Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Mike2338

Pulling cable from roof...routing?

I want to add a Wifi extender to the roof of my 2011, 38RSSB3 but not sure how to route the cable.

I have a satellite dish mounted on the roof and the cables were routed through the vent cap(I know it is not a vent just an access) on the door side over the bath. I was expecting a conduit that I could just push an additional cable through but instead all I see is roof insulation. I do not think I can fish the cable from there to the utility cabinet.

Has anyone else mounted exterior Wifi antenna? How did you route the cable?

I know someone must have figured this out by now!

m

Mike2338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
Chad Heiser

I have not routed WiFi cables, but I have routed wire for solar panels. I have done it two different ways.

1. Find an actual vent pipe and remove the cap. You might get lucky and be able to push cables down along side the vent pipe (unlikely, but maybe). More likely is run the wires down inside the vent pipe. Find the other end of the vent pipe in the belly of your trailer. Drill an appropriate sized hole at roof level into the side of the vent pipe. Drill an appropriate sized hole at the other end of the vent pipe in the belly and fish the wires. Cut a notch in the vent pipe cover for your wires (the hole and notch should face rearward). Reinstall vent cover and seal with Dicor. At the bottom of the pipe, seal the opening around the wires with silicone.

2. If your refer is not in a slide, there is usually a gap behind the rear of the refer and the outside wall. Measure carefully and drill a hole in the roof that will come through behind the refer. Fish wires down behind refer to wherever they are needed. Use cable entry cover on roof, facing rearward to cover cables and hole. Seal cover and hole with Dicor.

Chad Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Walt

DRV mounted my Wifi antenna on the roof of the rear cap just to the side of the ladder and ran the wire to the entertainment center.
2019 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #396674
2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 DRW 4WD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Mtntrek

We had DRV run an additional RG-6 coax & a cat-5 from the controls cabinet to the stack vent where the solar wiring is, (supposed to be, haven't used them yet).
Ironically the WiFiRanger has had power circuit issues from the switch up.

Be well.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
Mike2338

Thank You Chad!
I was able to push the cable I needed down through the vent pipe today. Worked perfectly. I would not have considered it unless you had told me.

Thanks again!

m
Mike2338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #6
Chad Heiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2338 View Post
Thank You Chad!
I was able to push the cable I needed down through the vent pipe today. Worked perfectly. I would not have considered it unless you had told me.

Thanks again!

m
Glad it worked out for you.

Chad Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote