Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #41
clev

With the generator, the pin weight will be about 4200, and for me, that's enough. Adding 2~3 hundred pounds of sloshing fuel and tank, is more than I want. Putting a tank on the back rack should offset the weight of the fan a little.

clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #42
Chandler

I understand that. Hope it works out for you.

Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #43
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
With the generator, the pin weight will be about 4200, and for me, that's enough. Adding 2~3 hundred pounds of sloshing fuel and tank, is more than I want. Putting a tank on the back rack should offset the weight of the fan a little.
"the weight of the gen a little"!!! I hate auto correct.!!!!!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #44
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
clev,
I wasn't saying you shouldn't put the fuel tank on the back, I was just saying what I decided to do and that you could put it in the basement if you wanted and install it in a safe way. Is it because of the xtra weight or the space that you didn't want it there?
Yes, extra weight and space negates installing it in the belly. Being disabled prevents me from a 'between the frame' install. Easiest for me is going to be rack mounted or just use portable fuel cans and set them out each time.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #45
rorr1821

Quote:
Yes, extra weight and space negates installing it in the belly. Being disabled prevents me from a 'between the frame' install. Easiest for me is going to be rack mounted or just use portable fuel cans and set them out each time.
Sorry about my confusion on the Champion gen.

I am assuming that you have had your unit weighted. When I had each tire weighted at a rally my gross weigh for my truck was 14,400 lbs. which is 400lbs over the manufacture rating. I had a 2016 Ram dully Cummins with a 100 gal aux tank in the bed. I was using a B&W 25k hitch. My trailer weight was over 20,000 as I recall. Around 4000+ was pin weight in the truck bed. The axles on my unit were rated 8000 lbs each. As I recall one axle was over by 200 lbs. My concern caused me to add 2 bolts to the trailer hitch on DRV which increased the hitch rating. It came with 5 bolts with 2 bolt holes empty. My point in saying this is that the weight adds up quickly so getting each tire weighted is very important. I had a DRV 36RSSB3 which are heavy at the start.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #46
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I can't see any reason why the fuel tank cannot be mounted on the rear platform and correct fuel lines securly mounted under the trailer and run forward to the gen. No different than motorhomes having the fuel tanks up near the front axle running fuel to the rear powered diesel power plant. Make sure the platform is welded strong and no chance of breaking loose holding that weight of the fuel and tank.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #47
clev

Yes, this is the third time that I've had the unit weighed. This time I had removed the HEAVY sofa and theater seating; probably 400 pounds. I put my lift chair in place of the theater seating and a jackknife sofa for the rear. I also installed a washer and dryer. We pack light, but I'm always concerned about weight and safety. The rear 8k axles were ~14.8k and each wheel was around 3.5k or a little above; pin was about 3.3k. If I do this gen install, that's all I can add and will have to forget about the solar install. Although, I am over gross, my truck handles everything just fine. I've been from Texas to Virginia, to south Texas, Northern Arkansas, and have just returned from NW South Dakota; no problems pulling out, stopping, cross winds, climbing or descending hills.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:04 AM   #48
Chad Heiser

The only issue I see with putting a permanently mounted fuel tank at the rear of the trailer on a rack is there may be some federal regulations about exposed fuel tanks like that. I'd have to do some research before I committed to an install like that. Imagine what a rear end collision would do to that fuel tank and the ramifications that may ensue.
Chad Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #49
wingnut60
Site Team

Chad,
You have a valid point--it could be a real issue if using gasoline, not so much if diesel. Sure do see a lot of Class Cs with a rear rack and several gas containers constantly running down the road...there are a lot of us running around with near to or more than the maximum diesel load onboard that is allowed without proper tanks and signage.
If you ever make an AK trip, you will see all sorts of storage containers that defy logic and safety...
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #50
porthole

Quote:
if I can get the fuel tank problem worked out.
Did you get the tank problem resolved?

My plan is to have a fuel tank made by a local marine fuel tank fabricator and install it in place of one of the propane tanks.
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #51
Cummins12V98

I have zero issue with my weights. MORryde inspected my springs and they are well within their specs as are the GY "H" tires. I am at or under axle ratings on truck and under GCVWR. Not sure what truck you are using but any of the big 3 can handle a lot of weight.

My rear axle is slightly over at that time as I was hauling something I normally don't carry. Even so that is not going to cause any issue.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #52
clev

Not yet; I’m in no hurry until spring. I’m doing all the planning, measuring, and pricing now. I found the 6 kw diesel generator at Norwell’s for $7400, delivered, no tax. I’ve found a couple of sites that have the 20 gallon diesel tank that I need. So, it’s coming together.