Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #21
clev

And, a couple of other things, cummins, you may or may not be interested, but we are discussing insulation and heat control. The outside 'wipe/flap' under the kitchen slide is the only thing between the inside and the outside of the coach. The flap on ours, didn't make good contact with the bottom of the slide, and light could be seen from inside the coach. That allows for a lot of cold air infiltration during cold season. We removed ours, and repositioned it upwards so that the contact is good and no more light. However, we could still feel cold when walking barefoot inside by the slide. My wife and I cut door sweeps, like on your household doors, and using a drill with long philips extension screwed these strips to the inside lip of the slide; that stopped the cold air.

Two more things, and then I'll stop; LOL. When it's hot outside, we noticed that the bedroom closet was extremely hot, when we opened the door. I figured there was not enough insulation in the front cap. So, I called in an insulation company with portable equipment to blow insulation into the front and rear cap. We removed the 5 running lights on both, and with a 2 inch adapter, filled both caps to capacity. I don't recall the exact amount of cubic feet of insulation that they required, but it was 'enormous'. And, the difference in temperature is amazing.

Finally, I ordered a solar bronze, deep tinted safety glass, cut to fit for the door. I had done that on my last coach and it made a huge difference in light and heat transfer, so that's one of the first things that I did with this one.

Anyway, just wanted to share with you and anyone interested.

To everyone, from a 21 year combat veteran, take note, and appreciate the importance of this holiday.

'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #22
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Now that I have my remote control generators effectively set up, I will probably do the same.

Did you install the key fob type remote?

Did you add any indicator lights that you can see the gen is running by looking in your mirrors?

porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #23
clev

They came with the remote control for starting and stoping; 3600 watts each, inverter type with parallel kit for 7k watts, ~60 amps. I can sit in my lift chair and start or stop them. Driving, I would have to stop to start them, and no, I wouldn’t be able to see them from mirrors.
'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #24
porthole

Ah, you are using portable generators.

I was curious as I know the onboard Onan's have some type of remote available.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #25
Cummins12V98

"As far as the vent covers, the vents work the same with or without the covers"

Not really. They close or they don't when it rains, ours decided not to close one time and we came home to wet carpet. Now we can leave the fan lids open anytime we want with no water intrusion. ONLY reason we added the covers.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #26
clev

I ordered my coach gen ready, and intended to install an Onan diesel 6k. But, the weight would have added close to 500 pounds to my pin weight plus the weight of fuel. Secondary to that problem, was locating a place to mount a fuel tank. And finally, all of that would exceed $10k. I’ve used the remote control Champion generators for a few years, so opted to buy two with a parallel kit. Those and the fuel tank are carried on the swivel wheel trailer. I have less than $3500 in the set up.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #27
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"As far as the vent covers, the vents work the same with or without the covers"

Not really. They close or they don't when it rains, ours decided not to close one time and we came home to wet carpet. Now we can leave the fan lids open anytime we want with no water intrusion. ONLY reason we added the covers.

The rain sensors - sometimes they worked, then would just fail. I stopped replacing them.

But mostly after my wife wigged out one night.

Of course I never heard it, but apparently the vent in the bathroom would close because of the dew, then
dry out and open
close / dew
dry out / open etc

all night long.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #28
Cummins12V98

There was a spot on our kitchen sweep that let light in and the factory fixed it. Sounds like a common problem.

As far as the door window I did not order one and I did not add the peep hole as I have a window right next to the door I can look out.

clev, thank you for your service!!!

Old 05-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #29
clev

Yes, cummins, you are correct about closing in case of rain. I know that the vent sensors close when it rains, and the covers would possibly block that sensor. I suppose if the rain blows into the screened opening of the cover, rain could enter the coach.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #30
Cummins12V98

The point is I don't have to worry about the darn things "NOT" closing now. The covers do not allow any water to come in as I have been in some horrific wind and rain conditions.

BTW the fantastic Vent Covers flow WAYYYY more air than the others.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #31
clev

I have the Fantastic vent covers that were made for the Fantastic vents and have been using these covers for at least 25 years. In addition to those, we use the square cushions pushed up into the opening from the inside. LOL, cummins; no heat intrusion.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #32
Traveling Home

What paint did you use for the skylight? and how does it look from the inside?
Traveling Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #33
clev

And I missed it earlier, cummins; your are welcome for your 'thank you'. After I had finished my first term in the Army, I had no clue what I would do when I got out; so I just stayed, and have never regretted it.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #34
GlennWest

Mine not a drv but I'm removing my skylight.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #35
clev

TR, I posted a reply to your question, but don’t see it; not sure what happened. But, we had Lowe’s mix up a gallon of Exterior Acrylic Latex to match the white on the trailer. I sprayed the vent covers and AC, and my wife used a roller and brush on the skylight. It looks fine on the inside, but is really not even noticeable.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #36
jlsr

Hello Clev,
First of all Thank You for your service!! We're very thankful to all the past and present service personnel out there. Our son was Army and is still military as he's National Guard now.

Your upgrades are awesome. Thanks for sharing them. I would like to know about the rear awning on your rig. Did it come with that or was it added ? Would love something like that to shade the rear window on our Lifestyle. We

Thanks again
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #37
clev

You’re welcome. No, the rear awnings were installed by my wife with me helping. We cut out the rear ladder and plugged the holes so it looks like a removable.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #38
Cummins12V98

Our skylight came with a window blind.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #39
clev

Ours also came with a pull shade, but heat could still be felt radiating around it.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #40
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Our skylight came with a window blind.
We deleted the skylight, but our door came with a pull down shade. First I have seen that.