (wide gap) and top left corner (zero gap). It turns out that the lower left corner of the slide is about 3/8 of an inch lower than the right corner. Has anybody tried to make adjustments of that kind to the slide, or is this really something only a professional can/should do? Mobile mechanics are pretty much booked out in my area (Austin, TX) right now, with waiting times in excess of 1 week.

Bernd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide Top Right.jpg (66.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Slide Top Left.jpg (119.7 KB, 16 views)

Bernd & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
golf_bears

Looks like the hydraulic cylinder is pulling trying to close the slide on one end. The other end is controlled with a rack and pinion gear system. The pinion gear is attached to a common drive shaft between the right and left sides. My guess is the pinion gear is stripped or the retaining pin for the "gear to the shaft" has broken.

If so, not an easy fix but can be done if you have the right tools.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
golf_bears

Another possibility is that the bracket bolts at the bottom left corner of the slide (where the rack is attached) have come loose. This would let the slide drop on the left side.

I ran into this years ago. Reset the slide height (vertical screw) then tighten the bracket screws.

You need to get under the slide to see what I'm talking about.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
golf_bears

Ooops, disregard my last two post. You're talking about the bedroom slide. Thought you were talking about the dinette slide, sorry. Another senior moment and it's only the 2nd of Jan. Doesn't look good for this new year!!!
Old 01-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd & Susan View Post
I need help again, this time with the bedroom slide (2007 Mobil Suites, 36 SB3). We got ready this morning to finally hit the road for our maiden journey, when the bedroom slide jammed and couldn't be retracted. The problem appears to be that the entire slide is tilted on the top toward the nose of the 5th wheel, that is, the slide is stuck on the top left corner (when looking from the outside). I'm attaching 2 photos that show the gap between the slide and the frame on the top right corner (wide gap) and top left corner (zero gap). It turns out that the lower left corner of the slide is about 3/8 of an inch lower than the right corner. Has anybody tried to make adjustments of that kind to the slide, or is this really something only a professional can/should do? Mobile mechanics are pretty much booked out in my area (Austin, TX) right now, with waiting times in excess of 1 week.

Bernd
Look in the bedroom for any items that might be lodged in the slide...i.e.slippers, rug, clothing... Just a suggestion.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Cummins12V98

The bedroom slide of that era is a challenge to get working properly. For one the bracket that is visible outside that is lag bolted to the bottom of the slide has been upgraded and would be a good start replacing it. DRV can send you one. Both sides of the slide are controlled by hydraulic rams and can be a bugger to get adjusted. I can't tell you how to do it. If you are mechanically inclined just dig in if not I am sure someone can recommend a good shop to help.

The suggestion to check for something wedged is a good one. I would look at next to the bed at the front of the slide.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
Bernd & Susan

Thanks everybody for your advice and suggestions. I have a professional coming by in a few days to work on the problem.

There's definitely a problem with the lag bolts, as rust marks indicate that the slide has moved from a previous position. I took some measurements, which showed that the right lower corner of the slide (when looking from the outside of the RV) is about 2 inches further out than the lower left corner. In addition, the right side is about 3/8 of an inch higher than the left side. The bummer is, however, that the upper left corner is wedged hard against the frame, such creating a hard bind. In other words, the slide is not only tilted on the top toward the nose of the 5th wheel, it is also slightly rotated.

I will post to this thread once the problem has been solved.
Bernd & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
terry and jo

Since yours appears to be a side-bathroom unit, it may be like the newer ones with two hydraulic rams, but with a "flow-diverter" in the hydraulic system for the bedroom slide. If that is the case, we were told that when operating the bedroom slide to either put it out or bring it back in, that one needs to let the slide go the full distance to open or closed without stopping the slide.

Supposedly, the flow diverter can be "messed up" by stopping in mid-stroke. If that is the case, I'm not sure what one could do to get things right again.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
Camr

In order for the slide "box" to twist front to back, the floor of the slide would have to be lower at the front (pin box) end than the rear. Can you look under the slide to see if perhaps one of the rollers at the front end is missing? Or perhaps something wedged at the rear that would make the rear of the slide higher than the front. Judging by the photos, which can often be misleading, the only way to make the top edge of the front slide wall touch the wall opening would be to somehow twist the slide box counter clockwise.
2015 MS 38RSB3 #7272
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

Bernd,
Ever get the slide fixed? My '05 has 2 teflon blocks near the outer wall that the entire slide unit moves on--couple years ago, one on those blocks came loose and required it to be replaced. Maybe that is the problem.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide adjustment, slide stuck, slide tilted