Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Terry Weier

Buyer Beware my Elite Suite has lost $120,000

I own a 2013 DRV Elite Suite when purchased it had an MSRP of $160,000 with trade of a 2006 Koutry Air (that I wish I still owned) I financed $110,000 in other words I got my trade stole from me. I was informed last week that high trade value was $40,000. I would like to know how I've lost $120,000 in 5 years. Invest your money wisely and $120,000....loss in 5 years is not wisely!!!! If I could do everything all over again I would have saved my money and I would have bought a used diesel pusher 5+ years old (((look around at the high end low mile flagship pushers on the net great deals for about the same price of a new 5th wheel))) so most of its depreciation has happened they are built 10000 times better than any fifth wheel on the road and I'm talking low quality beginner entry level diesel pushers. If I took the time and got into the level of detail of issues I've had with my Elite Suite you would get sick and tired of reading. It would read like a very boring novel all I can tell you is I've had issues from day one (I have the receipts to back it up). I will never own another DRV product as long as I live. If you must stay with fifth wheels I would sure check out probably New Horizons, Spacecraft, or possibly a Lux I've heard good things. New Horizon and Spacecraft are one-off in other words they're not built on some assembly line where they're being paid piece work.

Terry Weier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
porkchop

I'm confused. Are you saying you paid close to msrp for your unit?
Have you ever looked at a Luxe? Could not give me one. Fancy name and pedigree. Total junk

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
porkchop

And on top of that, someone is trying to take advantage of you now. I'm not an authority on pricing, but I see Mobile Suites selling for more than that. Or is yours really rough?

Bill
Old 08-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
Terry Weier

No I have not bought a lux and I will not be buying a lux I just happened to look at some information on one it looked like a pretty nice setup but then again so did my DRV I drank that Kool-Aid once I will never drink it again. It is Diesel Pusher for me I'm going to be getting a flagship used Tiffin Zephyr or something to that caliber.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Weier View Post
I own a 2013 DRV Elite Suite when purchased it had an MSRP of $160,000 with trade of a 2006 Koutry Air (that I wish I still owned) I financed $110,000 in other words I got my trade stole from me. I was informed last week that high trade value was $40,000. I would like to know how I've lost $120,000 in 5 years. Invest your money wisely and $120,000....loss in 5 years is not wisely!!!! If I could do everything all over again I would have saved my money and I would have bought a used diesel pusher 5+ years old (((look around at the high end low mile flagship pushers on the net great deals for about the same price of a new 5th wheel))) so most of its depreciation has happened they are built 10000 times better than any fifth wheel on the road and I'm talking low quality beginner entry level diesel pushers. If I took the time and got into the level of detail of issues I've had with my Elite Suite you would get sick and tired of reading. It would read like a very boring novel all I can tell you is I've had issues from day one (I have the receipts to back it up). I will never own another DRV product as long as I live. If you must stay with fifth wheels I would sure check out probably New Horizons, Spacecraft, or possibly a Lux I've heard good things. New Horizon and Spacecraft are one-off in other words they're not built on some assembly line where they're being paid piece work.
First off, it's unfortunate to hear that you've been having a difficult time with the RV industry in general. Not a good thing. Also that your DRV experience was painful. I suspect that it could very well have been repeated with any number of products as the industry has a history of disappointments for some.
You use some phrasing that causes me to cringe slightly only because we might substitute any other high ticket item(s) in place of the items listed here. Unfortunately RV's in particular are not investments in a traditional sense, but pure expenditures, in every aspect. It's been my experience(s) over multiple decades that "Trades" and "financing" with career salespeople seldom end well for the consumer when dealing with high depreciation and / or luxury items.
Case in point: a close friend recently purchased a 14' ES from a private seller. Now this fellow is an experienced horse trader and did well on a very nice trailer and paid well over twice what you're quoting as high trade. No brag, It wasn't even listed (advertised) yet, and the seller had 2 other dismayed qualified buyers should our friend have backed out. Granted every region is different, as are buyers needs. The sellers opted to keep their DP/tag low mileage "Flagship" which probably still would command $475K. A DP motor chassis isn't cheap and depreciates about as fast. Thought about qualified service and maintenance, talk about taking it in the shorts... oops.
I'm unsure of the relevance of MSRP pricing... as another post mentioned.
NH are nice, I'd think you'd need to figure a good 50% more in value.
SC also nice but I doubt you'd touch one of them for 2-5 times the cost plus a likely MDT requirement.
We are acquainted with many owners of various types and styles of equipment. They all have had issues and some nightmare's. The fabled "Unicorn" can be elusive.
Hopefully you are able to find something that suits your needs, best of luck.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
chevman

My friend had a $20500.00 cummins engine repair and then the radiator was toast for another $5000.00 but it was a no charge from the engine repair. Not a normal story of course but a true one. Now the crack in a slide wall from the 4 tows getting home from the winter is being fixed, It is the Tiffin brand you are thinking about.

chevman
Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Dapperdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
And on top of that, someone is trying to take advantage of you now. I'm not an authority on pricing, but I see Mobile Suites selling for more than that. Or is yours really rough?

Bill
I agree with Bill, someone is trying to take advantage of you. I just looked on RV Trader, there's a 2013 Elite Suites that they're asking $82,500 for. I believe you're getting low-balled.

I hope who ever quoted you a price on the Elite is not from the same dealer that's selling you a Tiffin.

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
Cummins12V98

Have them PROVE to you your specific RV has recently sold for that money, NOT!
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
Terry Weier

It was Lazydays in Tampa that made the offer. I understand everyone needs to make money but I will not loose $40,000 equity to a dealer. I am fulltime so it is going to be hard to sell privately. How do I tell someone thanks for the check my new one will be here in a month then you can pick it up.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

Try a different dealer, but I would not be advertising the problems on this or any other forum...
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #11
Terry Weier

DRV Buyer Beware

LOL....why not isn't that what a forum is to inform.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #12
wingnut60
Site Team

That was in reference to a trade-in, unless you will turn in a list of ills when you ask for the trade-in value...
Certainly, having a lemon in anything is hard to take, sorry your experience has gone so badly.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #13
porkchop

Over the years there has been several people on the net running their rigs into the ground, hollering and saying how it was a pos, and then bitchin because no one would buy it. Go figure. Advertising is advertising.

Bill
Old 08-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
Over the years there has been several people on the net running their rigs into the ground, hollering and saying how it was a pos, and then bitchin because no one would buy it. Go figure. Advertising is advertising.

Bill

GREAT point!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #15
hdrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Weier View Post
It was Lazydays in Tampa that made the offer. I understand everyone needs to make money but I will not loose $40,000 equity to a dealer. I am fulltime so it is going to be hard to sell privately. How do I tell someone thanks for the check my new one will be here in a month then you can pick it up.
You be up front and tell them just that. We are going to sell our motorhome and we put in our add that it will be available for pick up on April 1st. We have 2 people so far that have shown interest and the April 1st thing works for them. Now it not a done deal but it can be done, you may need to offer an incentive like we did.

hdrider is offline   Reply With Quote