Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
tow n slow

5th Wheel Tailgate necessary?

Hello,
Before I invest in a locking bed cover for my tow vehicle, I need to ask

Is a 5th wheel style tailgate necessary? I realize there is a convince factor BUT is there a Safety reason for having one? I don't mind opening and closing while setup or take-down of campsites. And I understand some folks damage there original tailgates by not closing or opening when they should.

I'm mostly interested in your comments that while my 5th wheel is connected properly to my tow truck can my tailgate be damaged while towing?

THANKS!!!

tow n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
fjr vfr

A 5th wheel style tail gate is just that. It is not necessary at all.
I have a Bak-Flip tonneau cover on my truck with a locking tail gate and it works great for me.

The only concern you have is the hitch height needed for your 5th wheel hitch to match the trailers pin height. If you have to mount it high you might not be able to use a tonneau cover. Most people can though. Just make sure before purchasing the tonneau cover.

fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Rhagfo

Well 5er TG is great to have they cut down on turbulence in the bed so items seem to stay in the bed.
Custom Flow makes locking 5er TG with a filler panel to make the bed secure.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:27 AM   #4
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tow n slow View Post

I'm mostly interested in your comments that while my 5th wheel is connected properly to my tow truck can my tailgate be damaged while towing?

THANKS!!!
TG no, Not while towing, although I have seen bed covers interfere with bed rail clearance(s) of front cap undersides, and long pin boxes, backing.
I recently witnessed a late model Ram 3500HD DRW that when coupled to a Winnebago 5th (short pin box?), could not lower his tailgate. This necessitated a notched TG.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
Goober

It’s only necessary if you want to give up significant fuel mileage
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

Goober,
Could you expand on that?
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
Notanlines

Goober, I also was interested in the fuel mileage quote. Thanks....
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
Goober

Wasting fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Here’s one example of why a RV tailgate is a bad idea.

https://removeandreplace.com/2015/07...te-up-or-down/

Doing this is worse than installing brush guard
Old 10-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
fjr vfr

About 20 years ago when the tailgate down fad was at it's height, Consumer Reports did a very complete report on the subject. They used two full sized pickups and two small pickups. They drove each pickup with their gates down and with them up. Each time they measured an exact amount of fuel in each tank. They further drove in varied conditions to simulate normal usage.

What they found was one of the large pickups and one of the smaller got about one mpg better fuel economy with the gate down and the other two pickups got about one mpg better with it up.
Their conclusion was the difference was slight enough to make it just personal preference to which appearance the owner liked.
Now about 20 years later I would think it would be less of a wash. The auto makers are doing everything to claim their truck has the best economy. I would bet they do extensive wind tunnel testing to that end. I once read an article written by a Ford and a GM engineer explaining why the bed lengths and widths vary between manufactures. It is due to adjustments made to get the best results for airflow.
So, I would side with tailgate up, but there is a lot of variables.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

Sounds like it boils down to personal choice, and ease of hitching up.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #11
Rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Here’s one example of why a RV tailgate is a bad idea.

https://removeandreplace.com/2015/07...te-up-or-down/

Doing this is worse than installing brush guard

Well that is with an empty bed! I see two BIG changes!

That big nose of a 5er creating turbulence in the bed. Many that run stock tailgates have stuff fly out of the bed.

Many also run bed covers, that also reduces fuel mileage, but negates the effect of the tailgate when not towing.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
03Roadking

I do agree that there is a negative effect on aerodynamics at the back of a vehicle that reduces fuel economy. That's why you see some large tractor trailers with those "tails" to smooth the airflow at the rear of the trailer. That being said I would think its not a one shoe fits all when it comes to a pickup. Cab design and bed length, I would think would play a role in the air flow over the bed and tailgate. Either way I haven't found a significant difference with the tailgate up down or with a bed cover.
03Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
friz

Great post. Got me thinking. My 5th wheel has a goose adapter, 15" straight up from the ball. When the arm swings it clears the box sides. I have been removing the standard tailgate when towing. Now I realize it is not necessary and I don't feel obligated to buy a snappy, cool 5th wheel tailgate. The only issue I see is hooking up. Now it will be gate down until the adapter clears the gate onto the bed. Put the gate up and proceed to center the ball. Things/stuff flying out of the bed? Don't mean to sound flip but be a little more sensible in what you put in the bed. If it flies out I suggest it should not have been there in the first place.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #14
Goober

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Great post. Got me thinking. My 5th wheel has a goose adapter, 15" straight up from the ball. When the arm swings it clears the box sides. I have been removing the standard tailgate when towing. Now I realize it is not necessary and I don't feel obligated to buy a snappy, cool 5th wheel tailgate. The only issue I see is hooking up. Now it will be gate down until the adapter clears the gate onto the bed. Put the gate up and proceed to center the ball. Things/stuff flying out of the bed? Don't mean to sound flip but be a little more sensible in what you put in the bed. If it flies out I suggest it should not have been there in the first place.
Oh boy! Instead of provoking a new argument, I simply suggest that you contact the MFGR of your RV if the chassis is under warranty to see if you have coverage for chassis or structural problems when a gooseneck is used. It is well known that coverage for these setups in RVs is spotty at best. I am not an engineer and I do not understand the technical aspects of the problem but MFGRs say that a GN hitch puts stresses on the fifth wheel that it was not designed for.

Happy travels.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:46 PM   #15
clev

MorRyde makes an adapter plate especially for the use of a gooseneck on their fifth wheel hitches; it is approved by DRV. I ordered the adapter and the gooseneck, had them delivered to my DRV dealer, and they installed it before delivery.
'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #16
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
MorRyde makes an adapter plate especially for the use of a gooseneck on their fifth wheel hitches; it is approved by DRV. I ordered the adapter and the gooseneck, had them delivered to my DRV dealer, and they installed it before delivery.

Found MoRryde but no adapter. Not sure what you mean by 'adapter and the gooseneck". To my understanding the adapter is the gooseneck. Anyhow, my 5th wheel was the standard pin and plate. My truck has a pop up ball installed. I bought a 15" adapter made by Eaz Lift (Camco) for around $350. My wife and I installed it in an hour. Please take a look at Eaz Lift and their goose neck adapters on the internet to see if we are talking about the same thing.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
Goober

Gooseneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
WOW! This is great news. I’m going to check into this. At one level it is not all that surprising given the massive frame in a DRV and their front platform reinforcements. Reese is not what it used to be. Getting rid of a platform hitch would be a big advantage especially as it relates to usability of the truck bed.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #18
clev

You are correct, friz, the gooseneck is an adapter to 'adapt' a ball mount instead of the pin. But, as previously stated, that alone 'may' not be good for your frame. The warranty is usually only a year, but the frame is the life of the unit. The Mor-Ryde adapter plate 'adapts' the g/n to the pin with special mounts to minimize the stress. Here's a link, hope it works:
http://www.morryde.com/products/72-g...rubber-pin-box
'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #19
Rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well 5er TG is great to have they cut down on turbulence in the bed so items seem to stay in the bed.
Custom Flow makes locking 5er TG with a filler panel to make the bed secure.

Well I may have to change my mind on this at least for a while!
The new to us 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW had a backup camera, while I don't rely on it still use side mirrors, it does make getting closer to the vehicle behind easier, and the park sense feature does the same for the vehicle in front. It would be great if those making 5er tailgates would make it so the camera and locking feature on the stock tailgate could be moved to the new 5er tailgate.