Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #1
Joezilla

Total front jack failure!!

On our 2016 MS Atlanta, we just last week experienced total front jack failure. The rig was almost on it's nose. I was able to get it up by turning on the leveling system and punching the front button. I got it high enough that we could get it on the truck. Then I raised the jacks as high as I could and built platforms underneath each one with concrete blocks and wood. We are still headed downhill by a couple of inches though, but could not get it any higher with the jacks and still be able to build said platform underneath them.

I texted my dealer, Slade at Rolling Retreats. He said he could replace them with the same style jacks we had if we could drag it to him. He said however, that they would eventually fail also. He suggested calling DRV and Lippert and see if they would help.

Debbie sent Greg Wheldon at DRV an email that same Sunday and Greg responded early Monday morning. Greg basically said that since we were out of warranty there was nothing DRV would do. He said to call Lippert.

Debbie started calling Lippert later that Monday morning. She talked to a guy that was basically no help to start with. He said that the jacks needed to be tested to see if they were bad. She responded that since the rig was on it's nose, there did not need to be any such test.

He then said that they would replace the front jacks with the same style we have on it now, and we would have to pay for the jacks, the labor, and all associated shop costs.

The more Debbie countered with information about these jacks being a known problem, the more he began to backtrack from that position. He finally said they would replace with the newer style jacks, and Lippert would pay for the jacks,but we would be responsible for the labor and shop costs. When she asked how much the labor would be, he excused himself from the call to go find out. When he came back he stated that Lippert would cover the cost of the new style jacks, the labor and any shop fees.

So we got the soonest 2 day appointment they had which was June 24 & 25. We are in Iowa and will leave for Goshen, IA on Sunday the 23rd and drive the 425 miles to Goshen that day and be ready to drop off the rig at the Lippert factory at 7:00 a.m. on the 24th. The guy did say that it usually takes a day and a half to make the switch.

Here's hoping that all goes well and by next Tuesday afternoon we have fully functioning front jacks.

Now my only concern is what to do to keep the jacks from dropping during the travel day to Goshen. Any ideas guys?

Joe

Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
Notanlines

Joe, remember man's best friend? Duct tape, particularly Gorilla tape.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
oldbird

This hasn't happened to me so I don't know what I'm talking about but I would try some of those heavy duty truckers racket straps. Make a big loop, under the jacks and up and around the top of the cap. Just talking out loud, lol.
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
golf_bears

I had a leaking front jack cylinder to deal with this winter. I had to travel from TX to SD then to WI this spring. The jack was not dropping but I had to be ready with a fix if it did while I traveled. I bought two small C clamps and was prepared to clamp them to the jack pad and either rope or strap them through the basement doors. I think it would of worked but didn't need to do so because the jacks did not drop down during my travels.

Got to Lippert last week and they replaced the leaking jack at no cost to me. Hoping no more leaking jack problems.

Hope this suggestion is helpful for you. Save travels.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
Joezilla

I may give that a try. Thanks GB.

Joe
Old 06-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Dapperdan

Joe, last June when we were at Lippert for our jack replacement we were told it would take a day and a half to two days, plan accordingly. We were shocked when we checked later on in the afternoon as to the progress to find out they were almost finished! In at 7:00, out by 3:30!! YMMV

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapperdan View Post
Joe, last June when we were at Lippert for our jack replacement we were told it would take a day and a half to two days, plan accordingly. We were shocked when we checked later on in the afternoon as to the progress to find out they were almost finished! In at 7:00, out by 3:30!! YMMV

Dan
We dropped it off at 7:00 a.m. this morning, but got no call to say they were finished today. We will go by there in the morning and check.

Joe
Old 06-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #8
dmorse68

I like the clamp idea. Smart solution. I have a 2018 36’ DRV with hydraulic fluid leaking from the DS front landing gear (inside the basement). Been full timing in the unit since we first took delivery of it last October. We’ve been putting off bringing it to the dealer for the warranty repair because it is our home, and the first time we brought it in for repairs, they had it for weeks and did a very poor job addressing the laundry-list of items we found wrong with the unit from the beginning. Looking for a better solution for the landing gear fix. Any ideas or thoughts welcomed.

David
dmorse68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #9
Joezilla

I ended up putting a screw through the black casing and the inner and outer jack sleeves. That held them up for the trip with no problem.

We dropped it off at 7:00 a.m. and they called us at 9:00 a.m. the next morning to say it was ready. The new jacks are definitely more robust. They take longer to extend and retract, but I don't care as long at they are reliable.

They have a shorter stroke than the previous jacks, the installer told me, so he dropped them three inches because of that.

Totally happy with the entire Lippert process.

Joe
Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

Glad to hear that. Currently in process of setting up appointment to have same done to my '15--so far, complete cooperation from Lippert.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
Dapperdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post
I ended up putting a screw through the black casing and the inner and outer jack sleeves. That held them up for the trip with no problem.

We dropped it off at 7:00 a.m. and they called us at 9:00 a.m. the next morning to say it was ready. The new jacks are definitely more robust. They take longer to extend and retract, but I don't care as long at they are reliable.

They have a shorter stroke than the previous jacks, the installer told me, so he dropped them three inches because of that.

Joe
Joe, it's been a year since our new jacks were installed, ZERO problems with the new jacks!!!! The stroke is shorter and it DOES take a little longer for extension or retraction but like you I don't really care! NO more problems.

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
wingnut60
Site Team

Joe,
Where did you stay while the Suites was in their shop? Might not be needed, but options always nice.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post

Joe
You can take comfort in knowing it isn't just the older models with the sleeved jacks.

Our 2019 39DBR has jack, leveling, pump and slide issues.

The pump really makes a racket at times.
The jacks will retract at times when moving the slides out - that's exciting.
The trailer bounces about as much as my previous 5th wheel did before levelup was installed. I think the rear most jacks are too close to the center jacks.

And the jacks leak down.

The pictures are two days after auto leveling. When I applied the tape i left a just visible gap on the ram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lippert_jack_leaks_1.jpg (291.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Lippert_jack_leaks_2.jpg (117.1 KB, 10 views)
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #14
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Joe,
Where did you stay while the Suites was in their shop? Might not be needed, but options always nice.
Thanks,
Joe
Joe,

We stayed at the Super 8 in Shipshewana. We could have stayed in Goshen or Elkhart, but are more familiar with Shipshi.

Joe
Old 07-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
wingnut60
Site Team

Thanks. I have appt for 9/4-5 for my jack work.
Joe
Old 08-28-2018, 11:38 PM   #16
Jack in Alaska

I have been out of the MS business for 4 yrs but I still enjoy the posts from some of the regulars.
I had MS #1051 (no hydraulics) for 9 yrs. and loved it.
Enjoy your rigs and if ever up here in Alaska stop by for a visit

Jack in Alaska

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote