Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
JohnandMarla

Water Softeners?

What type of water softeners are you using? Any recommendations?

We are unsure about the type that use salt, a lot of websites talk about them not being the best due to it causing excessive salt intake.

Carpe Diem-SEIZE THE DAY!
JohnandMarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
jbeletti

We use the On-The-Go Portable Water Softener. We like it. Uses a 1# container of table salt to regenerate and is fairly small in size.

As for sodium added to the water, it's a function of the hardness of the water in your campground. So the amount may vary as you move around the country. Follow the link above to read what one manufacturer states as far as the amount of sodium added per quart of water.

Jim[/url]

Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
rverdlm

I also use the ON-THE-GO and I'm very happy with it. As far as I know all water softeners use some form of salt for regeneration. As the posted literature says if your on a restricted salt diet check with your doctor. Not all high blood pressure is caused by salt.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Thom

Just some information to pass on, not trying to start a salt war. There are places that are or have put into place ordinances preventing the use and or instillation of any type of water conditioning products that use the salt transfer method. researching the topic has led me to a host of options that may or may not really work, some are supported by independent university testing to verify that the method really works even though it sounds and looks like a snake oil type of a thing.
We are going to try one method that looks good to me after doing a little research, and see what happens, if it doesn't work try another( I personally do not like the salt methods).
There is also data that supports the premise that under some conditions one type of water conditioning method will work and another will not as well as the possibility that none will work effectively without causing inappropriate levels of waste and cost for the amount of treated water out the other end
We will be boondocking and hauling all the water we use both in and out most of the time and waste water from treatment will be an issue for us

again your results my differ

Thom
Mobile Suites 36TK3 #3151 Blog at www.jggrafx.com/ftroadrunners
03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole. Michelin 245/70R-19.5/16 XDS low profile drivers and 245/70R-19.5/16 XZE low profile steers
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
JohnandMarla

We will continue to research. Thank you for your input.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
hitchup

I noticed that the 2008 Elite price list shows a "whole house water softener" as an option. Maybe you could contact DT & see what brand they use.
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
JohnandMarla

That was a good idea-we did call DT. They said it is a salt based product as well and couldn't tell us what it would cost to retrofit our RV. They referred us to a dealer