Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
CALinSC

Our Version

What is a “full timer”? If you live in an RV but never move it does it make you a “full timer”, or just someone that lives in a smallish dwelling that just happens to be an RV? Are you a “full timer” if you travel to a stationary RV for the winter months and then to another stationary RV for the summer months? Can you have a stick home and be a “full timer? Maybe that’s a limited “full timer”.

I point this out because it’s always a bit confusing when someone says they are a “full timer” without describing what that means to them.

During the years we called ourselves “full timers” our RV trailer was our only home. We were constantly moving around the country, probably averaging 35-50 RV park/campground parking places per year. Our only means of transportation was our big dully truck. (My little one person fishing boat does not count). We were retired and traveling on our fixed retirement income. (Without an agenda).

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=14112

Old 07-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Bikersarge

I would say a full timer is someone who moves often around the us and travels permanently...that would be the best type IMO.

2017 GMC Sierra/ Duramax. 2013 FR 32SRV
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
CALinSC

Water

This thread has a lot of hits with almost no comments. I' going to use this thread to take a peak at some of the water we've seen during our full time travels.

I'll start in Maine, my home state.

Crossing the Penobscot River, Bucksport, ME.

1 US1 Wells to Trenton, ME (49).jpg

The picture has a pretty good clue as to why Maine is called the Pine Tree state.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:41 AM   #4
Notanlines

Many RV'ers refer to themselves as 'full timers' but are not necessarily to the remainder of the community. Although we live in ours full time we aren't full timers in that we still have our home in Germantown. We 'live' in Florida from December to the first of May. We then travel for a period of time, stay stationary in Wisconsin for two months, and then travel some until December again.
In my mind, full timers don't still own their brick and stick. Everyone will have their own idea of 'full timing.'
Along the same lines, many people believe they can buy the little 'state sticker' for their travel map if they've driven through the state. We always believed it was necessary to actually spend the night to buy the sticker. Yes, we have filled the map (our dachshund had been in 49 states AND all provinces except Nunavut) and then some. But we still have not travelled to Nunavut and have no immediate plans.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
CALinSC

Water #2

The water shown behind our rig is part of a large chain of lakes. They provide some of the best freshwater fishing in AL.

Being close to the Talladaga NASCAR race track causes this RV park (At Cropwell, AL) to be full anytime there is a racing weekend at Talladaga.

2 Cropwell, AL .jpg
Old 08-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #6
CALinSC

Massena, NY

When traveling north along the St. Lawrence River on NY highway 37, we found Coles Creek, SP. The sites there were large and many bordered the water. We had a nice large one.

Whenever we park close to water I test for fish. Sure enough, while jigging around the rocky banks with a small black crappie jig I found lots of small ones. I’m sure the river holds monsters of numerous kinds.

3 NY Coles Creek SP on the St. Lawrence River - 3.JPG 3a NY Coles Creek SP on the St. Lawrence River - 16.JPG

3b NY Coles Creek SP (4).jpg 3c NY Coles Creek SP (6).jpg
Old 10-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #7
CALinSC

Lake Ontario from the Brennan Beach RV Resort, NY

4 Lake Ontario from Brennan Beach, NY - 5.jpg 4a Sunset on Lake Ontarofrom Brennan Beach, NY.JPG
Old 01-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #8
CALinSC

Marinna, FL

I think the first thing I learned as a child; was how to catch fish, any kind. From then on everywhere I traveled I would find a place to fish. It was pretty easy to do while in the USN because we always lived near some kind of water. We lived in FL for 23 years before going full time RVing. There is lots of water throughout FL, with some providing a chance to set a new state record for some species.

I always carried an electric trolling motor in the RV. Many of the places we parked at had some good fishing waters nearby. They often had small rental Jon-boats Available. In the later traveling years, I got a roof top carrier for a small Walker Bay boat.

This was an early springtime stop at the Arrowhead RV Park at Marinna, FL, just off US-90. The RV Park is situated on the southern end of Merritt’s Mill Pond, a clear water pond that, in the past, had held the state record for redear sunfish. There are also 10# plus black bass there. However, I was after Black Crappie, the best eating of them all and nice sized when you could find them.

5 Arrowhead RV Park Marianna FL 1.JPG 5a Arrowhead RV Park Marianna FL 5.jpg

5b Arrowhead RV Park Marianna FL 6.JPG 5c Walker Bay 1.jpg

5d crappie[1].jpg
Old 02-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #9
CALinSC

Colorado River

As it snakes its way through AZ it shrinks down to a trickle by the time it passes the Yuma Prison and enters Mexico.

PIX #1: Laughlin, NV seen across the Colorado River from Bull Head City, AZ.

6 Colorado River from Bullhead City, AZ .JPG

PIX #2: Crossing the Colorado River at Parker, AZ.

6a Colorado River - Parker, .jpg

PIX #3: A RV camping area on federal land in CA from across the Colorado River at the Martinez Lake area, AZ.

6b Colorado Boat Tour - 8 .JPG

PIX #4: Taken from the Yuma Prison, AZ compound, showing what little is left of the Colorado River for the Mexicans.

6c Yuma Prison 1h .jpg
Old 02-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #10
mrtazz57@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALinSC View Post
Colorado River

As it snakes its way through AZ it shrinks down to a trickle by the time it passes the Yuma Prison and enters Mexico.

PIX #1: Laughlin, NV seen across the Colorado River from Bull Head City, AZ.

Attachment 1947

PIX #2: Crossing the Colorado River at Parker, AZ.

Attachment 1948

PIX #3: A RV camping area on federal land in CA from across the Colorado River at the Martinez Lake area, AZ.

