Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
Begger

Heat Strips?

As a new owner of a previously owned MS, we're still learning the details about our coach. Cycling through the modes on our thermostat, I notice both zone 1 and zone 2 have a selection for "heat strips.". Is this just a place holder on the thermostat for an uninstalled option, or do I actually have something there? How do I know?

Temps are in the mid 80's here.

2007 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3520
"Waitin' for someday..."
Begger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
stanleyz

They shouldn't be on the stat if they are not on the trailer. Turn them on and see if you start getting warm air from the vents. Not sure if heat strips are in the A/C or an electric option on the furnace but select them and ste the stat temp high and see what comes on. As I said above all these electric head devices are running up the cost of RV sites, propane is much cheaper and more efficient.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
They shouldn't be on the stat if they are not on the trailer. Turn them on and see if you start getting warm air from the vents. Not sure if heat strips are in the A/C or an electric option on the furnace but select them and ste the stat temp high and see what comes on. As I said above all these electric head devices are running up the cost of RV sites, propane is much cheaper and more efficient.

Another amazing comment. Propane is cheaper for who?
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Probably only a concern if the elec is billed separately on long-term stays.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Another amazing comment. Propane is cheaper for who?
Maybe I'm not a good judge as I go to great lengths to avoid cold weather but I did google it and while there are a lot of variables most sites I looked at agree that given use of the same amount of energy all gas products are cheaper than electric including LPG. That is consistent with what I've know my entire adult life from living in a lot of different homes.

As RVers that is skewered because unless you are on a metered site, which are usually reserved to long term (monthly) sites, our use of electricity is baked into the rate cake and the users of electric heat are subsidized by the users of propane heat. It's also skewered by the high price of propane at RV parks.

So, not that amazing really. My point was that as more and more of these electric heaters and furnaces and fire places come into use park rates are going higher. Electricity is expensive and that cost will be passed on by owners of parks. I'm not suggesting anyone change what they do, just noting it as a general piece of information.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
rorr1821

I believe Cheap Heat is a good alternative to propane. If you are in cold weather you can go through a lot of propane, filling those bottles is a pain.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
porkchop

I pretty much have to agree with most of what Stanlez has said. We head to south Texas around Nov 1 each year as soon as the corn harvest is done. Stay there until first of March and then Arizona until end of April. Then back home to help with planting.

I personally do not like the noise from the furnace. Sound like you are sitting next to a race car. We do pay for our electricity in Tx and AZ and the cost dif between that and propane varies with the going rates. Some years elect, some years propane is the cheapest. I do not care. My cute little electric heater and fire place are virtually silent. Heater costs $39. How much for cheapheat? Same goes for the heat pump, way too noisy.
It all boils down to if you are staying in the frozen north or not. Then you probably can not get along without the furnace, wheather it's propane or electric. Then you have my sympothy.
I have called home in Feb to remind them that's 100d warmer in TX than NE. Choose what ever suits your travel style, but I can get by on 30A and run my electric heater. How about the cheapheat?

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
I believe Cheap Heat is a good alternative to propane. If you are in cold weather you can go through a lot of propane, filling those bottles is a pain.

Agreed!

Also it's not free to drive to get the tanks filled.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
I pretty much have to agree with most of what Stanlez has said. We head to south Texas around Nov 1 each year as soon as the corn harvest is done. Stay there until first of March and then Arizona until end of April. Then back home to help with planting.

I personally do not like the noise from the furnace. Sound like you are sitting next to a race car. We do pay for our electricity in Tx and AZ and the cost dif between that and propane varies with the going rates. Some years elect, some years propane is the cheapest. I do not care. My cute little electric heater and fire place are virtually silent. Heater costs $39. How much for cheapheat? Same goes for the heat pump, way too noisy.
It all boils down to if you are staying in the frozen north or not. Then you probably can not get along without the furnace, wheather it's propane or electric. Then you have my sympothy.
I have called home in Feb to remind them that's 100d warmer in TX than NE. Choose what ever suits your travel style, but I can get by on 30A and run my electric heater. How about the cheapheat?

Bill
Yes you can run CheapHeat on 30A. You will need to turn WH to propane. No different than running two small heaters or Fireplace and a heater.

Your furnace must have a problem. I don't think ours is "noisy". I have heard the Heat pumps are noisy.

Bottom line everyone should do what works for them. Everyones opinions are important to help with the decision making process.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
Begger

OK, so to bring my thread back to it's original question, it seems to be the consensus I actually have something installed on my trailer under the "heat strips" mode. Does anyone else have this option? Is my coach unique in this way?

By the way, the cheap heat thread is still alive and well.
"Waitin' for someday..."
Old 09-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
porkchop

Yes, if it shows up on your Tstat you actually do have electric heat strips in your rooftop units. Not to be confused with heat pumps. They are a different animal. Heat strips will work in all weather conditions. I have never had them so I can not tell about effectivness nor efectiveness. It is an option that I am not sure is still available. If memory serves me correctly it was fairly cheap.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
golf_bears

Begger, not sure what you have and would not venture a guess. Why don't you call the factory with your vin number and they will confirm if you do have the heat strips. They have the build specks.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
Begger

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears View Post
Why don't you call the factory with your vin number and they will confirm if you do have the heat strips. They have the build specks.
That's the best idea yet. I'll try to to do that and let you know what they say.

What's a good contact number/person?
"Waitin' for someday..."
Old 09-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
terry and jo

Begger,

I don't know what your situation is, but if you are dealing with a dealer, they can also take your VIN # and check with the factory. We were going to do something with our MS once, and even though Alicia at Rolling Retreats hadn't been our ordering dealer, she was able to get the information for us. If nothing else, the dealer would also know who to contact.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #15
Begger

Just an update. Turned on both units, selected the "Heat Strips" mode. The fans on both units ran, but no heat was generated, nor was there any "smell" of electrical heat strips getting hot. Either they were never installed, or they neither one work.

Will probably get a tech to take a look next time the coach is in the shop.

"Waitin' for someday..."