Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
berghild424

AC and low hanging wires

Well, another disaster for this year.
Yesterday we were approaching the entrance/office to Gentiles campground in Plymouth, Ct. when we heard a loud crash. the front ac cover had been ripped off by a low electrical wire, and also parts of the AC were still connected but dangling.
The owners response was that no other rigs had hit it. Well obviously they have had some weather since any other tall rigs have some in. We had just cleared some low bridges...I think 13'6"..and I thought we are 12'6".
Who's liable in this situation. They certainly didn't jump right in and offer to turn it in to their insurance. It's going to be 90 and humid by the weekend.
I didn't cause a fuss...but darn it I don't think we should have to measure the entrance. Low hanging branches we are always watching for though.
any input from you would be apreciated.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
golf_bears

If you are sure about your height while towing I would ask to speak with the campground owners. Once in contact with them I would discuss the situation and then ask them to cover the expenses through their insurance.

Be nice, it never hurts to ask politely about these types of situations.

Obviously there is some liability on their part with respect to the low wires and no signs indicating the problem. Why would anyone go into that RV Park knowing about low wires?

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
RonS

Ask them where to send repair bill and see what they have to say. If also covered by your insurance see if they would at least pay the deductable.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
2blackdogs

It depends on the amount but your insurance company might go after their insurance company.
Trailer Saver hitch
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST
2blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
berghild424

ac

The replyfrom the owners was that they have no insurance, its not their problem and we almost tore downthe wires, andno one else has ever hit it in 40 years.
We went. To take pictures and one of the poles is leaning, causing the line to droop. They hd bad storms last fall and winter so this could be what happened to the pole.
We also discovered that we bottommed out coming in and there are several ouges in the pavement at the entrance.
We are leaving today an I am praying we can get out without mishap.
Also discovered a sign that they aren't responsible for accidents, injury or theft..that in was after the entrance.
What a goat ranch! No offense meant to ny goat ranchers out there.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Motorcycle Jack

I think I would get a hold of your insurance adjuster and let him know what is going on. I think he might want to do an inspection and get the insurance companies lawyers involved. It really doesn't matter whether the campground has insurance or not, whether they post a sign saying no responsible for anything, - THEY ARE. So let the insurance companies fight it out. Not your battle! Just get an adjuster involved, get your A/C fixed and the rest will take care of it's self. But call out an adjuster and explain what happened to him.
Motorcycle Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
jdwilson3

Might not be a bad idea to post a location for future reference...town name not necessarily park name. NO INSURANCE?????
Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
porkchop

The NEC (national electric code) requires wires where large vehicles "may" travel to be a minimum of 20' above the roadway. How does the state allow a business to operate without insurance? I think he's scamming you.
Good luck. Don't give up. Hound him!!

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Pat L.

NEC 20' Hot leg then drops down to cable TV as the bottom wire must be 13'6" min. Standard Code Compliance is anything under 13'6" must be marked. Hell - garbage trucks are 13'.
Like others have stated: Call your insurance company.
Pat
Pat L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
hitchup

I've never heard of any business that's not required to carry Insurance. Especially in a state like Connecticut.

But it sounds like they could care less about their customers and not a great place to stay.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
berghild424

ac update

the adjuster is here now but he wasn't authorized to take pics at the other campground....we did take pics though. I am waiting to hear from Nationwide to have him go and measure the height of the wire
I also heard from greg vaughn and he needs all the numbers since they are not using those units anymore. and he wasn't familiar with the color it should be painted. I guess they will figure that out.
I am thinking of filing in small claims before we leave here on Monday (returning to New Hampshire) and hope for a date in October for an appearance....hopefully we can get that done or get some resolution before we leave the East coast.
The unit is somewhere in the vicinity of $1600.00...I'm not sure if that included painting or not. plus shipping and then whatever the charge is for labor to remove the old and install the new. I don't want it going on our insurance as a collision or having our rates go up.
boy, I keep taking a deep breath but I am really on edge.
cyndy