Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
dalehandsome

Security System

Can anyone suggest a good security system for the Mobile Suites?

dalehandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
jdwilson3

In order of my preference:

1. Rottweiler
2. German Shepard
3. Smith & Wesson

4. Radio Shack had some units that had cell phone dialer for fire and medical calls, not sure about intrusion.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Motor31

If you are thinking about something like an alarm similar to what is used on cars you will not be thought well of in a park. They are overly sensitive and tend to go off from wind shaking the rig. That's not real fun to listen to repeated alarms in a park when someone with an alarm has gone off on a day trip.

Your best bet is to change the locks on the access panels so that anyone with the standard key can't unlock them. Same for the door and always use your deadbolt lock.

If you are storing the rig the alarm system will drain the battery. Unless the storage lot is monitored all the time the alarm will be ignored. Some jurisdictions have a false alarm statute that will charge the owner for responses to multiple false alarms.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
John

Don't forget the "Judge"!!!
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
The View 5046

I agree, my "Judge" and I alway travel together. Hope its never used but I have it for one reason. To protect my property and stop someone from harming my wife or myself. I also have a 15 shot 9 MM, Henry 45 cal long rifle, 30/30 cal lever action, and the wife has a 38 Cal Lady Smith hammerless. You would be surprised as to were you can conceal that baby. I believe I had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Each has his/her on opinion, and thats a right we all have, but there are many who are trying to change that. LEO can't be ever place. Less face facts there are just to many criminals walking around. I really wouldn't put a alarm system in a RV unless it has to be stored away from you stick house. GBY...

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
JOHN EVANS

who owns a judge? and is the 45 accurate? you dont have to be a good shot with the 410 .someone said 45 not real accurate and lost some kick on contact with target
JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
I do. At the distance I'll need it it is besides your right the 410 first followed by the 45. Done deal!
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
jdwilson3

As most of you old timers on here know, we gave up full time RV living and ended up with a house (boo) and a Class C (more Boo)...we, I sell guns in a military Base Exchange....we sell tuns of Taurus Judge and Public Defender models...Taurus owns Rossi and there is a new one coming...The Circuit Judge...a long gun with a revolver (Judge) cylinder!!! Also, Taurus is making the Ragin' Judge...takes the .454 Cassul (Ragin' Bull) as well as the .45 Colt and .410, and the new cylinder will hold 6 (woo woo..2 each)

Remember...When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
The View 5046

If I need accuracy I have the Henry or the 30/30 long rifles. As Ponch said for what I use the Judge for it will be short range. I for sure woudn't want to be firing a long rifle in a RV park?? I also use the Judge what on the Farm, its a awesome snake weapon. GBY....

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
morscuba

What Mike said....It happened in Key West on a higher end Motorhome only they were gone for a three day dive charter. Luckly we were able to get into the battery compartment to disconnect. I have heard there is something similar to an Onstar system that will notify police or a security company thath in turn call police. Have no idea how expensive or even if it really exsist.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
dalehandsome

Just want to keep it simple

Wow!! Lots of good info, however, all I’m looking for is a simple alarm that goes off and makes lots of noise if someone enters our place while we are out. You know something like door contacts or motion sensors with a very loud siren. We had a good system on our home and found a loud noise gets rid of would be burglars faster than anything else including monitoring. Our home system is, however, a little over kill for a 5th wheel. FYI when I was a kid, a few of us broke into a neighbor’s pigeon coup by feeding their ferocious dog a little red meat. We did get caught, but it wasn’t by the dog. Guns don’t work real well unless you are there! Thanks for all your good information.
dalehandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
Motor31

Any automotive alarm company can install what you are looking for. They will be happy to do so as it is the same kind of alarm they normally install in a vehicle. Your park neighbors will likely be happier to see you leave if the alarm goes off while you are gone.

The RV alarms are easy to defeat sinece all you have to do is remove the power to the rig. Disconnecting the shore power cord and battery contacts are a snap especially if the battery acess is only secured by a single standard lock on the panel.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
RonS

Most people in the RV Parks are honest, and in the same condition as you. Ask them to keep an EYE on your RV and in turn tell them you will watch theirs when they are away. Also tell them if they hear someone trying to get into their Bay or dead bolted door to hit the Truck remote panic horn button, and you will come to help. Thats were the hand gun comes in handy. Just put the lazer sight on forehead, attitude changes real fast.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Okie

Go to the NRAstore.com they have a trip alarm you can put inside your door. Doesn't take much pressure to set them off and they are loud. Just remember that they are there when you return.

Okie
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
terry and jo

Based on my experience over on another forum, I think LisaPalmer is a spammer.

Another idea that is not an alarm, but may be beneficial, is the use of trail cameras (also referred to as game cameras) that are set up outside. They work off of motion sensing and take pictures of anyone moving around the RV (or home). A couple here in Oklahoma had a near home invasion and they are using the photos from a game camera that was attached to a tree in the front yard that got some photos of the perpetrators.

If one does this, just make sure to put the camera at a good height so that the criminals don't steal the camera. Some of those are even have "tree patterns" on the to blend in with the trees.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote