Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Rockyhud

Getting new landing gear - maybe

Today I got on the Lippert website and used their Chat feature to inquire about motorcycle fork oil use in their hydraulic systems, and particularly if this would have any beneficial effect toward resolving the issue with our RV's front landing gear slowly dropping while the RV is in tow and moving. The tech, named Matthew, said it wouldn't help with that problem. I went on to tell him about advice to run the landing gear manually up and down with no weight on them and on the final retract to hold the UP button a little longer to pressurize the ram to hold it in place. He said this likely causes the internal seal lip(s) to flip back in the "right spot" and hold the ram up OK, until the next time they're run up and down and the seal flips "wrong" again.

I then asked, since this is happening while the RV is in motion (in tow) if this was a safety concern to Lippert and if there was any recall for replacing these due to being a safety concern. He then checked with others there then came back and asked where I lived - I told him outside Colorado Springs. He then said the only offer he could make for replacement would be if I were to bring the unit to their Goshen, IN service facility and they would cover free parts and labor only. Now he's really got my attention. I said that might be possible later on, like close to summer, and asked how long this might take to complete.

He wasn't sure about how long the repairs would take then asks for information - data from RV and my address and phone. I gladly provide all this and he goes about entering this into a service request form for me. A little while later he comes back with a case number and says their service dept will be in touch. At that point I'm feeling like this might actually turn into a good thing. I thank him profusely and end the Chat session. After the session closes I provided the requested Chat survey ratings, and gave Matthew high marks for knowledge and professional conduct and the great help. Now, I'll await their service dept contact.

While I didn't bring it up during this Chat, I will when the service dept calls or emails, and this is whether they would consider providing the replacement rams to me at no cost so I can either install them myself or maybe have a local RV dealer to that, with me paying for any labor cost involved. That would save me a LOT of time and money traveling to their facilities.

If this actually happens this may be a good indicator for others with the same issue to get their landing gear and/or stabilizer jacks replaced too. I will definitely add to this as it develops. Stay tuned.

2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Thank you for the info--recent posts seemed to show Lippert was moving away from any ownership of the problem...

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Rockyhud

That's why I titled the thread with maybe at the end. I don't know but I'm thinking that my asking if this was a safety concern for Lippert may have turned the conversation toward the replacement option. During the initial Chat session I let Matthew know the problem was with the landing gear dropping while the RV was in motion (in tow) and I was trying to find a way to resolve it, possibly with fork oil, or use a suitable work-around like suggested here to run the jacks up and down with no weight. His response up to that point was it sounded like the rig has a bypassing jack or bad seal and that Lippert doesn't have repairs kits, so the rams would need to be replaced but inferring it would be all at my expense. When I broached the topic of it being a safety issue is when the conversation turned more positive. At this point I'm hopeful but not to the point of counting on it happening, yet. We'll see.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
Dapperdan

Rockyhud, I think you're going to get your service work done N/C! When I called last May about our front jacks and spoke with Josh that was the same routine as you. Josh asked all sorts of questions about our trailer. We were scheduled in for service and the rest is history!

I don't want to give you false hopes but it sure sounds to me like your problems will be solved.

Our replacement job was done is a single day and was AWESOME!!!

Good Luck...... Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
Notanlines

Rocky, can you yell "Road trip?" If they're willing to do it then turn your lemon into lemonade and enjoy the trip in the spring or summer.....
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
Rockyhud

Talked this over with the wife and she agrees this would be good to have the work done by Lippert, especially with them covering parts and labor. The travel costs wouldn't be insignificant, but still, having Lippert do the work would be best, since they know the systems best and we'd have the best chance of getting the best quality work from them.

It would be a long 2-day trip (about 1200 miles) each way, basically from Colorado Springs to Goshen, plus whatever time they took doing the work. So Jim may have the timing about right - spring or summer trip there may be in our future. We'll see how this develops but it sounds promising.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Dapperdan

Where you will be going to for your repair work is an exclusive plant Lippert has for their level-up systems. You will see tons of Lippert plants in the general area, producing their other components.

They will have the proper parts for the correct repair to your unit not to mention the experienced personnel to CORRECTLY complete your repair. They don't just work on DRVs either, while we were there they had just finished up a Big Horn.

I'm happy for you, you'll get your problem solved, it'll be a trip well worth taking. Be sure to check out Shipshewana while in the area, that's the heart of Amish country, tons of shops and things to see there.

Dan
Old 01-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
Rockyhud

Today I received email from Lippert Customer Service saying they need a photo of the frame tag and one of the front landing gear that have the "drifting down" issue. Brandi (CS rep) says this info will be sent to Josh for review and scheduling. The one photo I haven't taken with my phone camera is the data plate on the frame under the entry door (recess for the folding steps), so I sent pics of all the tags from the 5th wheel hitch and requested she let me know if those will suffice. I think I'll snap a photo of the one under the door just in case. I'm still not quite believing this will happen, yet, but the process sure seems to moving in that direction.