Attachment 1949

PIX #4: Taken from the Yuma Prison, AZ compound, showing what little is left of the Colorado River for the Mexicans.

Attachment 1950
Not much water around those piers and docks.
mrtazz57@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:19 AM   #11
CALinSC

Myrtle Beach SP, SC

There are great sandy beaches at this SP. There are restrooms with warm water for showering at the beach areas and throughout the RV parking areas. It also has a large/long fishing pier. The pier facility has a sit-down snack shop, trinket sales, and fresh fishing baits. There is a well-stocked, centrally located camp store. Our rig is 53’ when connected and we had no problem finding a site where it would fit.

7 Myrtle Beach SP .jpg 7a Myrtle Bch .JPG

7b Myrtle Beach 1.JPG 7c MyrtleBch .jpg

7d MyrtleBch .JPG
Old 02-20-2022, 10:34 AM   #12
CALinSC

Wells Beach, ME

While I was growing-up in Maine, Wells Beach was the nearest beach and our summer hang-out. I would walk/hitch-hike to the beach and set pins (candlestick) at the recreation area. Sometimes on the walk back to US-1 I’d stop at Billy’s Chowder House on the causeway, go to the back door and ask for lobster bodies (no cost). Tourists didn’t eat from them, and we would sometimes get them while they were still warm.

During this trip to ME we were parked at Walnut Grove CG at Alfred, ME. It’s a nice clean family CG and 50 AMP FHU grassy sites. In the picture we were still setting-up for our stay.

The summertime, Atlantic waters are cold but not as cold as the Pacific west coast waters. ME coastal waters get some warmth from the Gulf Stream

9 .jpg 9a Wells Beach, ME (12).jpg

9b Wells Beach, ME (3).jpg 9c Wells Beach, ME (1).jpg

9d Wells Beach, ME - (48).jpg
Old 02-21-2022, 05:05 AM   #13
Notanlines

Cal, Billy's is still there, but the prices are so far out of the norm that we probably won't go back. The clam chowder was good, but the seafood stew was about $25.00 a bowl. This was about four years ago so it might be higher now.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:15 AM   #14
CALinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Cal, Billy's is still there, but the prices are so far out of the norm that we probably won't go back. The clam chowder was good, but the seafood stew was about $25.00 a bowl. This was about four years ago so it might be higher now.
Eating seafood in Maine is much less expensive when going to out of the way local eateries. Normally their lobster will be half price from established named restaurants. Why? Because they have single claw lobsters which are generally not acceptable by the more popular restaurants. (When a tourist orders a three pounder on a bed of steamers with corn on the cob, they expect to see two claws on that lobster).

https://www.billyschowderhouse.com/
Old 03-04-2022, 12:27 PM   #15
CALinSC

Morro Bay, CA

Much of the beauty of costal CA is away from large cities. On this long stretch of coastal highway #1 there are some of the largest beach areas on the coast. And they aren’t crowded with people.

10 California - Morro Bay.JPG 10a California - Morro Bay.jpg

10b California - Morro Bay.JPG 10c California - Morro Bay.jpg
Old 03-14-2022, 02:05 PM   #16
CALinSC

Corpus Christi, TX

We parked at the RV Park at the Naval Air Station for a couple of weeks. While there we spent a lot of time riding on the beaches at Padre Island. Surf and Pier fishing was very good with the popular red drum being abundant.

11 NAS Corpus Christi 2[1].JPG 11a Padre Island TX 1.jpg

11b Padre Island .jpg 11c Padre Island TX 3.jpg

11d weakfish.jpg
Old 03-27-2022, 12:42 AM   #17
CALinSC

Sutherland, NB

Golfing and fishing from the same parking site on a manmade lake in NB. The CG is not advertised but very visible from I-80 near Sutherland, NB. The golf course is a 9 hole layout and carts can be rented at the CG office. The lake is full of black bass, pan fish and cat fish, very easy to catch from the lake’s banks right where our rigs were parked.

In the evening the birds came to eat bugs and skim a drink of water before heading to their overnight perches.

12 Sutherland .jpg 12b Sutherland, NB .jpg

12c Southerland, NB.JPG 12d Southerland, NB.JPG
Old 04-17-2022, 02:42 AM   #18
CALinSC

Columbia, PA

One year while parked in the PA Amish countryside, we went to Columbia, PA to visit the National Clock & Watch Museum. While talking with some of the museum employees; they recommended we take a ride over the old bridge across the beautiful Susquehanna River. They said there was an old store with a beautiful view of the bridge and river. So, we did it. We browsed around in the store and then had lunch under a covered patio behind the store. It was a very interesting and relaxing day.

13 Susquehhanna river bridge, PA.jpg 13a Susquehhanna river bridge, PA.jpg

13b Susquehhanna river bridge, PA.jpg 13d Susquehhanna river bridge, PA.jpg

13ef Susquehhanna river bridge, PA.jpg
Old 04-22-2022, 01:32 PM   #19
CALinSC

Acadia NP, ME

Being born a Mainer, I had been to Bar Harbor and Acadia NP numerous times in my youth. During a Pollock fish run we would troll using silver spoons. Many of the local fisherman used silver table tea spoons fitted with a treble hook. The fish moved very fast and would hit anything silver. Pollock can get to 40 pounds but run fish ranged between 1 ˝ to 2 ˝ pounds.

14 Polluck .jpg

These pictures were taken on the park road leading to the top of Cadillac Mountain.

14a Acadia National Park .jpg 14b Acadia National Park .jpg

14c Acadia National Park .jpg 14d Acadia National Park .jpg
Old 05-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #20
CALinSC

Mallard Ducklings searching for food at a clear water pond/lake on NH-16.

15 Mallard Ducklings, NH .jpg 15a Trips to NH .jpg