Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
Trimmy

A/C Replacement

I have a 2004 Crossroad Crusier 28BH I recently purchased off a buddy for $4800. It is in really good shape but had a few small odds and ends that needed fixed and upgraded which I have completed for about $500. We were getting ready for our second trip out with the 5th wheel tonight and I plugged it into a 30amp dedicated line installed for this camper in my barn. While working in it, it kept popping the 20 amp breaker for the A/C Unit. It starts up and runs but after about 5 minutes its pops the breaker in the camper. It has always been louder than I thought it should be. At this point I think I just want to completely replace the unit. The only thing I can find on it is that I have a Suburban SF30 Furnace. It says nothing about the A/C. Are these A/c and furnaces all in one or do they run seperate?

My wife and I are looking for a 10-20 acre piece of land to build a house on. We plan to sell our house and use the profit we make to build our house and barn. We plan to be debt free in 5ish year including a mortgage so we can enjoy our babies and life. This camper is what we plan to live in during that time so I want to fix everything and do it right.

Any help is appreciated. This is my first big camper and I don't know much about the mechanicals. I was a very good mechanic for about four years but moved onto something that's easier on my body so I have no issue jumping into anything.

Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

The AC and the furnace should be separate items, but may both be controlled by same thermostat. Probably need to go up on roof and take the plastic cover off the unit (should be easy, 4 screws at corners) and get info off a tag somewhere on the unit. You might take this time to check if everything looks ok visually and clean any debris out. Also check to see if fan spins freely. May also be some model info inside the plastic housing on the ceiling inside if you take it off. Usually, the hardest part of replacing an RV AC is getting it up on top and the old one off. But, check things out for problems on top before arbitrarily replacing it, only to find it still pops the breaker.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
Trimmy

Thanks for the advice wingnut. I should have mentioned in the previous post that I had pulled it apart a few weeks ago. I looked everything over and blew out the condenser and cleaned the filter inside. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. The fan spun fine. No build up of any kind I saw.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Beyond my ideas, call a mobile tech? Take it to an RV shop? Find the brand/model and look up the tech manual online?
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
pterrydactyl

Flip all the breakers off then turn on the 1 breaker that( you think or by label)
controls the AC. See if the AC will run but just beware that the Amp draw on the 15 yo unit might be why the breaker trips on a house 29A circuit.. Also check the cord for heating up due to the current draw.
A problem is bugging me as my 1999 fivers furnace ran off 12 volt. My 2016 does also. Am I missing something. This topic is discussed frequently on Facebooks “RV Electricity”. If you need further help check there and ask. Mike Sokol and others are also, like here, very helpful.
pterrydactyl is offline   Reply With Quote