BTW, in case this becomes reality, I'm looking to travel I-80 and wondering how good that highway through Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and northern Indiana are. Anyone traveled that route lately? I traveled I-70 from Limon, CO (east of Denver) to St Louis this past November when I traveled to FL to checkout and buy the RV and found it pretty decent with the exception being Kansas City - utterly horrible traffic and not very good road surfaces there. Once on the east side of KC, I-70 was again pretty nice but getting through KC - I'd rather not deal with that again. Also, the I-80 route, according to Google Maps, is about 60 miles shorter distance and 1 hour less time than the I-70 route.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
golf_bears

I traveled I-80 this past September (late Sept) and it was in good shape. From Salt Lake City to Des Moines. Ended up in Ames for October Fest on our way to Wisconsin.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Cummins12V98

Some of the worse highways I have traveled on are the States surrounding and including Indiana.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Dapperdan

I can't comment on I-80 west as I haven't been on it for a couple of years but when you get to Indiana it turns into a toll road. The Indiana Toll Road is in pretty good shape, they've been busy resurfacing it.

When I go to the Elkhart area I use I-94 east to exit 40 (Michigan City/LaPorte), taking 20 straight east to the bypass around South Bend (31/20). Staying on 20 all the way to La Grange (if I'm going to DRV). 20 is a four lane divided highway all the way to Middelbury where it turns into a regular two lane highway. It's used by LOTS of RVers and truckers avoiding the tolls. We were just out that way in July or August and it's an easy drive, with or without a trailer.

Good luck, from everything you're saying you're going to be making a trip to Goshen in the not too distant future!

Dan
Old 01-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
Rockyhud

Thanks guys. A few years back (2011-2012) I worked TDY for Rolls-Royce in Indianapolis, IN and drove to a few locations within driving distance and found most of IN roads to be pretty decent. I've been in some of the states I-80 runs through but so long ago that a lot could have changed in that time.

Not related to this potential trip, but the worst roads I've encountered in a LONG time were in MS and OK. Highway 49 coming into the south side of Jackson was absolutely THE worst and Hwy 287/385 across the OK panhandle wasn't much better, but Hwy 49 was a doozy. It was so rough that I pulled over onto the shoulder, little that there was, 2 separate occasions to check the truck and RV for damage because it was rattling us so violently that I thought sure something had broken due to the super hard jolts and sounds of something that broken or shaken loose. Turned out these sounds were coming from the 5th wheel safety chains banging the truck bed floor as the rear wheels crossed the expansion joints between concrete sections of the roadway. And it wasn't just our vehicle enduring the roughness as I heard similar loud noises from each passing semi-truck and trailer that passed by when I was checking things. I guarantee we will NEVER travel that road again.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
porkchop

WHOA!!! 5th wheel safety chains??

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
Rockyhud

Yup. I'm using an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2 hitch and since some states mistakenly consider it a gooseneck adapter I decided I'd buy and use their safety chains kit, just in case any LEO in one of these states were to stop us and check for gooseneck trailer safety chains. Don't really need them except for that but figured they might save some time and aggravation if such an occasion ever occurred.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #15
porkchop

Yea, you can never win an argument with LEO along side the road.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
Cummins12V98

"Beefed up 97 Ram 2500 4x4 with 12-valve Cummins, 5-speed, long bed. Tows the DRV very nicely."

Sorry I just had to say something. I don't care how "Beefed Up" my 98 12V was I would never consider towing my last DRV a 36SB3 and really would not consider a 38'. It aint about towing it's about handling.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #17
Rockyhud

No problem - to each his own. My version of "beefed up" and yours may well not be the same. FWIW, I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased with how well my truck performed the entire trip from FL (basically sea-level) all the way home to CO (just shy of 7000 ft). Even with very strong cross-winds in FL and again in TX, I didn't feel worried about how the truck and RV were behaving as it stayed in my lane without "white knuckle driving". There were even times when I'd look at the speedometer and see that I was inadvertently going faster than I should and the stopping and general handling capabilities gave me confidence there wasn't a mismatch. Again, to each his own.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:36 AM   #18
Notanlines

Rocky, I gave a little thought to your situation and originally was going to ignore what you wrote. After giving it some consideration I changed my mind. Your Dodge has a cargo capacity in the 1800-1900 pound capacity. Let's add up a tank of fuel, you and Momma, maybe a hundred pounds of "stuff" including your hitch in the bed and you only have about 1300? pounds left. How am I doing so far? Pin weight on your RV will be about 3800 pounds, maybe more. I don't plan on changing your mind, but it is important that you and maybe some newbies realize that a 21 year old 3/4 ton truck is not suitable to pull a Mobile Suites under any circumstances. As a matter of fact, not any of the 3/4 ton trucks in 2018 are suitable to pull any Mobile Suites. YMMV
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #19
Cummins12V98

My 36' DRV had a pin of 4,500#.

I did a rear disk kit on my 98 it did improve braking but in all honestly the brakes on it were SH!T. There is only so much a person can do. I know the 2nd gen rAM's are capable of towing much mort than the book says but......

Air bags can be added and 19.5's but IMHO that is NO WAY enough to "HANDLE" that massive load.

Just for fun please let us know what you did to "Beef Up" your RAM.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #20
Stevencoles

Our fix scheduled for April

After reading this thread I called Lippert, got a no hassle excellent response and have an appointment in April for them to do the work. If you have this issue definitely contact them.

Stevencoles is offline   Reply With Quote