Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
terry and jo

Torque Wrench Advice, Please.

So, in reading different forums, it seems apparent that anyone owning a Suites model with the disk brakes needs to have a torque wrench. While I know what they are and a "somewhat" idea of how to use them, I have NEVER had any experience with any of them. My tool of choice in the past has been a 4-way crossover lug wrench.

I searched for and found a couple of threads on SOITC's forums and roughly 34 different threads here on Fifth Wheel Forums, some of which only picked up on the word "wrench" and weren't even related to torque wrenches.

Some had suggested a "$30 or $40" one from Autozone or whatever. However, what I would like to know is what do I need to AVOID, if anything.

So, I'm asking again for the great folks here for your advice.

Is there any brands, types, models that I should avoid like the plague?

Is calibration of the torque wrench critical, and if so, any ideas on how to do that?

If anyone has other points to make regarding the torque wrench or its use, I welcome any comments that you have to make.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
golf_bears

I got mine at Sears. It's adjustable to at least 200 ft #. I'm assuming you have the 17-1/2" H tires with the larger lugs. If so, you need a min. of 150ft # of torque on the lug nuts.

In addition you'll need the correct size sockets (six points) for the lug nuts and the bolts on the pin box. I suggest you also get a few extension bars, at least a 3" one.

Don’t go cheap, at those torques you’ll just twist the extension bars or strip the hex out of the socket especially if something gets rusty.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

torque wrenches

This is a tool that will last a lifetime if you buy quality and take care of it. I have a Great Neck adjustable that tops at 150# and have had it for some 10 years. Can't go wrong with Craftsman, cause you can take it to any Sears and get a replacement if something does crater on it. Don't get one of the old-style dial (long metal indicator and plate) ones. get an adjustable one and set it and forget it....a 3" extension will help save knuckles when working on the wheel lugs.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Gemstone

"Don't get one of the old-style dial (long metal indicator and plate) ones."

So, if I have one of these....does it mean I'm old ? Guess my Sears torque wrench must be 30-40 years old by now...

Regards
old Gemstone
Old 08-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
anijet

My experience from 40 years in aviation maintenance.

Dial indicator wrenches are the most expensive and most accurate but somewhat difficult to use in high torque applications (hard to see the dial when applying 140# of torque). These must be calibrated regularly.

Snap-over (click type) are the easiest to use, least accurate, go out of calibration easily and must be checked regularly. They must always be turned down to zero when not in use. I use Snap-on and Proto but calibrate each 3 months.

Simple bending beam wrench is the least expensive and although calibration is recommended they almost never go out of calibration unless grossly mis-used. This is what I carry in the truck. Sometimes KIS(Silly) is still the best.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I bought my click type at the local NAPA store for about $80 when I discovered to pull the drums (if you have never Lube bearings) to inspect the electric brakes you had to retorque the cap lock nut to 145 foot pounds. I've also used it to remove and retorque the drain plug in the water heater along with the wheel lug nuts. So it gets used many times a year, well worth owning.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Motor31

Something to consider. Any torque wrench is more accurate than no torque wrench. You won't be putting the amount of use on a personal wrench that a mechanic would on one for work. I prefer the snap over wrench and have one for the wheel lugs. I've used it this year as I had to remove tires to change them and wanted to get the torque setting correct.

If you are currently using a 4 way wrench to change tires, you are not getting close to the proper torque for the wheels. Get a cheap torque wrench from harbor freight if you have to and use that to set the wheel torque. It's better than no wrench and the 4 way to boot.

A torque wrench is most accurate in the middle of it's range rather than either end. You may need multiple wrenches to cover the spectrum of torque values. You will need at least a half inch drive wrench for the wheels as that torque goes to 150 Ft Lbs. They are easy to use and if you buy new will have an instruction booklet.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

torque wrenches

I misstated the name of the wrench I was trying to describe--instead of dial, I should have said 'bending beam' type. I forgot there is actually a dial-readout type. I can remember trying to look sideways at the 'dial' face on my old torque wrench when putting cylinder heads back on--torque readings were subject to change as I moved my head trying to get the correct angle to look at the face/plate line.

and, yes, Gemstone we are both kind of old if we have one of these, I would think.

Thanks, anijet, for using the correct name for me.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
......A torque wrench is most accurate in the middle of it's range rather than either end. You may need multiple wrenches to cover the spectrum of torque values........
Good point.

To one of your other points, I have a Proto click wrench I've had a long time that I use when at home. I've never calibrated it but it always seemed to over toruqe. I finally checked it a while back and at 140 it was really 165 so I just use the beam wrench now.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
Red Ram

One other thing that has not been touched on is, when torquing you should use an even steady pull on the torque wrench. I cringe when I see the tire jockey's jerking on their click over torque wrench when installing tires.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
I cringe when I see the tire jockey's jerking on their click over torque wrench when installing tires.
ME TOO!
I watched a young fella doing just that when I bought new tires one time at Walmart.
I drove home and re-torqued the wheels my self. I couldn't hardly beleave how bad his torque job was. I shouldn't have drove the car anywhere.
It made me wonder how many of his wheels have fallen off the cars he has worked on.
Or worse yet, how many people have died because of this ignorant fella.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
terry and jo

You guys have been great. We were near Sears today so we drove over to see what they had in the way of torque wrenches.

