Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Jack in Alaska

Never-Lube Hubs???

My 2004 MS has the Never-Lube hubs. THe RV has approx. 40k miles on it. I had the hubs taken apart at a RV shop in 2009 for a check. They called the factory to check on the "play" in the bearing pack and were told that mine were in specs. I watch them carefully for leaking and check them with a infra-red thermometer at most stops along the way.
Now I read about others who have taken the same precautions and more but still have unbelievable problems.
What can be done to eliminate that. All of my previous RV's had conventional bearings/seals that I repacked each year. Never had a problem. I am really apprehensive about my Never-Lubes.
Anyone have a solution???????

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
USA in a Chevrolet

I have a suggestion but it is a little expensive. Go to MorRyde & have them install an IS suspension & specify regular bearings on the IS suspension. That is what I did.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
hitchup

It looks like the Nev-r-lube is an upgrade on Mor/ryde. This is from the Mor/ryde website.

"The IS system also allows for cost effective brake upgrades. Because installation of the IS system involves totally removing the axles, we can reinstall whatever brake size the customer wants. A number of brake sizes are available including 12 x 2, 12 ¼ x 2 ½, and 12 ¼ x 3 3/8. In addition, hydraulic or new disc brake upgrades are also available. The new Nev-R-Lube™ by Dexter™, a sealed cartridge bearing, is also available for select upgrades. The Nev-R-Lube™ bearing package features a 100,000 mile warranty and requires no maintenance."
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
USA in a Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchup
It looks like the Nev-r-lube is an upgrade on Mor/ryde. This is from the Mor/ryde website.

"The IS system also allows for cost effective brake upgrades. Because installation of the IS system involves totally removing the axles, we can reinstall whatever brake size the customer wants. A number of brake sizes are available including 12 x 2, 12 ¼ x 2 ½, and 12 ¼ x 3 3/8. In addition, hydraulic or new disc brake upgrades are also available. The new Nev-R-Lube™ by Dexter™, a sealed cartridge bearing, is also available for select upgrades. The Nev-R-Lube™ bearing package features a 100,000 mile warranty and requires no maintenance."
That's true. You can get the Never Lube if you want or can get the regular bearings that are repacked each year, which is what I did.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
47hook

I'm curious, are the Nev-R-Lube bearings the only bearings that fail? Are GY tires the only ones that fail...Lippert frames...etc. If you get peace of mind by taking apart bearings and repacking them yearly, more power to you. We all have something we are very concerned about and tend to focus on and worry about. Generally to the exclusion of all those other moving parts and pieces.

I'm not belittling you or your concerns over wheel bearings; they are very important and their failure can cause lots of damage. For me, I check as many "important" parts as I'm aware of and can check and rely on the knowledge that parts failures are generally rather rare. And I of course rely on these forums to highlight areas to be concerned about and check periodically.
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Jack in Alaska

47hook,

I agree with your take on wheel bearing worries. I do what I can with them, keep a close check as I explained and just go for it. My GY tires have been excellent as I watch, check and replace them as necessary.
I also agree that incidents are pretty rare but dramatic when they happen which gives them a lot of press in the RV crowd.
Every body puts on a show sooner or later but I just don't want mine to be a giant cluster f---- caused by my negligence or stupidity.
Happy camping to you and may your wheel bearings remain cool and slippery.
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
stanleyz

OOOPS, this may be late, i just noticed the date on the post. But, just in case here it is anyway. I would say that if you are checking them for high temp every stop it's very very unlikely you will have a major failure. I don't think they can "blow out". The first sign of falilure would be wheel wobble on the spline right? That would cause an elevated temperature which you would find at the next stop. Now, that don't mean you will be able to get on your way quickly. I broke a brake spring last time out and of curse felt it in reduced stopping power. A quick inspection revealed the problem, but finding the parts for repair took until I got home and then a couple days to get them shipped to me. But if you want to change them, I'm just guessing here but I bet someone at Dexter could provide the list of parts you would need to make the change over. Based on my recent experience it won't be cheap but all you would be looking for is a common wheel bearing set for an 8000 lb dexter axle. If you go to the dexter web site "home" and look under the "lititure" tab and you should be able to find them. As I recall they are listed by brake size. Mine (05 36 TK3) are 12.5 X 3.5. I think that's right. If not it's something close to that. Or here are two good contacts you can try: jhoncharenko@dexteraxle.com (jackie is Customer service) or Dbelisle@dexteraxle.com I (I think it's Duane but not sure, he is an engineer) both were very helpful to me just a couple weeks ago. Hope this helps.