Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
RonS

Detectors both LP and CO2

Do they need to be replaced every so oftin?? The one in bedroom says to replace Aug 2010. But has never gone off except for when I test it. The LP is a different story every once in awhile for no reason will alarm. I have again taken the shop vac to it will see how long before it sounds again. Still working as far as I know because if I take a butain lighter by it it will sound. Thanks Ron

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
USA in a Chevrolet

LP detectors definitely need to be replaced, in most cases, every five years. The nuisance alrms are a symptom that your detector needs replacing. I have had to replace on LP detector so far.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
Jack in Alaska

I had to replace my LP detector two years ago as the old one started "yapping" unmercifully. Problem solved.

Now for smoke detectors............do they still make one with a 20 min. deactivate button so my 1st mate/cook/lover/mother of our children/wife doesn't go ape s--t when it goes off while cooking??? We had one on a previous rig and it worked well. It reset itself after 20 min.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
01zeosix

Jack,

I had the same problem as you. Drove me nuts. I finally replaced the smoke alarm with a photoelectric model that has a delay button. (First Alert makes one with an escape light for around twenty dollars at the Big Box store, Twelve dollars without a light.)

Wikipedia says, "An ionization type smoke detector is generally cheaper to manufacture than an optical smoke detector; however, it is sometimes rejected because it is more prone to false (nuisance) alarms than photoelectric smoke detectors." So look for a photoelectric smoke detector.

As a suggestion, search on "battery smoke detector with silencer". The big box stores, department stores, Amazon all carry them.

Once you have the alarm switched out, your home will be peaceful again. Nothing like restoring a little domestic tranquility to a confined space!!!
'08 DRV MS 36RSSB3 (#4049)
100% LED Lighting
Duramax DRW Diesel
Almost "Dunworkin"
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote