Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
rockintom

KC-0716 Module on 2011 DRV MS

My friend just bought a 2011 36' Mobile Suites. On the inside and top of the curbside bay door it has what looks like a square brown colored module about 5" square. The module has a sticker that says KC-0716 and that's all. No product info except the number. It does have a "on-off" rocker switch. It also has 4 AA batts. It's held on horizonally with 2 screws that go into the frame. On the underside of the module it has "rear" and "this side up". No connecting wires on it. Googling has brought up nothing. The coach has a 6 point Lippert jack/slide system, but not auto level. It also has a 9100 Dometic awning. No remote, just a hard wired switch. No keyless entry for door.

Anyone have a clue what this thing is and what does it do? Thanks in advance. Puzzled rockin'

rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
terry and jo

OK. This will be what you are speaking of, and if I remember right, it was a topic of discussion on one of the forum a couple of years or so ago. Sadly, CRS prevents me from remembering exactly what it does. Hopefully, someone else can help you. We've got one on our 2010, hence these pictures, but I suspect it is for something I never use. Our unit is now 5 years old and I've never changed the batteries.

We've got an appointment in a couple of hours, so if you don't have an answer by this evening, I'll try to look through all my owner's manuals for the coach and its components and see if I can find out for you.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
rockintom

Thanks so much Terry. I got the answer from another source. When you know the answer, it seems so logical. This didn't have a remote that came with the used coach. Having the "this side up" and "rear" embossed on the module is a dead give away that it has something to do with the leveling system. rockin'

"Years ago before they came out with automatic level-up, you had two switches for jacks. They also had a remote that told you the degrees it was off level side to side front to back. This remote was fed the information from the thing you see attached to the center of your basement. The bad thing it was constantly transmitting and ate batteries like crazy. I assume you probably don' t have the remote. Just kept you from having to use a level."
Old 10-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
terry and jo

Tom,

I don't think it has anything to do with the levelers. However, I think it is part of a system for leveling side to side when one first pulls or backs into a site. There is a device that sits remotely in the truck cab, so if the driver can see he's not quite level (side to side), before using the level up or other stabilizers, he can use blocks under the wheels or whatever.

The device that sits remotely in the truck has a visor clip for placing it on the sun visors. I guess its a kind of fancy-smancy level in the truck instead of one being on the nose of the trailer that can be viewed through the rear view mirror.

Pictures of the remote device are below. Note also that the model number on the remote display is KC-0715.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 10-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
rockintom

Terry, thanks so much for the info and pix. It's make sense to me. rockin'
Old 10-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #6
2 DA WDS

No blocks Terry, it came with the level up system and was basically a remote level. You used the leveler rocker switches to get it level watching the remote.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
terry and jo

Probably so, Tom. But, I'm old school. I prefer a 2-foot carpenter's level lying on the floor in front of the pantry and just inside the door. If I have to make multiple trips around the coach to check level, so be it.

Terry

Terry's Smugmug Site