Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
ptysonjr

2017 41RSSB4 ordered - question

As the title states we are waiting for our new MS unit. I was wondering if there were any major issues in 2015/2016 that may carry over to 2017 that I may need to be aware of? I know a few years ago there was a slide mechanism they had major issues with. I assume that is fixed now but wondered if there is anything else repetitive I may need to be aware of? Thanks in advance for any advise!!

ptysonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
donald

I have a 2014 and i think that automatic step needs some refinement. It does not always retract well because the little pusher gears on each side don't always work well. Also I've had a problem in past with the front jacks not staying retracted. Had to replace both of them and so far they have worked well. Otherwise, we are very happy with our unit. Good luck on your new purchase.

donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
missourijan

Haven't hear of any but if there are you'll read about it on this site or the suites owners site or the Thor discussion forum. Welcome to our world!
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Mechanic

We purchased this model in April, 2016, 2017 registered, have had so many major problems with it that our selling dealer, CanAm RV in London Ontario is replacing it with a 38RSSA MODEL. We spent a week at the new factory repair facility, a day at LIPPERT having them cut and reweld the frame. 370 miles to home and you would never know anything had been repaired. Good luck with yours.
mechanic.
Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #5
papaducky

2017 drv

Hi, just a few items we encountered when we took,our 2017 38RSSA Mobil Suite out the first time. I did a lot of looking and testing before leaving the yard, but lot of items just don't show up until you stay in it, pull it down the road, and use everything.

1, they didn't caulk the shower door track and it leaked water down the furnace vent before I caught it.
2, there were 8 so far electrical connections that weren't crimped, the electric steps only worked from the main panel, not from the storage compartment switch, the wires were not crimped in the switch, power to the hydraulics were loose and only made occasional contact, numerous light problems after traveling down the road, light switch over the cook top was loose, had to crimp the connectors.
3, the top in the closet has fallen down, we had extra blocking installed to prevent the clothes rod from pulling the top down, but they only used staples to hold up the cover and molding.
Bring a crimping tool, electrical,tape, staple gun, and silicone sealer with you, and some duct tape.

I still think it's the best RV on the market, even with the items I have found.
papaducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:06 AM   #6
rvndave

Every new rv experiences many problems. Over the years I have repaired most of the repairs needed. For me it has been easier, less aggravating, and cheaper for me to make the repairs on my own.
rvndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:52 PM   #7
azjeffh

Our major issues have been (so far)

1. Kitchen slide pulling out floor tiles.
2. Wood splitting around closet door mirror and pantry door
3. Fiberglass crack underneath bedroom slide

Some other items you may want to consider after receiving your unit.

Those plastic adjustable shelve supports will tear away from the wall as they're only stapled in, or the tabs they sit on will bend. Find a better solution.

Check all of your vertical sliding windows for ease of movement.

You may want to add a dab of blue Loctite to the nut on your kitchen sink faucet.

Check underneath the front overhang (near pinbox) and make sure the bottom is secured to the frame (i.e. doesn't move up and down).

Other than that...enjoy!

Jeff
wonderful wife Robin
2016 DRV 38RSSA
2016 F350 PSD dually
azjeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
Cummins12V98

"Check underneath the front overhang (near pinbox) and make sure the bottom is secured to the frame (i.e. doesn't move up and down)."

YEP, mine was hanging down almost 1" I pushed it up tight and drove two #10 driller screws thru the trim pc into the frame tube steel to hold it in place. You could see where they had caulking to hold it in place, that sure did NOT work.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:25 PM   #9
azjeffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
YEP, mine was hanging down almost 1" I pushed it up tight and drove two #10 driller screws thru the trim pc into the frame tube steel to hold it in place. You could see where they had caulking to hold it in place, that sure did NOT work.
The funny thing is they got 1/2 of it right, just not both sides.

Do you recall what the length of screw was you used? Did you remove screws and use the existing holes? I found some 3/4" long pan head screws on Amazon and would believe they'd work.
2016 F350 PSD dually
azjeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #10
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeffh View Post
The funny thing is they got 1/2 of it right, just not both sides.

Do you recall what the length of screw was you used? Did you remove screws and use the existing holes? I found some 3/4" long pan head screws on Amazon and would believe they'd work.
I just used self drilling hex head screws that were at least 1.25" ling not included the .25" driller portion. So I would guess they would be 1.5" screws. I will be painting them black.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
chevman

I am thinking our 2001 35 ft Avalon alpenlite might be the best as we have never had any of the issues posted above and we have slept in it over 7 years and owned it almost 16 years. I feel for anybody having issues from a poor build and would not call it quality. Soon nothing will be a good item to buy.

chevman
Old 10-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #12
Cummins12V98

It is a shame Alpenlite is done and gone!