Now, because of that, I have a follow up question. I'm certainly not interested in the "bending beam" or "visible dial" style. But, I also didn't see any like that anyway.

What I did see that somewhat interested me was two different ones. There was a $80 one that had a rotating dial on the shank for setting the target setting. Then there was a $120 one that had a digital readout for setting the target setting.

So, while I don't REALLY want to spend the extra $40 (if I went with Sears), would the digital one really be better? I would think with a digital readout, the dang thing probably has to have a battery to operate that. It would just be my luck the battery would go dead just when I needed to use the wrench.

While I like the idea of the Craftsman because of their warranties on tools, I plan on looking at a few other places. However, I did buy a 6-point socket and about a 6" extension at Sears. I know that those two items need to be quality.

Thanks again for your help.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
Richard Miller

Sears does not warranty torque wrenches. KOBALT at Lowes makes a nice wrench and made in USA.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
The View 5046

Terry thats correct Sears doesn't warranty torq wrenches. I have a digital type thats been broken and Sears wouldn't replace it. And I have a beam type also. I went to Wally World a fews year back and bought what ever brand they sell. It works ok, but torqing isn't some thing you have to do often. As you know we just finished a 6,000 mile Western swing and only checked torq once, and none were loose.

I also don't allow a impact wrench to be used on anything but the Freightliner. All of the tire shops that are professional will set the torq after removing and replacing a wheel in any Vehicle the service. Thats just my opinion. Other have dfferent opinions. GBY...................

P.S. Back in Tennessee, in Clarksville, Tn. visiting the Grand Kids. Will go back to home base on Monday.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
terry and jo

Jo and I did some looking around this last week. I finally got to Autozone and I also checked out the Kobalt torque wrenches at Lowes.

So, with Sears, the 25-250 wrench sold for $120, the 25-250 Kobalt at Lowes was $95, and the one at Autozone was a brand called OEM and their 25-250 was selling for $80.

I've never heard of OEM, so I don't know what those are like. I first questioned whether "OEM" meant "original equipment manufacturer", but when I went to Autozone's website, they have them listed as a brand name. Both the Sears and the Kobalt come with a 1 year warranty, and likely the OEM may as well.

Also, I went out and looked through the DRV Suites owner's manual and they specify that one start out by first using 20 ft lbs of torque and then go around again with 80 ft lbs of torque, and ending up with a third round at 120-150 ft lbs. DRV Suites seems to think it is important if they are advising such procedures.

Now, I just have to decide for sure which wrench that I want. The Sears one had the digital readout on the settings, and the Kobalt and OEM had the "dial" control for setting the ft lbs.

Thanks again for all your help.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
Beachgirl

Torque wrench

I know this is an old thread, but we are going to go get our Suite out of storage and I want to get a wrench to check torque before towing. I read all the posts I could find, but, alas, it's all Greek to me. I know I need to buy a good quality wrench. I read that Terry considered Kobalt. I read there are 3 different kinds. Would you master mechanics just simplify this for me? Tell me what to buy, where. LOL

Also, we're planning to go to Southern Cal in January, as dh retires in Dec. It will be our first big trip. The tires scare me, even though our Suite is just 7 months old. I want to have the tire monitor installed. I'm thinking of going with the TST system. Do I just go to a mechanic to get it installed? Or is it a relatively easy DYI? My hubbie is fairly handy.

I apologize for such newbie questions. Sometimes when I read on the forum the what can go wrongs seem overwhelming. But I love my Suite!!
Beachgirl
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
golf_bears

You can get a good torque wrench at Sears along with a number of other places. I do not know what tires you are running, the 16" or the 17-1/2", but the torque wrench should be capable to about 200 ft lbs.

The TST TPMS is a great system and is easy to install and program. You can order the TST system direct from them. Here's their web site, just click on it.

http://www.tsttruck.com/[/url]
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
The View 5046

Beachgirl, Sears, Home Depol, Lowes and almost anyone sales tool will sale a Torq Wrench, as say try to get one thats 200 lbs or more.

As for the tire monitoring system, I have a Pressure Pro system which I bought from Pat & Mike McFall, full time RVer's they sale RV things as a side. The are very Honest and will back up what they sell. The Pressure Pro system I have used for 6 years, sold my last Truck and the buyer talked me into leaving? So I order another set, it has 10 sensors and they are very easy to install very easy to set up and if you have a issue call Pat or Mike they will take care of your issue. I have never met them personally, however I have talked to Pat many time... Since we got our 2010 Mobile Suites we have never had a issue with loose lug nuts. I just had all the tires balanced in Sept and check the Torq after the first 30 miles and again at 90 miles all lugs were at the correct torq. Good Luck.....Happy Trails...

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
USA in a Chevrolet

You can buy the type of torque wrench with the dial at the bottom of the handle for about $20 at Harbor Freight. I have one & it works well.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Richard Miller

Sorry (USA IN A CHEVORLET) I do not post very often on any forum but I can't resist it right now. The Torque wrench from Lowes (KOBALT) is made in the USA!!! the one from Harbor Freight IS NOT. Just pick it up and you can tell the difference in quality.