Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
Jerome

my camper and truck ratchet when I pull off

I have a 2019 3720 Montana Pulled by 2018 chev 2500 HD with Duramax diesel with Allison transmission when I pull from a dead stop the unit rathets back and forth does any have any idea what I am doing wrong ?Thank you for the input. Jerome

Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
I have a 2019 3720 Montana Pulled by 2018 chev 2500 HD with Duramax diesel with Allison transmission when I pull from a dead stop the unit rathets back and forth does any have any idea what I am doing wrong ?Thank you for the input. Jerome
Need a bit more information. Is the transission jerky? or the trailer brakes not releasing or is the hitch loose in the bed? Please explain the "ratches back and forth".

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Jerome

Good questions I cannot tell you the answers too those questions at this time the rig is in shop at camping world in concord nc the awning got damaged while we were at the race. as soon as we get it back I will address those issues . Thank you so much. Jerome P.
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
golf_bears

What rear differential gear ratio do you have????
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
stanleyz

If by ratchet you meaning moving back in the hitch and making achunking sound thats pretty normal. You can reduce it with a high dollar hitch or just deal with it. If you mean a vibration Fords have a drive shaft vibration that will be reduced with air bags. With that trailer and a 2500 truck you may be squatting enough in the rear enough to cause a similar vibration. Take a good look from the side. If thats the case air bags would probably correct it. You might also want to weigh that unit if you haven’t already. It is critical that the rear axle weight of the truck and rrailer does not exceed the weight rating of the tires. With or without air bags the rear axle tires will go boom if overloaded.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
BearKeller

It could be “launch shutter”. When a heavy load is put in the bed of the truck it squats down. The drive line angles then change and can cause a vibration when you accelerate after a stop. It goes away after a short distance. I’ve owned trucks from all 3 major brands and they all do it. Solution is tapered shims installed where the springs and axle meet. None of the big 3 would do that so I just start slow and deal with it.

BearKeller is offline   Reply With Quote